Woman Staves Off Would-be Burglar with Pepper Spray

BROOKSVILLE – A woman’s clear thinking and fast action may have saved her life today, after a burglar broke into her home and refused to leave on his own accord.

According to the victim’s husband, Jim Burda, his wife Ann was sitting on the lanai around 1:00 pm this afternoon at their home on Bock Lane, when a flock of startled crows alerted her that someone was on the property.

When Ann entered the home to investigate, she noticed a man hanging halfway inside the home through a front bedroom window.

At first, Ann called her husband who was not home at the time, in turn Jim called 911. Ann also called 911 and grabbed her pepper spray.

Ann yelled at the intruder and demanded that he leave, but he refused and continued his efforts to gain entry. That’s when Ann took matters into her own hands and sprayed the burglar with pepper spray, causing him to immediately flee from the residence.

Several deputies, a K-9 unit, and the Air Unit began searching the area within minutes of the call, but the suspect evaded capture.

According to officials, the suspect is described as a tall white male, thin build, wearing a red and blue shirt and baggy shorts. Investigators believe the suspect fled on foot to a nearby street, where he drove off in an awaiting vehicle.

Investigators say this is not an isolated incident and they believe the suspect could be tied to other recent burglaries in the area.

Officials urge residents to remain vigilant at all times and report anything suspicious, especially unattended vehicles or door to door solicitors.

To help combat would-be burglars and solve other crimes, the Sheriff’s Office has implemented their “Eyes on the Street” program. “Eyes on the Street” is a citizen based program, utilizing the use of privately owned surveillance systems to aid deputies in solving crimes.

Follow this link for more information on the program: http://www.hernandosheriff.org/Applications/CameraRegistration/

Burg 2 Burg1

Comments
  • What does color have to be brought into everything thing. Showing your true colors Doesn’t mean nothing, it’s your actions and your conduct. If you just admit your sun, except the lord into heart and doing what’s right from your heart, because everything else is meaningless. Your car, house, rv, wallet is all material things. Only when your true to yourself and the Lord is when things fall in place and im a true believer in that

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 4:49 pm
  • DUMB *** meth/pill heads…..you folks notice that DUMB *** LIBERAL comment?…you might get sued….spray baby spray….junkie burglar looked like a wasp…and I’m not talking White Anglo Saxon Protestant…

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 3:12 pm
  • Sounds very much like the guy who came in my house and refused to leave. I’m glad she had something to defend herself! If I had been home alone at the time the guy came in my house I wouldn’t have had a way to defend myself. Since that incident I have learned how to use a gun, took a self defense course, bought a baseball bat and have a can of pepper spray. My self defense instructor also said a fire extinguisher is a good item to use in a pinch. I hope who ever broke into her house is caught soon!

Saturday, 22 August 2015, 10:40 pm
  • Well you know that old saying. What they know wont hurt them 😛

Friday, 21 August 2015, 8:45 pm
  • So you can mame and kill an intruder but lord forbid you blind them? EFF that I’d blind them then shoot them and if I had time before the cops got there castration would be the grand finale.

Friday, 21 August 2015, 6:49 pm
  • Lol the hornet srpay is to make things equal for my girlfriend then after that di as you will, and always remember the one golden rule lose lips will sink battleship, qnd living in Florida my whole life i know where snakes, alligators and hogs that don’t talk about where their food comes from

Friday, 21 August 2015, 3:55 pm
  • WE HAVE ONE OF THE GREATEST SHERIFFS DEPARTMENTS IN THE COUNTRY

Friday, 21 August 2015, 3:24 pm
  • ONE MORE THING PKEASE FOLKS !!!!!!!! YOU DO NOT LIKE LIVING HERE THAN PLEASE MOVE !!!!!

Friday, 21 August 2015, 2:45 pm
  • WASP SPRAY IS GOOD AT 25-30 FEET !!!!!!!!! BETTER TO BE SUED THAN RAPED OR MURDERED !!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, 21 August 2015, 2:43 pm
  • If it was me and I caught that dirt bag breaking into my home I would assumed that he was there to rob me and do me harm and I would have stood my ground and shot him dead, I refuse to become another victim living in “Crooksville” and that is not a typo error., I meant “Crooksville”

Friday, 21 August 2015, 12:36 pm
  • Yes that to, but doesn’t spay as far as the hornet spray

Friday, 21 August 2015, 11:00 am
  • I swear by the OLD OVEN CLEANER SPRAY!…. works great on ovens too… lol lets getum !!!

Friday, 21 August 2015, 4:34 am
  • He will get caught

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 11:50 pm
  • *Four wheeler

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 9:40 pm
  • Maybe they are the ones that stole our for Wheeler!! Get a friggen job and buy your own s**t!!!!!

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 9:39 pm
  • Get a gun and shot the thug next time

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 9:17 pm
  • My girlfriend keeps honent spray next to her bed, and it will spray up to 20 ft or better. And i wouldn’t want that in my eyes lol…

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 9:03 pm
    • Using Hornet spray will premonitory blind the intruder for life and even though he was in the process of committing a crime he can sue the person that used it and possibly win a big damage suit, This was stressed by a security expert as not use it.

Friday, 21 August 2015, 12:44 pm
  • Glad everyone is safe wasp spray great idea I have to get me some of it just in case stay safe and alert,

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 8:27 pm
  • Good for her !! I hope they catch the guy !!!

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 7:53 pm
  • A few of these idiots get ventilated and thugs may get the message.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 7:38 pm
  • Very glad it all turned ok for this fsmily! I know from experience in emergency room that pepper spray will not stop someone on drugs,may I suggest a gun for protection if you don’t believe in guns then a good old baseball bat or iron skillet might be of better use. Personally I am not a violent person but if you are coming in my window you aren’t coming in to borrow a cup of sugar.

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 7:13 pm
  • This dude is lucky it wasnt my windo, he would have had a face full of buckshot and then he wouldnt be so hard to find just follow the trail of blood!!Glad everyone was ok and hope they find the little PUNK! HE WAS PROBABLY HEADED FOR HER PANTY DRAWER

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 6:16 pm
  • You go girl, glad she’s ok. wth man right in broad day light. Sense the world wants the us to change our ways here maybe ww should and bring and start using the eye for an eye and maybe these fool will think twice before doing

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 6:15 pm
  • Wow that was so smart of her. I’m taking my pepper spray out of my car n keeping in my house,,,

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 5:44 pm
    • You know what is more effective then pepper spray, a handgun and if you are a good shot, this guy will not violate anyone else or be a drain on our tax dollars sitting in our jails.

Friday, 21 August 2015, 10:48 am
  • Tom where is this neighborhood?? Is this part of the Royal Highlands incidents? Spring Hill / Brooksville is getting very uncomfortable to live in , sad to say 🙁

Thursday, 20 August 2015, 5:22 pm