OPINION: Nicholson’s Blatant Social Media Campaign Lie – He Must Go!

The views and opinions expressed in the following Column are those of the designated author and do not necessarily reflect those of RNRF or any of its affiliates.

OPINION: By Jason Marshall

It was recently brought to my attention that former Hernando County Board of County Commissioners Chairman, Nick Nicholson, had received the endorsements of current commissioners, Jim Adkins, and Wayne Dukes. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the self-proclaimed post on Nicholson’s campaign Facebook page. To quote the message from Commissioner Nicholson, “JIM ADKINS AND WAYNE DUKES HAVE ENDORSED ME FOR MY ELECTION TO THE COUNTY COMMISSION. I AM THE PEOPLES COMMISSIONER. OF THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE, AND BY THE PEOPLE.”

I questioned why a well-respected man, Jim Adkins, would endorse a candidate with significant legal issues, i.e., FDLE investigation over prostitution and drugs. Especially, since Commissioner Adkins sits on the canvassing board, it would be a blatant conflict of interest. I will admit – my initial reaction was to say “the good ole boys club strikes again” because my cynical feelings regarding local politics are very evident, any time I react to a local story and this one really struck me in a not-so-shocked way. Turns out, there appeared to be a small problem with Nicholson’s proclamation – there’s no truth to it.

As it turns out, Commissioner Adkins was asked about the endorsement, and he denied making it. Furthermore, such an endorsement would be strictly prohibited by Adkins. As someone that has met Commissioner Adkins and volunteered in helping to get him re-elected to his current and final term, it came as a significant relief to me to know that this was a complete fabrication by Nicholson.

However, I have reason to believe that Commissioner Dukes, while he may not have formally endorsed Nicholson, isn’t averse to serving with him again in 2017. According to my friend, Larry Ball, while attending a meeting at the First Hernando Republican Club at the Deerfield Estates clubhouse several months ago, Commissioner Dukes defended Nicholson against recent criticisms. Needless to say, as someone that voted for Commissioner Dukes in both the primary and general election in 2010, and again in 2014, I was, and still am, very disappointed that he would maintain a close relationship with Nicholson. Even more disappointed, that he would defend him, amid the firestorm that has surrounded Nicholson.

But placing what I know about Dukes’ support for Nicholson to the side for just a moment, the voters of Hernando County, particularly the Republican voters, need to ask themselves a question; between now and the August primary – would you vote for a candidate who announces a blatant lie on his campaign Facebook page? One that is not that hard to disprove? Can we say “Narcissistic?” We already have plenty of reason to call into question Commissioner Nicholson’s morals and ethics – this just adds icing to the cake.

Another question that Republican voters must ask themselves – do you really want Nicholson to be the standard bearer of the Republican Party in November, knowing that the Democrats are running with Jimmy Lodato? Jimmy is a nice guy, don’t get me wrong; however, this is the same guy that ran against Jim Adkins in 2012, in the primary, and then switched parties to run as a Democrat. I have a hard time buying into the genuine candidacy of someone that primaries a well-respected conservative, and then runs as a Democrat the very next election year.

I’m still not saying that Hernando County isn’t the home of the “good ole boys” club. If it wasn’t, I’d probably still be a member of the Republican Executive Committee. However, when a sitting commissioner attempts to deceive the voters of Hernando County, by attaching himself to another sitting commissioner, by announcing an endorsement that never took place, it tells us a couple of things. First, that he has to lie to make himself look better than he is, and secondly, that he cannot be trusted to govern in an ethical fashion, which is what WE, the citizens of Hernando deserve.

Bottom line – Commissioner Nicholson is unfit for his position and he needs to be voted out in November.

liar nicholson

Comments
  • “Commissioner” Nicholson is a disgrace as a public official, particularly to the Republican party.
    It is true that local Republican committee demanded he resign but in a display of temper he stated that what he does in his personal life is his business only and left the meeting, kicking over a chair on the way out.

Wednesday, 13 July 2016, 3:46 pm
  • Doc,
    Really, the commissioners know of many unethical areas going on in various departments but choose to ignore it. So really, they are allowing the department heads to do their jobs, the problem is, who will be left let alone responsible to clean the departments up. It’s time to go back to what once was in the county instead of having people oversee departments who have no clue let alone do not even care about the county, it’s residents or their jobs because they do not live in this county. Why do we need somone working here who feels that way let alone that speaks it loudly for his other employes to hear and then we are supposed to follow him as our leader, yeah right!

Monday, 29 February 2016, 8:58 pm
  • He is much more than a disappointment , he needs to be voted out along with the rest of them.

Sunday, 28 February 2016, 8:20 pm
  • Nick, you are a disappointment to Hernando County and it’s residents.

Sunday, 28 February 2016, 12:33 pm
  • “I’m still not saying that Hernando County isn’t the home of the “good ole boys” club. If it wasn’t, I’d probably still be a member of the Republican Executive Committee.”
    I little full of yourself? Maybe that has something to do with why you are not on a committee…

Saturday, 27 February 2016, 10:47 pm
  • In what way am I a special interest? I’m an Op-Ed Columnist, nothing more, nothing less. I was shown the post made by Nicholson on Facebook, and learned that Commissioner Adkins denied making such an endorsement. Is it possible that he originally supported Nicholson? Sure, it’s possible. You’re welcome to e-mail him yourself and ask, if you’d like – [email protected].

Saturday, 27 February 2016, 8:36 pm
  • Just looking at him makes me sick, unprofessional nasty greasy dirty old man. Our community is changing, some things are improving slowly, time to clean up our management, vote all these idiots out…they all suck.

Saturday, 27 February 2016, 11:42 am
  • The real shame is most comments attack personal attributes and not political actions, Jason, you question Mr. Nickolson’s facebook post and reference Commissioner Adkins’ denial when asked. Is it possible Commissioner Adkins originally supported and endorsed Nick Nicholson? And if so, is it actually Commissioner Adkins who changed his support at the urging of special interests like yourself.
    Since you believe so strongly in the political system, RNRF stated in a September 12, 2015 post, “On November 12, 2013 the FDLE received a letter from State Attorney Brad King, stating that the case against Nicholson lacked sufficient evidence to bring criminal charges against him.” If the evidence does not support charges, are we not an innocent until proven guilty country?
    Two final questions, was Commissioner Nicholson ever charge AND convicted of any crimes? And, where can I find, on record, Commissioner Adkins denying his support of Commissioner Nicholson?

Saturday, 27 February 2016, 9:48 am
  • If this disgusting man were to resign, he’d lose the money he’s not earning and wouldn’t be able to support his drug addicted prostitutes. He should have been gone a long time ago. Adkins is the only honest person we have, and he’ll be gone.

Saturday, 27 February 2016, 9:46 am
  • Charlie, the article is in regards to the lie posted on Facebook regarding the endorsements. I’m sure there is a litany of dirt available regarding Nicholson, but that wasn’t pertinent to the article itself.

Saturday, 27 February 2016, 9:42 am
  • F….. the elections! Time for pitchforks!

Saturday, 27 February 2016, 8:36 am
  • This article does voters a disservice by ignoring significant information about Nicholson. The Florida Board of Professional Ethics is investigating a complaint against him regarding his work on the Bayou Bay Bridge Project. He is alleged to have awarded himself a contract and forced county staff to sign off on it. He is innocent until shown otherwise, but voters need to consider whether he has a conflict of interest as a commissioner as he is not above reproach. Also, Hernando County Republican Executive Committee asked Nicholson to resign last November, but he refused. GOP needs to clean house before all its candidates lose credibility.

Saturday, 27 February 2016, 7:34 am
  • New group of commissioners is right! The only one that seemed to have any conscience, sincerely and follow-through is HOLCOMB. When an entire commissioners board is presented with facts of corruption and turns a blind eye that costs tax payers large amounts of money you know they are all part of a “Good ol’ Boy System” that lowers the standards in this community which unfortunately leads to corruption. And who pays for their negligence and back scratching mistakes? The taxpayers! Unfortunately, our commissioners that we have voted in have very little integrity and care very little about justice and righteousness in this community. Very sad. As for Nicholson, why would we want someone who makes such poor judgement in his personal life making decisions for our community? And who really knows who is lying with these commissioners we have? Nicholson for sure, but is that it?

Friday, 26 February 2016, 11:48 pm
  • Nicholson is a Bernie Sanders. He’s a Democratic Socialist. Why do people vote for people who don’t respect the Constitution & want to take more money out of our pockets?

Friday, 26 February 2016, 9:48 pm
  • While I agree lying on face book is not the smartest move, I will ask this until he was asked did Mr. Adkins or Mr. Dukes bring this to the forefront during that election I don’t remember either of them saying anything about it, As for the idea of Bring progressives to this county, again not a smart idea, unless of course the residents of the county wants their taxes and other fees here to skyrocket We don’t need progressives, the most predominate progressives currently running for office both have stated they will raise taxes, that of course being Sanders and Clinton. Progressives also will do their best to make the county government larger than it needs to be, thank you, but no thank you.

Friday, 26 February 2016, 8:43 pm
  • And how much do these guys make for part time work?

Friday, 26 February 2016, 8:26 pm
  • We have 5 county hernando county commissioners who are forced to live in a district that may not have voted for them. 5 commissioners who get paid over 60k a year for a part time job, all with the exact same job description. We need to change the way we vote. Let each district vote for their own commissioner. Why do our commissioners continue to lie and pretend they represent a single district? Iwantsinglemember.com

Friday, 26 February 2016, 8:18 pm
  • Rode hard and put away wet. He’s a disgusting pig who should be in jail. Makes me sick to look at his slimey self.

Friday, 26 February 2016, 7:59 pm
  • Im having biscuits there great. ?…….ummm and gravy

Friday, 26 February 2016, 7:15 pm
  • I must say Ol’ Nick is looking , well a little rough. Maybe disheveled is a better word and just a bit greasy…
    This photo he appears somewhat fogged over also.

Friday, 26 February 2016, 6:55 pm
  • I can’t believe the sheriff would lower himself to Nicks low level. I recognize that Sheriff Al blows with the wind but this would be a tornado if true. Where is it that they dine?

Friday, 26 February 2016, 5:02 pm
  • You can tell from the aforementioned comments, we need a change now from status quo to progressive new outlook for our community. If the voters don’t get off there ass, than don’t complain. The first person you hear running for county vacancies says, I can fix this overnight, send em packing, this is a long term thing. What a joke of county I live in with these county clowns ripping off my community.

Friday, 26 February 2016, 4:58 pm
  • well for one he has lunch with the sheriff on a weekly basis, this man is one of the most obnoxious, perverted people I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing, his blatantly rude nasty family is as well, one of Hernando Countys finest families …

Friday, 26 February 2016, 3:34 pm
  • Why is this slob still on the commission? He should have been gone a long time ago. Nothing will come of any investigation done against any government official here. It’s been proven over and over again that they are above the law. Hernando County sucks ass!

Friday, 26 February 2016, 3:30 pm
  • As a relative new comer, I must say we need new blood. I love it here but, this is like living in the dark ages. We need progressives.

Friday, 26 February 2016, 3:25 pm
  • Just one of the crew of HACKS that currently resides in the house that we pay for called the county building?
    OUT with all of them without exception.

Friday, 26 February 2016, 2:48 pm
  • The voters of Hernando County need to get off there *** and vote this current group of county commissioners out of office. To say an ole boy network is an understatement, this whole group is a self serving bunch devoted to obtaining what they want. This group has killed the moral of county employees and overstepped boundaries in making decisions that should have been left to department heads. The only agency they can’t screw with is the sheriffs office and that shows in the annual budget meetings, hang in there Al, they will a gone soon. In my seventy five years of life, this group of politicians is by far the worst I have seen.

Friday, 26 February 2016, 1:32 pm