You May Not Be Eligible to Vote in the Upcoming Primary

HERNANDO – As we grow closer to the Presidential Preference Primary on March 15th, some voters are still undecided on who they think should be the next President of the United States. With this being one of the most unorthodox election cycles in recent memory, a lot of voters are crossing party lines to vote for their preferred candidate.

Florida is a Closed Primary State, according to Hernando County Supervisor of Elections Shirley Anderson, and that means you must be registered with your respective candidate’s party to vote in the upcoming Primary. Anderson says that 27% of Hernando County Residents are registered as NPA (No Party Affiliation) or as a member of a 3rd party. Those people will be ineligible to vote – but it’s not too late to change, says Anderson.

The deadline to change your party affiliation is February 16th and you can do so by following this link: http://www.hernandovotes.com/Voters/Voter-Lookup-Tool

You can also visit their offices at the Hernando County Government Center, located at 20 North Main Street, Room 165, in Brooksville, or the Forest Oaks Gov. Center, located at 7443 Forest Oaks Blvd in Spring Hill.

Comments
  • Jason, “conceivably have 2 Democrats to choose from, and not a single conservative option.” If that is the will of the people so be it! At least the people would need to know a little about the candidate and not just vote for them because they have an R or a D behind their name! It might open the door for independents! The problem in this country we are no longer Americans we are Rs or Ds!

Wednesday, 13 January 2016, 9:50 am
  • I bet Democrats hate to lose your vote littlebit! Laws are laws and it seems you have found a party that has inspired you. Seems like you are a great fit! All the best to you

Tuesday, 12 January 2016, 8:36 pm
  • Sarah – Valid point, but then you’re just voting for a party that doesn’t represent you at all, and you wouldn’t be able to vote for the candidate that best matches your beliefs, unless you plan to change your party registration every 2 years. Seems to be more of a headache than anything else.

LittleBit – I never said your vote shouldn’t count. Actually, I don’t recall saying anything remotely close to that. I’m saying that we should have an open primary system that requires you to pick which party’s ticket to vote on within a certain time threshold, to avoid people just choosing on election day, which side they’re voting for. Actually, that’s the set-up in Iowa. You can choose on the caucus night which party to vote for. It has too many flaws.

Sam – I’m with you…..get rid of party ID on the ballot. School board races are non-partisan, and President Washington was against a party system to begin with. Of course, then you end up with the unintended consequence of the system that California has for statewide races – an open primary where you can conceivably have 2 Democrats to choose from, and not a single conservative option.

Tuesday, 12 January 2016, 8:16 pm
  • Little bit, not trying to be mean, but 18 to 24 is 6 yrs.

Tuesday, 12 January 2016, 5:15 pm
  • Maybe we shouldn’t have party id on the ballot period? All primary candidates only a single ballot! Top two vote getters face off in the general election! Thus you could end up having Bernie Vs, Hillary, Cruz vs, Carson or who knows in the general! It would eliminate the game playing!

Tuesday, 12 January 2016, 2:49 pm
  • Actually í agree with you Sarah. Not saying your wrong Jason. BUT the reason í agree with Sarah is because this is the first time in years í think I ever watched the news & pay attention or even had an opionin about presidency. When í turened 18 and was able Obama? was his voting term. I didn’t go. And now im 2424yrs two children working single mother who was raised thinking í guess..[because í was told í didnt care]…but was a democrat. WTF. I have now my own opinions and set of mind and living much different than 8 years ago from 18.to 24. And why jason should my vote not count because í once was refered as a democrat. I.am a republican. I have tuned in with all theroy of different conspiercies and relized that the way ill head in. BUT guess what? I am a felon [and í.shouldn’t be] i did mistakes when í was younger changed my life BUT I CANT VOTE now because í have no rights? But [my bf cuban] but they have more of a rite than í? Or í cant vote cuz í fuked up once years ago. Or í would either no voice becuase í was a democrat now want to stand for the reasons of republicans… Why is that okay jason? Sarah did í co sign on the point of what you were getting at?

Tuesday, 12 January 2016, 1:57 am
  • Can’t you do that anyway?? I mean… If I were a Democrat I could register as a Republican and vote for the worst, right?? Who is checking this???

I am not a Republican or a Democrat, and I actually vote for the candidate I believe in… So… I believe I should have the opportunity to voice my stance without having to compromise my ideals, right??

I guess I am a bit idealistic in thinking people would actually vote for what’s best for the country…. lol

Tuesday, 12 January 2016, 12:26 am
  • Sarah, because that’s how you avoid having Democrats voting for the worst Republican in the race to help throw the election for the Democrat, and vice versa. If I’m an independent and can decide to vote for the Democrat that I think has the least chance to win, to help get the Republican elected, how is that right?

Monday, 11 January 2016, 4:33 pm
  • @markey is that how you think it works ok……

Monday, 11 January 2016, 9:50 am
  • I like the way it is now. That way a group of Liberals can’t decide who the Conservative party puts up against their candidate.

Monday, 11 January 2016, 8:34 am
  • Ursula, the part time jobs are the result of OBummer care. Businesses will do what it takes to survive, there will always be abuses in corporate America. The flat /fair tax is the only way to have everyone pay an equal share.

Monday, 11 January 2016, 5:26 am
  • Jason, why should you have to declare in a six month window whether you choose to be a Democrat or Republican? Why don’t you believe we should be able to continue to be independant? That makes little to no sense to me. I don’t typically vote Democrat or Republican, so do you believe my voice shouldn’t be heard at all?

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 11:38 pm
  • Do any of you have any idea of how manipulated you are by politicians and the major political parties?? It’s sad. Truly sad. I will continue to vote for the candidate that I believe in and ignore the BS.

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 11:31 pm
  • I am in a party other than the rePUblican or democRAT parties. I do not intend to switch parties. If my party (America’s Party) fields a candidate I will support that person if they hold to the party planks. Otherwise I will vote for the person I can cast a vote for in good conscience. I will not vote for someone I am opposed to simply because I am more opposed to another. I know the response will be “you are throwing your vote away”- bull crap. I am voting for the one I support and no other.

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 10:43 pm
  • No one is stopping them. The people Bernie wants to tax don’t do those things, except for the living it up part. They keep their employees part time and hire more people rather than giving insurance. They pay bare minimum forcing their employees to work second jobs to make it. Then call them lazy bc they work 3 pay time jobs but still can’t afford their own insurance and don’t have the time, money, or child care to go to college so they can earn more. That’s why Bernie says make them all pay higher wages, then he takes a chunk in taxes and turns it into the best child care, education and healthcare for everyone at a much lower rate than the ones that pay for it are paying now. Hmmm, much better coverage for everyone THAT WORKS FULL TIME for less money sounds good to anyone with common sense.

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 9:47 pm
  • It’s why I keep myself registered as Republican even though I’m independent. There is typically not a huge difference in the Democrats, but Republican vary wildly.

I wonder if Trump will still be in by the time we get to vote in March…

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 9:19 pm
  • Well said Backwoods hillbilly , I know that’s how I was raised if you want something WORK FOR IT! I did and never felt anyone owed me anything and still don’t They earned it, now one needs to think they are entitled to anyone else’s money.

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 9:12 pm
  • Well Robin Hood, take from the rich and give to the poor! What happened to earning your way by working? We already have a lot of people who believe they are entitled to go through life on someone else’s dime. Shouldn’t they be allowed to use their money to expand business and create jobs or even live a lavish lifestyle that they earned.

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 8:38 pm
  • Here is a question Anyone but Clinton, In Hernando County, if you are elected to the commission district 4 seat, who do you represent?

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 8:20 pm
  • Sadly, people should know voting rules, glad you post this for the uninformed..

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 7:41 pm
  • That’s wonderful but think how great it could’ve been if she could’ve devoted herself to her studies and not had to work as much. College is very expensive and anyone that wants to succeed should be allowed to do so. Bernie has a plan to place a small tax on shares traded on Wall street to pay for college for all. Don’t you think it’s about time for the 1% to pay their share? I do!

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 7:32 pm
  • Closed primary states are ridiculous. You basically have to identify as something you’re not in order to have a voice. In my opinion, you should be allowed to be an independent, and have to declare within about a 6 month window whether you’re voting on the GOP ticket or the Democrat ticket.

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 6:24 pm
  • Can’t say I blame people for not wanting to be affiliated with either major party, but third party candidates have no chance of winning.

Sunday, 10 January 2016, 6:22 pm