One Confirmed Dead After Truck Collides with Van – UPDATE

BROOKSVILLE – One person is confirmed dead and another injured, after a water truck collided with a cargo van at the intersection of Cortez Blvd and I-75.

There are unconfirmed reports that a White Ford E-350 was struck broad side by the water truck as it exited the interstate.

The deceased male victim’s identity has not been released, pending notification of next of kin.

The driver of the water truck was injured but his condition is unknown at this time.

RNRF is withholding certain details regarding the driver’s identity until officials release a full report.

UPDATE:5/29/2015, 12:39 P.M. – Initial reports that the van was struck broadside were incorrect. According to and official report provided by the Florida Highway Patrol, the water truck driven by 46-year-old Adrian Mezini was stopped on the northbound exit ramp of I-75. A van driven by 57-year-old Simeon Ramnath was also exiting the interstate and failed to stop. As a result, the van collided with the rear of the water truck, killing Ramnath.

Mezini suffered minor injuries and was transported to Bayfront Health Brooksville for treatment.

Hernando Fatal May 28

Death 1 Death 2 Death 3

Comments
  • My condolences to those affected by the passing of Mr. Ramnath.

Saturday, 30 May 2015, 9:48 pm
  • R.I.P uncle bobby

Saturday, 30 May 2015, 2:16 pm
  • Sending my deepest condolences to the families of BOTH victims, BOTH drivers, families, as they are BOTH victims of this horrible accident.
    I am sure this has had a traumatic effect on the driver of the water truck, as well..
    🙁
    PRAYERS TO YOU ALL

To all of you commenters on here commenting about a TOTALLY DIFFERENT/SEPARATE ARTICLE, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!
    You should post those comments under the APPROPRIATE ARTICLE, as they do NOT belong on THIS article/page!!! DISRESPECTFUL people in my humble opinion!
    SMH

Saturday, 30 May 2015, 12:47 pm
  • I was at that intersection a couple of days before the accident heading east on rte 50.. There is too much confusion there, Traffic is stopped in the high speed lane and and you can`t tell if it`s because of an accident or traffic trying to get on the highway..If you are in the wrong lane at the time, it`s very difficult and unsafe to change lanes. Then at the next traffic light, if you want to take a left to go into the Waffle house. there is NO GREEN arrow to take that left. Oncoming traffic has the green light and because of the hill there it`s difficult to see and get across safely.. Very dangerous in that area… Hope they can rectify it soon..

Saturday, 30 May 2015, 11:46 am
  • All I am saying is you should have included information for parents that included his extensive history and his license being revoked by the state. Nobody asked for Mr. Riggins to be arrested. Nobody said he wasn’t allowed to hold a camp. But if you are going to put him out there on your sight and thereby exposing his camp to the public then the public deserves to know he has been suspended from coaching in this state at the very least. This seems to be a very simple concept. I coach I teach and I have children and I along with every parent in this community deserve to be given information like that before we send our children to a camp that you advertised for on your site.

Saturday, 30 May 2015, 9:51 am
  • Rod,
    It sounds to me that may have reason to believe the van driver, my uncle, deliberately rammed the back of the water truck. I understand the comments section are meant for everyone to post their comments and opinions. Please ask yourself why couldn’t he stop rather than how fast was going. I stare at the calendar and watch the date I last spoke to him and the date of the incident and still can’t come to terms with it. I just spoke to him, I just heard his voice and all of a sudden he’s gone. I can’t tell you how badly this hurts. My cousins and aunt is struggling dearly with his passing. My aunt still calls him thinking he’ll eventually pick up the phone. What I want you all to know is that Uncle Simeon was a kind hearted, hard working, and devoted person.

Saturday, 30 May 2015, 7:05 am
  • Hey tom I saw you out there taking pictures and taking with state troopers. I was also taking pictures of the accident. I find myself always taking pictures of bongs that are news worthy. If you should ever need a helping hand…let me know 🙂

Saturday, 30 May 2015, 12:22 am
  • I will miss him so much. I cant believe he is gone.

Friday, 29 May 2015, 9:38 pm
  • I would also like to send my deepest sympathy to the family and friends of the man who lost his life in this article. You are in my thoughts.

Friday, 29 May 2015, 9:36 pm
  • How would it be inappropriate to answer the question? If you are a “news agency” then it would seem to me you would want to at the very least update your article to reflect the lengthy history of this man. I have coached and taught in Hernando County for many years and find it offensive that this man is getting piblicity for his camp when he in fact has no business being around young people. I am not the only educator who feels this way. As a news agency I would think it is newsworthy that this man continues to pass himself off as a coach and mentor with his kind of history. I choose to remain anonymous…even to you…because I do not wish to involve my school in any possible controversy. The bottom line is what I am saying is true and a quick 10-15 minute search of Riggins history will yield a good deal of information that parents deserve to know. If you’re a news agency I would think you would consider this a newsworthy endeavor.

Friday, 29 May 2015, 9:34 pm
  • I would also question why you are promoting a sports camp run by a man who has had his coaching license revoked by the state for inappropriate conduct and has also been arrested on drug and domestic violence charges. I would also question why you haven’t answered the question as to why you would promote such a person.

Friday, 29 May 2015, 5:39 pm
  • Tom you’re doing a great job!!

For the people complaining and calling it “Amateur Journalism” CNN and all other major news outlets do the exact same thing all the time.

My question is how fast was the van going? 🙁 My prayers go out to the family however and the driver of the water truck how traumatic.

Friday, 29 May 2015, 3:58 pm
  • Don’t worry Tom your doing a awesome ! No one is perfect

Friday, 29 May 2015, 3:13 pm
  • Where do you get these pictures from?

Friday, 29 May 2015, 2:57 pm
  • My prayers go out to the families of both persons involved in this terrible accident. Sherry, may you and your family find peace and healing throughout the coming days ahead.

Tom, please stick to reporting facts, not opinions. Not only within your article but also in your title, you assume blame, which could be damaging to the parties involved. It is amateur “journalists” like yourself who spur on unnecessary riots like those we have seen recently in the news.

Friday, 29 May 2015, 9:25 am
  • Sending prayers

Friday, 29 May 2015, 6:59 am
  • Sherry, My thoughts wand prayers go out to your family. I am so sorry for your loss.

Friday, 29 May 2015, 2:05 am
  • So sorry for your loss Sherry and Prayers for his wife and children and for you and his family

Friday, 29 May 2015, 12:40 am
  • I’m just wondering how many more people have to die before they fix the traffic flow complications? ????? Guess more families has to suffer before anything gets resolved!!!

Friday, 29 May 2015, 12:29 am
  • We are so, so sorry sherry for you and your families loss. No matter what happened. We will be praying for everyone involved and those that tried to help. I know Jeny, and she is so sorry she couldn’t do more.

Friday, 29 May 2015, 12:21 am
  • Prayers for all involved.

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 10:49 pm
  • Jenny
    You are absolutely correct. The van crashed into the water truck no less than 50 mph without even stepping on top brakes.. there were no skid marks to indicated the brakes were applied.. it completely lifted the back of the water truck off the ground from the impact

Rod

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 10:48 pm
  • Thank most of you for your prayers and support. The van driver was my uncle. He was on his way to a delivery. I don’t know much of the details. This was a tragic loss and we will miss him dearly. He leaves behind a wife and 3 children.

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 9:57 pm
  • Please be careful everyone. So many senseless deaths occurring lately. Prayers to the deceased and his family.

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 9:56 pm
  • What a terrible terrible same, I feel so sorry for the victim’s family, Life is so fragile and it can change in an instant.

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 7:48 pm
  • So sorry to hear.

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 6:17 pm
  • I would first like to say My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the van driver and the driver of the truck.

The second thing I would like to say is to Tom Lemons please get all the facts and correct ones before you post a story. This was a terrible accident but the van rear-ended the water truck which was stopped on the ramp. Especially in a case like this where a fatality is involved it is hard enough for the surviving driver to deal with what has happened with out having to read and see incorrect information posted by media outlets.

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 4:22 pm
    • Jeny, I agree with your comment…a story should not be printed with incorrect information, especially when it comes to a fatality. Regardless, if it’s stated “unconfirmed” or not. Why not just state that two vehicles were involved in an accident that resulted in a fatality? Tom I love your website, however with that being said, I think you also need to gain some experience as a journalist/editor.

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 10:21 pm
  • They are revamping the whole intersection soon, due to the I-75 changes. There is going to be loop ramps.

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 4:18 pm
  • Michael, I agree with you 100%. I used to go through that intersection daily and it is so easy to look at the wrong light, especially if you’re not familiar with the intersection. DOT needs to do something before any other senseless deaths occur. My prayers go out to the family and friends of those involved. Hernando county has the worse roads I’ve ever driven when it comes design of intersections.

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 3:14 pm
  • Those double stop lights at the bridge is a bad idea, I drive thru that intersection every day & someone is always going thru a red light because they are looking at the wrong light. Prayers going out to the familys involved.

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 12:13 pm
    • And that’s the same reason people are going up the exit ramps

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 3:13 pm
  • My prayers going out to all involved, so sad…

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 11:54 am