Wrong-way Crash Kills One, Injures Two, Alcohol Possible Factor

LECANTO – A Homosassa woman died, and two others were injuries, after an early morning head-on collision on SR-44 (W. Gulf to Lake Hwy).

Accord to the Florida Highway Patrol, 59-year-old Cheryl Lynn Reese of Auburndale was traveling eastbound in the westbound lanes, near South Thayer Ave, when she collided head-on with 23-year-old Kaitlin Jean Carroll-Cruz of Beverly Hills.

Reese suffered serious injuries but her passenger, 56-year-old Pamela Jean Allen of Homosassa suffered fatal injuries and died at the scene.

Cruz suffered serious injuries and was transported to a local hospital for treatment.

Investigators have not ruled out if Reese was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash.

Charges are pending.

Comments
  • Drunk as a skunk

Monday, 14 May 2018, 7:38 am
  • Once again a preventable accident while it isnt an accident it’s premeditated murder and that’s what the charges should be for idiots that drive drunk or impaired on anything ! No excuses

Sunday, 13 May 2018, 9:12 pm
    • Yup

Monday, 14 May 2018, 1:43 pm
  • It’s that “It’ll never happen to me” mind set. People are just downright IGNORANT these days. If it turns out she was drinking and driving they need to throw her stupid ass in jail and leave her there. You drive drunk and maim or God forbid kill someone they should lock you up and when you do get out have your license permanently revoked.

Sunday, 13 May 2018, 6:13 pm
  • Shameful Ms Reese, at your age there’s nothing to say. No fool like an old fool.Off to prison with you idiot!

Sunday, 13 May 2018, 4:51 pm
  • My prayers are offered today to Pamela Jean Allen’s family and friends. Also to Kaitlin Jean Carroll-Cruz’s family and friends. Also to the family and friends of Cheryl Lynn Reese. They will continue to be offered every day for healing, for forgiveness and peace to all families involved. Tragic mishap but it might have been avoided if alchohol wasn’t involved. I hope it wasn’t, but FHP normally is correct. Sad mother’s day for many.

Sunday, 13 May 2018, 2:55 pm
  • I don’t know what’s wrong with people. It’s becoming a crap shoot just to go for a drive lately. I encountered one the other day, heading South on I 75 at the intersection with SR 52. Looked like the guy in a silver pickup had maybe taken the wrong turn and just decided to make a short cut of it and had turned around and was driving North on the shoulder of the South bound lanes. Idiot. Scared me to death as I was in the right lane and he was heading right toward me. Could have over reacted and caused an accident within the flow of traffic. No cure for stupid.But I suppose he thought he was smart, saving time and all…

Sunday, 13 May 2018, 1:49 pm
  • I guess people will nver learn. Very Sad!

Sunday, 13 May 2018, 1:29 pm
  • Keep drinking, ladies. Next time it may be your own kid you kill.

Sunday, 13 May 2018, 1:04 pm
    • I think she’ll be too old to drink by the time she’s healed up and out of prison.

Sunday, 13 May 2018, 4:57 pm