Woman Says Landlord Should Have Repaired Roof Before Irma, Now Forced to Leave Due to Leaks and Mold

SPRING HILL – A single mother of two children says her family is living in unhealthy and unsafe conditions inside their rental home on Drayton Drive, and she says the landlord should make repairs or help her move.

Jillian Pia lives with her son and daughter at 12333 Drayton Drive and have been there for nearly two years. At the end of the first lease in May of this year, Pia says she asked the rental agency, Kings Realty and Rentals, to make repairs to the roof that she believed were mostly cosmetic at the time. Despite several verbal requests over the last several months, only minor repairs were made to the home but not to the roof.

Over the course of the lease, Pia says she kept hearing noises in the ceiling that she thought might be bats or possibly a squirrel. Pia hired an exterminator to inspect the attic, where they discovered a rat infestation. Pia paid $149.00 for the service and was not reimbursed by the landlord, despite her lease stating that rodent extermination was included.

As it became more apparent that Hurricane Irma was going to pass directly over Hernando County, Pia asked the landlord to place tarps on the roof to prevent more damage. As Irma passed through the area, it tore away gutters and soffit that exposed previously hidden mold and extensive roof damaged. That’s when Pia began begging the landlord to fix the roof immediately.

I met with Pia at her home nearly two weeks ago, where she allowed me to view the damage. Pia explained that her son was suffering from breathing problems and that his Doctor suspected mold to be a possible cause. As someone who is extremely sensitive to mold, I became instantly ill and had to leave the residence after just a few minutes inside.After nearly a month of living with large holes in the roof and leaks in her son’s bedroom, King’s owner, Madeline Reyes-Bonilla met with Pia, along with an insurance adjuster and a roofing company. Bonilla told me during an interview at the residence that she offered to terminate the lease and give $1,100 deposit back if Pia wanted to move. Pia first accepted the offer but then changed her mind after realizing that she could not afford to move and put a first, last, and security down on a new residence. Now with the realization that mold could be harming her children, Pia doesn’t know what to do. She is willing to stay at a hotel but she would be unable to pay the rent while they make repairs; however, now Pia says that King’s has rescinded their offer to fix the roof and is demanding that Pia leave the residence immediately, due to her claims that mold is present.

Pia says she will move immediately if King’s will compensate her for having to move on short notice but so far they haven’t agreed to those terms.

Bonilla says Pia can contact her insurance company or file a claim with the homeowner’s insurance after they leave but that King’s can’t be held responsible for her moving costs.

Tests are being conducted to determine if the mold is harmful to humans.

Pia’s close friend created the following Gofundme page to help her raise enough money to move out and find a new home.

Comments
  • So newest news No Black found in report however they won’t provide us with a copy. We’ve been blessed found a new SAFE place to live…. But believe I will continue to protect families who may be put in this situation and hope NO ONE RENTS FROM KINGS REALTY AND RENTAL. What they done to us and others I’ve learned is illegal, unsafe and unfair. I won’t stop until I help others who may be put in this awful situation… I’m going all the way to protect ALL RENTERS

Sunday, 8 October 2017, 7:37 pm
  • Im having the same problem with mine as well and dont know what lawyer to call

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 1:45 pm
  • I had a friend who rented from Kings and they do not respond to anything that needs to be fixed. But when they want their money they right on top of it. My friend had holes in the house she reported and rodents would get in. plumbing was horrific. Windows falling out it was a nightmare

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 12:09 pm
    • Soooo sad….. And should be illegal 😢

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 4:43 pm
  • so sorry you were too sensitive to stay in the location longer than few minutes. that lady’s a stronger lady than you for sure

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 7:05 am
  • Maybe she could ask the realty company to find her another property without having to pay all the deposits since the lease was no upheld.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 6:45 am
  • I know it’s a little bit too late for this but the Landlord knew about the issues before the storm so what the renter should have done was taken her rent money and put it in an escrow account until the landlord fixed the original problem. Then, if the landlord would have taken her to court to evict her for non-payment of rent, she would have told the judge of the issue and she would have told her judge she has the rent for X amount of months and the judge would have told the landlord to fix the problem and then he/she would get their rent.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 10:43 pm
  • The Florida Residential Landlord Tenant Act prevails over what the lease says.

A tenant is entitled to the right of private, peaceful possession of the dwelling. Once rented, the dwelling is the tenant’s to lawfully use. The landlord may enter the dwelling only in order to inspect the premises or to make necessary or agreed upon repairs, but then only if the landlord gives the tenant reasonable notice and comes at a convenient time. If an emergency exists, the requirement for notice may be shortened or waived.

The landlord is required to rent a dwelling that is fit to be lived in. It must have working plumbing, hot water and heating, be structurally sound and have reasonable security, including working and locking doors and windows, and it must be free of pests. The landlord also must comply with local health, building and safety codes. If the landlord has to make repairs to make the dwelling fit to live in, the landlord must pay.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 9:31 pm
    • They also have to have screens that fit the windows, also if a window should break the new law states that they must put in double pain windows……………

Saturday, 7 October 2017, 8:15 am
  • What a SLUM LORD!!!
    If u rent from this KING lady, MOVE OUT!!!
    Screw her before she does U!!
    U know she will!! She’s a low life dirt bag!!
    I hope she gets ran over by a BUS!!
    Those damages r old as hell!!
    OBVIOUSLY!!!

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 6:53 pm
  • I guess Pia never heard the saying “Get it in writing” when it comes to landlord-tenant issues. This is just a common civil issue. Send her to small claims court. Or stick with gofundme, also known as begging.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 6:35 pm
    • Live and learn, you called it right on that one, positively worthless, as well as animal control!! Never seen as many worthless overpaid duds in my entire life. Well said. Doesn’t do any good to complain either, just won’t work. I feel sorry for the lady and children.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 9:52 pm
    • To live and learn..you are a real piece of work using the word “begging” God don’t like ugly you will pay for that. Maybe the homeowner who is using a rental agency because he is to embarrassed to show it himself should be moved into that house for 6 months. Thats what many cities sentance slum lords to. It shouldnt be “common” case to collect rent on a home in that condition. Clearly zero dollars went back into house.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 10:59 pm
      • Gofundme is beinging abused. Begging is the best definition. If Pia was a good mother she would leave the house in order to protect her children. The landlord offered her a way out, compensated her and terminate the lease. The landlord does not control Pia’s budget. Pia should stop looking for hand outs and instead protect her children. Just another example of bad parenting.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 5:10 am
        • Let me tell you something right now my husband my children’s father passed away years ago every decision every single breath I’ve taken has been for my children so don’t you dare judge me we are living between friends houses and hotels right now and I am doing my very best to keep my kids in school and keep their lives on track and not upset them that is my main concern so don’t you dare judge me we have been putting a disgusting awful illegal situation and I am making the best of it and all of it is for my children believe me if I didn’t have kids I would have been out of here the minute the hole fell through my ceiling again do not judge what you do not know about a mother they are my world and I am a lioness when it comes to my children get your facts straight

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 10:45 pm
        • Oh and by the way somebody set up a GoFundMe page for my children and I I did not ask for handouts nor would I ever I have worked for every single thing I have my entire life of 43 years again if you don’t know the full facts don’t you dare judge a mother they are my only concern so you should be shutting the property management who put us in this awful situation clearly if you read the stories Kings Realty is done this to other families I’m happy for you but if it happened to your family that you have $5,000 in the bank to hire Movers find a new place and up and leave God bless you for having all that not all of us do I advise you to keep your mouth shut until you know what the facts are

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 10:48 pm
      • Thank you.. you are absolutely right 🙏

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 10:35 pm
      • Thank you 🙏 you are absolutely right… I never in my life asked for handouts but they could have at least helped us get into safe new place. They have exposed my son to mold and I will be suing and believe me I don’t suing lightly but when it comes to my children…….. Do not hurt them… A lawsuit will be in full effect once we we are completely moved out

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 10:42 pm
        • There you go. That’s the real motive here. Money! You are keeping your kids in harm’s way for money. Glad money is so important that you will let you kids get sick. Once again thanks for being a super mom!

Thursday, 5 October 2017, 5:18 am
          • Money I’d not important at all to me so you can stop the negativity and judgment. And I hope you and your family are never put in a situation like this .

Thursday, 5 October 2017, 9:20 am
            • Money is very important to you. According to the story you were offer and accepted 1100.00 to move. You chose to stay. So your children’s health is worth less than $1,100. I struggle to understand why you feel the landlord owes you anything more than they have offered. If the home was is as bad of shape as you say for 2 years then you had plenty of time to save the necessary funds. If not, stop living beyond your means. Find a cheaper home that you can rent. You can’t do that because you want money for nothing. I guess hand outs are easier. Please raise your children to be better than their situation

Thursday, 5 October 2017, 2:27 pm
              • Again…. They have promised to fix roof for a long time and have not just like the offer for $1100 was probably another false promise. I do not live beyond my means but no Family should be forced out on the street because landlord won’t fix major damage. Not that it’s your business but we have been staying with friends and I come home to pack up and meet insurance adjuster because I am responsible and carry renter’s insurance and I had no clue my son’s sinuses could have been caused by mold until his ceiling got water damage after the hurricane that caused a huge hole. So again you can’t imagine what we’ve been dealing with for weeks.

Thursday, 5 October 2017, 6:02 pm
  • Slum lord And she should be reimbursed enough money to be able to find another rental that’s ridiculous and how do they think they’re going to rent the dump to somebody else with mold in it Code enforcement Should deem it un safe and unlivable

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 5:32 pm
    • PLEASE, You’re talking about HERNANDO County Code enforcers. HAHAHA. 10,000 comedians out of work and you’re trying to be funny. (Just being sarcastic, not personal)

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 7:26 pm
    • Ohh believe me they will.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 10:36 pm
    • Thank you that’s all I asked for was help getting us to safe place and help moving our stuff they still refuse and are just awful they definitely don’t care about their tenants 😢 I was so good to them we even bought them Christmas presents and paid rent 2 weeks early every month.

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 10:38 pm

Wednesday, 4 October 2017, 10:39 pm
  • Maybe there’s an attorney out there willing to help. Looks like landlord did not live up to lease agreement. Woman is in between a rock and a hard place. Might even need damages for health issues.

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 5:15 pm