Woman Served Frog Flavored Iced Tea at Local Buffet

BROOKSVILLE – Exotic delicacies are not what you would expect to find in a family style restaurant, but for one Brooksville family, lunch at a local buffet ended with a pair of amphibious eyes staring at them from inside a glass of iced tea.

Jowell and Kaitlyn Hearn say they were shocked, after Kaitlyn discovered a frozen frog among her ice cubes at Buffet City on Cortez Blvd.

The Hearn’s posted their shocking discovery on social media, which led to RNRF receiving dozens of viewer tips.

The Hearn family declined an interview, but they did say “It was an unfortunate incident and we will not be patronizing that establishment again.”

According to the Department of Business and Professional Regulations (DBPR), Buffet City has seen its share of Health Department violations, but most of those resulted in warnings that were quickly corrected by management.

In June of 2014, the restaurant received 63 DBPR warnings; 13 of those were high priority violations, like food temperature and live roach activity inside the kitchen.

During the most recent inspection in February of this year, Buffet City only had 13 violations with just 4 ranking as high priority.

Buffet City is located at 13235 Cortez Blvd, across from Sam’s Club.

Frong in Glass

Comments
  • @Kelli harris…..you’re the best!! Lol

I guess I have a stronger stomach than most, for this doesn’t make me want to avoid the restaurant. Had a dead baby lizard come out of the water tap of my new frig right into my glass just last month. Crap happens.

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 2:07 am
  • that frog is my prince… I kissed him and now I am happily in LOVE!!!

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 6:36 am
  • This is true my girlfriend works with the girl this happened to. I used to love this place its a shame but until I see improvement I will not be back. And I have had quite a few incidents where I had to use the bathroom as soon as I left there, I’ll spare the details but anyone who trys to disprove this by the color of the cup and they way the light reflects is an idiot. Y’all just mad cuz y’all ate that shit n now your finding out the truth

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 9:01 pm
  • On the topic of “Is The picture From There” (blue cups, etc.), the table top underneath the cup matches the table tops of my many trips to that restaurant.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 5:58 pm
  • Come on people, the photos may just be artistic representation. The point is ALL resteraunts are trying to make a profit and VERY few care at all about your health. If you dont like frogs and roaches maybe you should move out of Florida. ALL resteraunts have poorly paid employees who dont care about thier jobs, you think because the fast food joints grind up their bugs and mix em in your burgers they dont exist ?
    I’ve eaten at this buffet many times and I love it. Never gave me the skippies. Maybe y’all should go watch some more TV and let your brains continue their slow decay.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 2:26 pm
  • I happen to know this family. Has soon as the drink was placed at their table, the saw the frog. The took a photo of it, told the manager, and left.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 10:19 am
  • I was warned years ago to stay away from this place. We have never gone there, nor will we. This article was posted to give everyone the heads up. Who cares what the cup color is, if they sell coke or Pepsi. I truly believe this couple of a frog being in their ice. I know of the roaches running rampant and that to me is a telltale sign they have a much bigger problem. Wake up.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 10:09 am
  • Everyone really arguing over whether the pic is real… dont be crazy. Nobody has a motive to lie about this. Just ask the health inspectors if you should eat here. I will never go to that place my mom warned me about how gross it is a long time ago.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 9:57 am
  • HOw about we all ask for A tour of their kitchen? If they have nothing to hide they should welcome it, right?

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 9:30 am
  • The cup is blue they dont have colored cups.haha

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 9:21 am
  • How about we just relax and see how everything plays out.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 9:14 am
  • Because you print heresay and can not back up your articles, you are unsubscribed Tom.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 6:04 am
  • That place is disgusting. We had a Roach run across the food at the buffet and they tried giving us gift certificates. THE PLACE IS FILTHY

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 12:37 am
  • What do you want for $ 5.95 all you can eat and take home in your bag or pockets. Wouldn’t eat there if they were giving the food away. But some people love the price. Enjoy.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 11:02 pm
  • I got to-go sushi from buffet city not too long ago. I found a worm in my sushi. I went back to the restaurant & they just gave me a refund. acted as if it was totally normal for there to be a worm in my food. but ay, i guess its partially my fault for getting buffet sushi

Monday, 21 September 2015, 9:28 pm
  • Two things, 1st just above the logo of the cup is a clear line running across it. That does not exist on the actual cups.(yes there is one at the top we see that not that one go lower)
    2nd the right side of the cup is not the same as the left as far as the angle in which it goes up. The outline colors change dramatically from off white shadows of the table to bright white next to the cup. Look closer

Monday, 21 September 2015, 9:15 pm
  • Whole Hog, Whole Frog, with the price of any kind of meat these days, what’s the difference? ————— Just Sayin

Monday, 21 September 2015, 6:45 pm
  • This story is absolutely 100% true, my husband is a good friend of Jowell’s and he is a good honest man…

Monday, 21 September 2015, 6:01 pm
  • Skinny funny funny, they do serve frog legs in B ville. Coney Island, and Fl Cracker. But the best are at Catfish Johnnys in Lake Panasofkee. Will not eat at that buffet again

Monday, 21 September 2015, 5:00 pm
  • It’s a good thing she didn’t drink it that’s a cuban tree frog they are slightly poisonous.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 2:50 pm
  • Even though this restaurant is nasty, this photo was going around on the net years ago by multiple people giving different stories as to what happened to them

Monday, 21 September 2015, 2:49 pm
    • I considered the possibility of your statement and did a through search. Nothing turned up. I even turned to Snopes, which would have this story if it were truly a rehashed version of itself, and they had nothing on the topic.
      My best guess is that you have this confused with a story about a frog being found in a can of diet coke.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 4:32 pm
    • This is absolutely not true about another picture. This story is true!! I know these people, the man is an operating room nurse at BHB and plays Santa Clause at Christmas each year. I saw this picture, not long after it was taken at Buffet City. Look closely at that frog. It’s a Cuban Tree Frog which is an invasive species. Tom, if this lady does produce another picture, which is the same as these, please post them. I know Jowell and he’s a good man, who is highly ethical and would have no reason to lie about this.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 5:12 pm
    • You Are So Full OF Crap @ Tanya-Andy Walker, where?, when?, must be only on your computer, your the only one that has seen this before, only you,, strange…..

Monday, 21 September 2015, 5:33 pm
  • Yes, you are right. They only serve Peosi products which is why the cup says PEPSI-COLA. Nowhere in the cup does it say coke. You must work there or no someone who does, since you seem to want the accusations to be false. Lol. They are not false, they are very much true. I personally know the person this happened to.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 2:48 pm
  • Hey Tom can you please verify this story is true? There seems to be discrepancy in the soda glasses this frog is floating in. The frog probably came out of the ice machine. I’m sure things such as this happens in more places than we like to admit therefor I try to do most of my cooking at home but I love the sushi and hibachi grill at the buffet city and friends occasionally meet here so if you can verify this story I would be ever so grateful
    Sincerely a RNRF follower. You certainly would be doing myself and allot of food lovers a favor.
    Thanks Much & Have a Blessed Day?

Monday, 21 September 2015, 2:00 pm
  • YUCKY dept of health does not have this info, however you can go to myflorida.Com and you can find a whole list,PDf file hernando is in district 3,good luck, we eat out a lot and this is pretty sick. Thanks tom, anybody know of some good clean places to eat.,never mind, I am not hungry anymore.?

Monday, 21 September 2015, 1:42 pm
  • Yeah, it definitely says Pepsi on the cup, so the slander accusations seem false. The only way to forgive that is if, in the original story (eg social media posts) the accusers called their beverage a ‘Coke’, however it IS not unheard of that people would refer to all carbonated beverages as Coke.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 1:26 pm
  • Well this certainly changes my lunch plans!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 1:06 pm
  • you get what you pay for !! ribbbbittttt

Monday, 21 September 2015, 1:03 pm
  • This is a real story..not fake. She was drinking tea and the frog came from the ice machine. That’s how it ended up in her glass.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 12:58 pm
  • @ Khris Eikenberry can you see??? It clearly says “Pepsi-Cola”

Monday, 21 September 2015, 12:24 pm
  • I ordered tea there thank goodness it was normal never going back

Monday, 21 September 2015, 12:22 pm
  • I know the person that this happened to. It is real. And I’ve been to buffet city dozens of times. And it gross;but cheap. They have all kinds of cups they’ve accumulated in the time they’ve been open there.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 12:10 pm
  • I will never eat at that disgusting place!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 11:42 am
  • KOOOOLLLLLL…. i dont like frog legs though..

Monday, 21 September 2015, 11:26 am
  • This claim is completely false! Buffet City does not serve Coke Cola products, nor do they have these glasses! If you are going to make slanderous false statement, perhaps you should do your homework before you do!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 11:11 am
  • No that place is nasty my husband was going to sell them watermelon and when he seen the back of the kitchen he said we will never eat there! And they do serve sweet tea I don’t know what that lady is talk about

Monday, 21 September 2015, 11:08 am
  • I believe the dept of health has a list online. That lists the restaurants that are bad in the area. Maybe give them a call.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 11:01 am
  • The cup says Pepsi cola. Not coke

Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:56 am
  • OMG— I am physically ill just looking at that picture!!!!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:35 am
  • I find one thing wrong with this claim, Buffet City serves only Pepsi products????

Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:22 am
    • Yep, that’s what it says on the plastic glass . . . Pepsi-Cola.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 11:22 am
    • Of course it does and I plead needing glasses! I retract any statements I made prior! And apologize to anyone I offended!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 2:00 pm
    • The cup is BLUE and they dont have colored cups and they are smaller then that cup.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 9:04 am
  • There they go again
    We’ve been trying to git frogs legs served in restaurants in brooksville fer a long time
    Now spring hill gits it first Again
    I wonder Y ?

Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:18 am
  • Post the list please!!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:13 am
  • The roaches are not just in the kitchen. There crawl across the dining room.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:11 am
  • I keep trying to tell people that place is not GOOD…. my daughter worked for 7-Eleven for over 5 years and the food/health inspector would tell her about a few choice places that they would avoid…. there is a list I could post…

Monday, 21 September 2015, 9:38 am
    • I agree, it is disgusting!
      I would never eat there.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 11:42 am
    • Don’t just say it, post it

Monday, 21 September 2015, 5:25 pm