Woman Punched During Parking Lot Robbery Attempt

BROOKSVILLE – Yesterday RNRF reported three stories involving thefts and burglaries to exemplify what experts say is typical trend during the Holiday season. But analysts say violent crime like robberies, shootings, and muggings also increase, and that’s exactly what happened to a Brooksville woman last week when she was mugged in a grocery store parking lot.

Cheryl Wells shared her harrowing experience with a would-be mugger and although bruised battered Wells survived the attack to tell about it.

Around 6:30 p.m. on December 1st Wells says she pulled into the parking lot of Save-A-Lot on Cortez Blvd and sat in her car for a few minutes to read text messages. As she stepped out of the car Wells says she felt someone grab her purse. Wells clutched on tight to her purse and spun to her left to try and pull away from her attacker. That’s when the suspect punched her in the face, released her purse, and fled on foot.

Immediately after she was punched Wells says she “saw stars” and felt a lot of pain her eye. She then sat back down in her car and could vaguely see the suspect running towards Harbor Freight. Wells says her eyeglasses were badly damaged during the attack, making it difficult to provide a description to Law Enforcement. The only thing she could make out was that the suspect was African American and wore a dark hoodie.

Although several Law Enforcement officers, including K-9 and an Air Unit, conducted a thorough search of the area, the suspect was never located.

Wells initially refused medical attention but after she continued to suffer from pain she went to Oak Hill Hospital for treatment. Doctors told Wells that she had severe bruising of her orbital bones and suffered a concussion.

Wells says “I’ve learned to ALWAYS be aware of my surroundings and to stay alert!!!!”

victim

Comments
  • This is so sad. WTH is wrong with people.

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 2:02 pm
  • To the idiot quoting black lives matter..insinuating his opinion through his dry, and idiotic sarcasm. I guess you didn’t read the other stories, your apart of the problem.

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 1:41 pm
    • Bronson, finally someone mentioned blm,are you happy now? First off, here are only 2 kinds of people in this world good people and bad people, and they both come in all races. get over it.

Sunday, 11 December 2016, 8:15 am
  • Igotcha, do you not realize that you can suffer SERIOUS consequences for posting things that defame the character of this woman. I searched not only HCSO but surrounding counties and have found NOTHING that is Public Record for this woman. Seems like you are only out to hurt her and defend the POS!

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 12:57 pm
  • Igotcha, where is your proof of this allegation???, certainly not in Hernando county, just checked. Post where she was arrested for theft or shut up.bad mouthing a victim of crime.

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 10:29 am
  • I HOPE YOU FOLKS SAYING YOU CAUGHT THIS LOVELY WOMAN SHOP LIFTING HAVE PROOF BECAUSE I BELIEVE THIER CAN BE SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES FOR POSTING LIES !!!!!!!!

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 9:45 am
    • Thanks JIMBO well said.

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 12:52 pm
  • What does she get for trying to walk off with over $200.00 worth of stuff? Well, her picture is on news and hopefully posted so other stores can see her mug shot. Merry Christmas, I just stole your present at the store. She should be real proud of herself too. Seems kind of fitting that she tries to rip off a store and someone punches her in the eye and takes her purse. ha!ha!

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 9:04 am
  • She, herself, is a thief… Karma baby

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 12:39 am
    • So you say she’s a thief. Does that make it right for someone to physically harm her the way they did??? Maybe it was YOU who did this to her…you know, REVENGE!!! IMO, it’s because of people like you why things like this happen. Have compassion for this woman…that is if you have a caring bone in your body!!! SMH…a$$ hole.

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 11:08 am
  • For what it’s worth… I caught the woman in the pic shoplifting. She tried to push out a cart full, with over $200 stuff! So, I guess karma’s a…

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 12:34 am
  • If you do this three to four times I believe these kind of events would stop. If found guilty rap them in bacon and deep fry them. Then see how these crimes come to an end. Nobody wants heat on there ***.

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 12:23 am
  • this is why you always need to be aware of your surroundings. the world is a cruel place. There are literally thousands of drug addicts that are daily drug abusers in this county. my mom and I had a conversation where she said I was too paranoid of other people until 2 guys tried to steal her car at a business on sr50 with her in it luckily other people heard the situation happening and intervened. The dirtbags are out there. Teach your friends and family to pay extra attention when alone. These scum prey on an opportunity.

Friday, 9 December 2016, 7:55 pm
  • Can we take the ‘Red Light cameras’ from Broad/41 + Cortez/50 and Broad/41 + Wiscon and put them in the
    shopping plaza parking lots? It’s dark by 5:30 P.M. these days, light up those lots! There is a lot of foot traffic in that area. Up the road a ways at Suntrust bank I’ve been approached more than once while leaving the ATM. That was in broad daylight.
    They used to have a BPD sitting in the Drive-thru doing paperwork or something on the weekends, that was nice.
    Hope you feel better soon C. Wells.

Friday, 9 December 2016, 7:09 pm
  • I do hope the lady recovers fully and the guy is caught soon before he tries it again.

Friday, 9 December 2016, 6:36 pm
  • Beth You Want to Hang Everybody! I Say Cut Off His Testickles & Make him Eat Them! Then Tie Him Up like A Pinata & Give the Lady A Bat

Friday, 9 December 2016, 6:24 pm
    • Awesome Rebel.

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 6:50 am
  • So tired of hard working people having to be worried about low lives that are to lazy to even sweep floors for a wage. Sad thing is when they are caught, want to cry about abuse yet they don’t see the abuse they are causing on everyday people.
    Jails are filled with people that don’t care only to be set free to commit crimes again when released, because they have more rights than the victims they harm.
    Laws need to be harsher and see how they react.

Friday, 9 December 2016, 5:28 pm
  • Poor lady, hope her wounds (inside and out) heal quickly. What a loser, next is he going to steal candy from a baby?

Friday, 9 December 2016, 5:18 pm
  • This is suppose to be the season of joy and giving, if anyone tries that with me or I see someone else be assaulted it will give me joy to shoot his *** by giving him a .38 in his eye. If anyone thinks this is to harsh think about your family or friends going through this because some low life with waaaa waaaa waaaa background growing up. It doesn’t matter the hard life any one has or had they choose what they do and deserve to pay before they kill someone. Proven fact their crimes get more violent as they go along in life doing these things.

Friday, 9 December 2016, 5:06 pm
  • there is a harbor freight on 50?

Friday, 9 December 2016, 4:58 pm
    • thats what I said…..prayers for this poor lady!

Friday, 9 December 2016, 7:33 pm
  • When they catch this piece of crap and they will, hangem and than shoot him. Let’s put an end to these idiots who pull stunts like this.

Friday, 9 December 2016, 4:41 pm
  • Hope the get the SOB! He needs a few grains in his brainless head!

Friday, 9 December 2016, 4:39 pm
  • This piece of trash will try it again and I hope next victim has concealed carry and shoots him dead, I am sick of the thieves and low life people. Too bad hcso couldn’t find him and let the k 9 go and turn their heads for awhile. Hcso can’t be everywhere at all times, protect yourself legally people. I never go alone, but that doesn’t mean they won’t try. I hope the lady is ok and glad it wasn’t worse. Heal quickly. Get a job thieves, better yet move out of this state, go to Chicago south side, nah they would kill ya in 2 minutes. I don’t care what his family thinks, nor anything about his oh whoa is me life.

Friday, 9 December 2016, 4:34 pm
    • Oddly enough… I caught the woman in the pic shoplifting over $200 worth of stuff. So…”Hate a Thief”…

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 12:38 am
      • Me too.

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 7:11 am
      • Why would you pick a story like this to start crap. You know as well as I do you dont even know this woman.

Sunday, 11 December 2016, 9:09 pm
    • In Brooksville on 50 by the truck route area, same plaza as Applebees and save a lot and golds gym etc. they just built it within the last 6 months or so I think.

Saturday, 10 December 2016, 6:43 am
  • I hope karma runs his *** down.

Friday, 9 December 2016, 4:16 pm
  • Someone should pull that move on his own mother and see how he likes it…black lives matter

Friday, 9 December 2016, 4:14 pm