Woman Tries to Shoot Dog – Shoots Fiance’ Instead

SPRING HILL – Officials say “Case Closed” after a woman accidentally shot her fiancé in the wrist, during an incident on Chase Street yesterday afternoon.

According to officials, deputies responded to 9217 Chase Street around 1:30 p.m., after receiving a 911 call from Cindy Kittelson, claiming she had just shot her fiancé Charles Jones.

Upon arrival, deputies met with Kittelson and Jones who both said the shooting was completely accidental. In the minutes leading up to the shooting, Jones told deputies that their two Pit Bulls, “Ruby” and “Blueberry” were fighting in master bedroom. Jones says, while he was holding the two dogs apart he asked Kittelson to grab their .38 revolver and shoot “Ruby” in the head. Kettelson retrieved the revolver, pointed it at “Ruby’s” head and pulled the trigger. Unfortunately, the bullet passed through the dog’s ear and struck Jones in the wrist. Kettelson says she called 911 and was able to place the dogs into cages before Fire Rescue arrived on the scene.

During the investigation, deputies located the spent round which had pierced a pair of jeans hanging on the closet. They also observed an injury to “Ruby’s” ear, consistent with the couple’s testimony. In addition, both dogs had several fresh injuries that appeared to be the result of fighting.

At the conclusion of their investigation, deputies confirmed that the incident was completely accidental and no charges were filed against Cindy Kettelson.

Animal Control was called to investigate the animal’s well-being.

shot 1 shot 2 shot 3

Comments
  • Oh Backwood, thanks for the laugh sma, hard day needed a good chuckle .

Friday, 18 December 2015, 9:41 pm
  • How is it you can get your dogs in the cage after the incident but felt you needed a gun to shoot the dog in the head first. To bad the bullet wasn’t closer to the family jewels as you don’t deserve children. Your pets are your children and if you did have 2 kids that were fighting I’d hate to see what your first response to breaking up their fighting would be. I feel sorry for the dogs and can’t figure out how you didn’t get charged with anything.

Friday, 18 December 2015, 2:12 pm
  • Pole Cat, I can only guess what sma means lol

Friday, 18 December 2015, 10:18 am
  • Proud Veteran SMH scratching my head / shaking my head. Don’t feel ignorant I didn’t know either until someone posted it on here. Lol

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 9:30 pm
  • Proud Veteran … SMH Shaking my head.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 8:23 pm
  • Well, I love my children too much to risk it. Sophia, there is very good reason police and the military use german shepherds, and anyone who would have a large dog in an apartment is doing the dog a disservice

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 6:00 pm
  • Weird time of the day for a dog fight.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 4:18 pm
  • What a sad story all the way around. If this woman was able to separate and cage these dogs before the police arrived why wasn’t this done in the first place. I hope and pray the dogs were removed from that house. For the guy to tell the lady to shoot the dog in the head is something that I just could never understand anyone being able to do and if they don’t care anymore about that poor dog than that does anyone really believe they will seek medical treatment for his ear?? What a couple of losers. As I said before, I certainly hope they took these poor dogs.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 3:22 pm
  • i seen to squirrels fighting..

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 1:15 pm
  • How old are all of you? 15 16? Cause it looks like it. I’m glad my family got out of springhill cause every adult in springhill is mentally retarted obviously cause your all acting like a bunch of teenagers on Facebook. Grow the F*** up and worry about adult things instead of fighting on a news article cause your all so bored with your life. Maybe that’s why all of you have been in springhill your whole life and you’ll rot and die in this weird a** town. You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves. Go get a life

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 12:57 pm
  • Let me add, the grandfather was on the porch with the dog and his granddaughter and still couldn’t save her.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 12:52 pm
  • Last year in Hernando Co. a 5 yr old girl was killed by the ‘FAMILY PET ‘ a pit bull 7 yrs old and had been in the family since a puppy, it never showed any aggression. The owner was her grandfather who lived with them. He has never been able to forgive himself.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 12:45 pm
  • Let’s for just one second forget the fact that there were pit bulls involved. This article is about a woman who discharged a weapon in a residential area at an animal because she was told to by her fiancé, missed, and shot him instead. Would the story be any different if it involved a different animal? Or even a different breed? Instead of attacking the victim and in this case the only victim is the dog that was shot (the fiancé ordered the shot so he is just as much at fault in my opinion) and start attacking the people who jumped to the violent act.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 11:05 am
  • Constance glad you think it’s better she shot him, not the dog,well need to read again, she shot both!So your think save a dog,shoot a person, that my dear is just plain stupid!!smh.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 10:51 am
  • @Backwoods hillbilly, German Shepards used to be considered a dangerous breed. There are still some apartment complexes that won’t allow them because of that. Then the majority of us humans came to our senses… Which breed of dog will you blame next for human stupidity?

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 10:32 am
  • Not to sound ignorant but what the hell does SMH stand for? I had a beautiful Pit years ago, she was very sweet and gentle, her parents were fighters. I had to give her away because at that time my daughter was young, and when she would come home from school the dog was so excited to see her she would jump on her knocking her down. She never got hurt but we were afraid one day my daughter would be knocked down onto the concrete and would sustain a head injury. We felt it would be better to give the pup a nice home without children or at least older ones. The dog enjoys life on a farm in Georgia.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 10:09 am
  • Shark of mud. That’s dumb. That’s like saying those little purse dogs are the norm.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 9:59 am
  • Some of these comments are just plain stupid.! I have 2 pits that are 15 and 14 years old, the only thing that is in danger around them are opposums, raccoons, squirrels, and rabbits that come into our yard. All the neighborhood kids come over and just walk right into the yard the dogs just look to see who they are and go back to sleep. I trust my dogs because I raised them right! Would never hurt my dogs and they wouldn’t hurt me.
    Dogs are like people unpredictable. I would trust both the dogs in this case without even knowing then before I would trust the crazies that were willing to shoot a member of the family.

Shame on them both. Glad she shot him instead of that poor dog.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 9:08 am
  • I agree with Hernando guy….I’ve known several people that have had pitbulls until they bit someone in the face. They were raised for generations to be mean dogs. This gansta Spring Hill mentality thinks it’s trendy to have a pitbull. I would disagree. Pitbulls are the white trash of dogs. I hope they all turn on their owners.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 9:04 am
  • Your very ignorant “backwoods hillbilly”.. Pit bulls are only mean when the owner makes them that way.. Get a clue!

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 8:51 am
  • What about all the Pitts that are used for Service Animals? Some people should clearly not own any type of animal…Go to the dog park in the evening. No tags on dogs, unaltered…

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 7:40 am
  • Eric you get this excited when you rub your dog or what man your a weirdo all you internet gangsters. There’s some grammar boys

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 7:37 am
  • Pitbuls are a fav of a low life pos. The few that are raised by good responsible families are great dogs. But most are “check out my badazz dog” possessions owned by hoodrats and white trash. Hence the reputation. 34606 at its finest!

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 7:33 am
  • These people SHOULD NOT get away with this!! What kind of message will this send to others??? Its ok to shoot an animal just because???? How disgusting of all the people involved including Sher. Dept!

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 7:23 am
  • why is she not being charged for attempting to kill the dog? It said he had the dogs apart so now we just go shooting dogs in the freaken head..this is the stupidist thing I ever heard and shame on the police for not doing anything and this bitch should be in jail..we just dont go around shooting our animals Jesus people!

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 7:20 am
  • Iballey, my Jack Russell that recently passed, had her 18 yrs, was never taught to chase squirrels or rabbits, but she did it anyway! Last post on this,better things to do.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 5:51 am
  • “Its not the dog , its the owner” is a pile of crap….

Purveyors of this myth also cannot account for the many instances in which pit bull owners and their family members are victimized by their pet dogs. From 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans, about one citizen every 18 days. Of these deaths, 53% involved a family member and a household pit bull.4 Notably, in the first 8 months of 2011, nearly half of those killed by a pit bull was its owner.

Most homeowner insurance policies won’t cover a Pitt Bull and will cancel your policy if its determined you have one. That’s no myth.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 5:48 am
  • Dear Judge: here are two other idiots from Spring Hill whom I am sure you will see one day in your court. I firmly believe that some how Gov Scott rounded up all the dumb asses in Florida and put them in Spring Hill with good law abiding and loving people and that these creeps are trying to escape!

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 5:28 am
  • “Common sense,” first I’m going to need you to practice proper spelling and grammar before correcting people, you meant ALLOWED, not aloud…
    ….I own two dogs, one which is a pitt and my mother’s chihuahua is meaner than he is. Pitts get a bad reputation because these jerks get them, assume they’re supposed to be great watch dogs, and make them mean by not letting them interact with people, among other things. No, specific, breed should be targeted for anything because all animals can fight, it’s in their nature….that doesn’t mean we randomly shoot them.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 1:57 am
  • Hernando county has way too many dumb ass people especially everyone who thinks pit bulls are even a real dog breed. They are mixed and should all be put down. Doberman pincers and rottties are real breeds.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 1:53 am
  • Ok too the grammar nazis sTFU! Grow up! Use your common sense bish!

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 12:58 am
  • To CB: http://wavy.com/2015/12/13/child-seriously-injured-following-dog-attack-in-chesapeake/

And then in all seriousness: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Rumors-Swirl-Around-Necropsies-in-Babys-Ferret-Mauling-290357721.html#

It can be ANY dog, ANY breed, and truthfully ANY animal – not just dogs.

And Crazy b: Well, I at least take comfort in knowing that you’d thankfully never own one. I have had 3 in my life, each from 5 wks old til old age, and have never once had an issue. Only loyal, good-natured, kid-snuggling (my boys, nephew, and neighborhood kids) bed hogs. But to each his own

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 12:20 am
  • You know I laughed hard at this headline before reading the story and laughed even harder at some of these posts. Yes they can be dangerous dogs. I use to have a really bad opinion of pits. However, I have been around some lately that are the biggest babies that wouldnt hurt a person. You need to use common sense and not go purchase a pit if you have children and raise a dog like this currectly. Its like people you cant always judge a book by its cover. Yes dogs fight and so do children. Shooting them wasnt the answer obviously. Some learn the hardway in life. You all need to stop fighting and enjoy the humor here.

Thursday, 17 December 2015, 12:09 am
  • Hillbilly you are just one ignorant person. Smdh!!! I hope and pray they took those two fur babies away from that psychopath woman. Animals only do the things they are taught to do.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 11:43 pm
  • Erik, your posts are the best. Thank you.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 11:36 pm
  • I dont when hernando county will out law these killing machines like they are in Parts of Miami i know all to much about these dogs .Dont say how they are raised its in the breeding of them i only know a good one is a dead one just look it up how many people are hurt or even killed by these dogs so dont say anything till you do your study on them so call me names it does not bother me its the way im trained

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 10:07 pm
  • if animals are fighting do not get in the middle of it. hopefully a lesson learned. also do not start discharging a firearm off in the house especially if there is no life or death circumstances for another person. guns are not a resolution to a minor incident. I wonder if its the same dogs that are generally wandering around outside off of chase street. Usually a couple of medium breed dogs that resemble pit bulls. Nothing against the breed but seriously people need some sense before taking on responsibilities ranging from taking care of another life to guns.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 9:36 pm
  • Amy Wonder….upstanding is one word…not two

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 9:30 pm
  • Brandy….it is spelled SEPARATED …. Not seperated.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 9:25 pm
  • ..says ….. You may want to look up usage for they’re, their, there. You’re not even close to using these words correctly.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 9:23 pm
  • CAN ANYBODY ON HERE SPELL!?!?!?!? And before you blame autocorrect just look at the word usage on top of the terrible spelling. Most of you have no business criticizing anyone about anything with the awful grammar you use.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 9:19 pm
  • Common sense, you are funny. Correcting others, but you use “aloud” when it should be “allowed.” If they can’t handle the animals, they shouldn’t own them. Hopefully, these dogs are removed. In regards to statistics, this is from the website dogsbite.org: In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (326).

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 9:02 pm
  • Regardless of this bickering about who is the smartest dumbass, I rescued a male this summer, someone posted on a found animal page that this guy was a stray. I have had him since July and the only issue we had with him was he didn’t like to be alone, so I got him a female. they play hard and love even harder. I have 3 kids between 6 to 10 and at no time am I ever worried for their safety. I did however have to get a king size bed because they were getting a little much for our queen size bed. I introduced both animals into my home with a plate of bacon. there’s no reason to worry.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 8:58 pm
  • I have two pits and they occasionally get into a fight that is when you seperated themy plain and simple you do not shoot them my pits are of no danger to our family they are great pets.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 8:46 pm
  • To everyone who is afraid of pitt bulls or have any ill will towards them did you know, all dogs bite. Since you like looking up satistics and all that jazz go look up the statistics of Chihuahua bites and poodle bites and Rottweiler, doberman, labadors, i have yorkies and a chiweenie and their bites hurt… hell on a bad day i bite too…

Hope those dogs were removed from their home and they should not be allowed to adopt or purchase dogs or any animals for that matter s**t they dont even need plants..

My rabbits were fighting earlier should i shoot one and not the other? Really… come on… i mean seriously thats just stupid.

Was the gun registered? If not did they take it away because those two gems don’t need it..

How old was the couple just curious…

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 8:42 pm
  • Go ahead, call me names! My family and friends know I am a good honest person, don’t really give a shit what you think!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 8:26 pm
  • Jimbo, if having an opinion is ignorant then that obviously it would apply to you ,I agree these owners should be charged with a crime anyone who would shoot their own dog deserves jail. Karma got him, hope it’s painful.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 8:10 pm
  • What a couple of morons. Geezus!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 8:05 pm
  • It’s “their” people, and Pitbull Ownee…. Don’t you mean “owner” and “dead” dog. People learn how to spell, and proper grammar.
    These morons should not be aloud to own dogs or guns! God forbid if they have, or plan on having kids… SMH!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 7:46 pm
  • I totally agree with Backwoods Hillbilly , having been cornered in my own garage by one, husband almost being attacked by one in our own bsckysrd. Look up the statistics on Pitt bites in state of Florida. I like most dogs but pit bulls are dangrrous, period, so go ahead call me names, don’t csre. People that shoot them in their own home have to be a little off their rocker, I will give you that , must have not been a good doggy after all!!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 7:39 pm
  • ill bet you 100 bucks they arent fixed and no shots,,shoot the owner something is foul here

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 7:17 pm
  • Karma is a Bitch his wife should have taken one dog and put in a room with the door shut so they could handle the situation dogs do fight just like humans should we shoot one of the humans each time one fights this is BS!!!!!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 7:17 pm
  • I don’t understand why it does not seem like a big deal that she was trying to shoot the dog in the head?! I think she should have been arrested for that!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 7:08 pm
  • A. Felony charges for shooting an animal are ridiculous!
    B. They are animals not humans lets not get carried away with murder charges. Jesus you can kill a person and get less. Om not saying it’s right to do so but if someone’s dog attacks me i dont want to face murder charges if i shoot it !

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 7:03 pm
  • I’ve had pits, they got along with each other but when they were around another dog they attacked. Would never have one around my grandkids . You ignorant idiots want to risk your family’s lives, I feel for them. I have 2 wonderful german shepherds that I raised around kids. So f u

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:59 pm
  • Wtf instructs their woman to shoot their dog in the head? Inside your bedroom and after you have them separated? I hope HCAC is smart enough to take away these morons animals!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:59 pm
  • I think the name Backwoods hillbilly explains a lot, and hopefully YOU don’t own any dogs! Pitbulls are no more nasty or vicious than a cocker spaniel, a rottie or yes, even a chihuahua (THEY can be nasty little things!) – it’s what kind of people own them and how they’re raised that determines 99.9% of the time what kind of temperament they have. Educate yourself please.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:57 pm
  • Backwoods hillbilly are you stupid or just an asshole?? I have 2 pits that get along great and love each other. It’s the ignorant owners that can’t control their animals who are to blame!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:57 pm
  • Remove the animals please. Because if the bullet would of got the dog they probably would have just toss the died dog on the street. How could someone just shoot the dog. What made the dogs start fighting in first place.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:55 pm
  • SpringHell, agreed! know a few people that own them and besides them knocking you over while ‘playing’ not realizing their strength, awesome dogs!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:54 pm
  • WTF! since when is it ok to just shoot your dog and not be charged for it???? Wow hope animal control takes those poor dogs away from those idiots! Smdh

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:52 pm
  • ” … ” lol!! two or 2… or “To backwoods hillbilly( hillbillies ) ” and then : or , some kind of seperation i think is needed. especially if you are going to be throwing names around.. just saying. though i could be wrong

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:51 pm
  • Why in God’s name could she not get the dogs in the cages in the first damn place!!! Who the heck shoots there [email protected]$king dog! And you wonder why they want to take guns away from the responsible people! SMH PLEASE tell me they took those poor dogs to safety!?!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:50 pm
  • This is a SMH moment…Pitts are not bad they have bad owners…guns,violent dogs…wonder what these fine up standing citizens are up too….

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:42 pm
  • Nothing wrong with pits, it’s the OWNERS or the ppl that own them. WTF is wrong with these ppl? Take the dogs away. NOW! You don’t shoot dogs! WTF! Arrest these ppl for attempted murder to a living being. January 1, it will be a felon!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:13 pm
  • Pits are not trouble, humans are the trouble!!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:13 pm
  • This type of owner is why pits get their bad reputation. They need to be removed and given to responsible owners.

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:11 pm
  • Backwoods hillbilly you’re ignorant

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:10 pm
  • To backwoods hillbilly first of all your name says it all.. You sound like an idiot & clearly know nothing about pitbulls but this couple shouldn’t have dogs if there going to resort into shooting there animal . Point blank period .

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 6:09 pm
  • 1 pit is trouble, 2 is a disaster waiting to happen!

Wednesday, 16 December 2015, 5:57 pm