Wrong-Way Driver to Blame for Head-On Collision that Claimed Two Lives

LECANTO – A wrong-way driver is what officials say led to a head-on collision that claimed two lives Sunday.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, around 9:25 p.m. Julie Lynn Hanselman, 48, of Dunnellon was driving an Infinity RX35, westbound in the eastbound lanes of West Gulf to Lake Highway. Carman Christine Howe, 47, of Inverness was traveling eastbound in a Hyundai Tucson when both vehicles collided head-on, east of S. Leona Ave. The impact caused both vehicles to burst into flames, killing Howe and Hansleman.

Officials have not ruled out alcohol as a contributing factor.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, redistributed. ™2013 – 2018 RNRF Incorporated.

Comments
  • Surfadude, you are right-on! Defensive Driving…. Nobody seems to know how to do it anymore!! Everyone is too busy with music, GPS monitors, cell phones, and other gadgets they forget they are in a 2,000 pound bullet traveling at a velocity of 50 to 75 miles an hour, and headed straight toward possible doom! If you’re reading this, and you’re a driver, you need to think about this message every time you get behind the wheel of the family missile. You might even want to pass it along to anyone else who has a car!!!!

Monday, 29 October 2018, 6:56 pm
  • Sending prayers to all involved

Monday, 29 October 2018, 5:45 pm
  • katherine did it say anything about alcohol? jumping the gun a tid bit wouldent you say?

Monday, 29 October 2018, 4:32 pm
  • Got a few dollars in yer pocket, goin out drinkin and druggin

Monday, 29 October 2018, 3:58 pm
  • Lighting isnt the problem! Ive driven the dark roads of NH for years yoi just ha e to pay attention!

Monday, 29 October 2018, 3:41 pm
    • I never said lighting was the problem to that accident at least I offered prayers to the family. In general a lot of these roads are dark when you make a turn. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone. It just seems everybody is a judge or jury on here with out facts. Yes we know they were on the wrong side but whatever else we don’t have much facts except 2 people have died. Offer Condolences to the family and pray those souls are R.I.P. now and yes I’ve driven the roads in NH too.

Monday, 29 October 2018, 10:20 pm
  • How very sad very very sad, vavo, you’re very correct there are tons of roads and millions of miles of Highway here that have no lights, probably will never change my question here is did the wrong way driver have her lights off?? because I always wonder on these head-on collisions and again before I say this I know everything is situational every situation is different, but how do you not see another set of headlights coming at you if you’re looking ahead on the roadway while driving? which is what all of us should be doing ahead behind and to the sides, like I have told my sons both of them being young drivers of told them constantly when you’re driving, rotate your eyeballs and a constant 360 never stopping like a radar Tower because what goes on behind you is just us important to a point as to what is in front of you, basically constantly scan the situation on the road Non-Stop, just seems a lot of these head-ons on 75 even larger highways than 44 I always wonder how do you not see what’s coming at you and get off the road route of the way, anyway my prayers go out to the families of these women.

Monday, 29 October 2018, 2:03 pm
  • Stupid useless drunks

Monday, 29 October 2018, 12:28 pm
  • Prayers out to the family’s. Lighting in Florida sucks on roads

Monday, 29 October 2018, 10:44 am
    • Move, see ya

Monday, 29 October 2018, 7:35 pm
      • Sorry you came on to site you only came on to criticize and not a kind word to the families who lost their loved ones.

Monday, 29 October 2018, 10:29 pm