Sports Camp Aims to Teach Youth

By Bianca Rodriguez

Real News Real Fast spoke with Coach Eric Riggins about his 352 Track Club Invitational held this weekend and his 7th Annual football camp on June 22.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that a lot of runners are running in other track meets this Memorial Day Weekend the 352 Track Club Invitational was cancelled. The organization, It Is All About The Youth, are still running this weekend though at USF’s track.

Next weekend the organization will be running in Tallahassee as well. Runners, such as Ashley Gentz from Nature Coast Technical High School, run in these meets.

Seven years ago Eric Riggins started his football camp to save the youth.

“When I was a kid, sports is what helped me focus on going good in school because without good grades I couldn’t play.” Riggins said. “It also helped me stay out of trouble. That is what I want for these kids.”

Coach Riggins wants the best for the youth and feels sports will help them stay away from drugs and going down the wrong path through life. This year the camp will start on June 22nd and end on July 1st, running Monday and Tuesday from 6pm to 8pm.

Around 50 kids come out each year. Though this camp is a lot of fun it is also very beneficial. He pushes these kids really hard and it is very competitive.

He wants to push these kids to their max and show them that whatever they put their mind to they can accomplish.

“Sports doesn’t just teach you different plays and make you more fit.” Riggins said. “Sports teaches you life lessons, compassion, unity and for some kids this is their only way out of the lifestyle they live.”

The first 5 years the camp was free but due to the capacity of participants the camp now requires a small fee. For more information visit their website itisallabouttheyouth.org

11078129_1050122135016077_761200403327793915_n

Comments
  • I would like to thank all my supporters and also Ms. Bianca Rodriguez & Mr. Lemons for giving us some media exposure on this year’s camp it is greatly appreciated. I don’t want to leave out my critics you guys was great entertainment for this article. Remember is not about me I do it for the kids… This will be the best camp that will take place out of the seven years it has happen. It gets bigger & better each year. I still need some good volunteers that is looking to give back to our youth feel free to contact me. Thanks again to everyone don’t want nobody to feel left out. Be Blessed!!!

Thursday, 28 May 2015, 7:58 am
  • I certainly wish you the best and hope that you have learned form your past mistakes. The only thing I was interested in was supying parents with the information they needed toale an informed decision on if they wanted you around their child or not. Every parent deserves that. For those who choose to send their child to your camp, I hope things go well for them too. We all deserve the opportunity to correct our mistakes. My dealings with you in the past left me less than impressed. Again, I hope you are trying to better yourself and wish you luck with your camp. Mr. Lemons, I am disappointed with your lack of response to this as well as your apparent lack of interest in supplying parents with accurate information on the history of Eric Riggins. I hope nobody suffers as a result.

Wednesday, 27 May 2015, 3:17 pm
  • Hernando Coach let yourself be known because you don’t know me or what occurred because all of it was just a bunch of he say she say between a bunch of kids. I wasn’t arrested on any of these allegation because they were just that allegations. If by any chance I would have hired an attorney none of this would have transpired because the evidence was nothing again but a bunch he say she say. By the way since you have extensive experience with the youth in this county tell what program have you ran in this county for our youth or what involvement do you have with our youth? I would love to have you out as an volunteer at my camp this year. Let me know if you’re interested. If there is anyone else out there that have anything to say regarding myself please feel free to contact me and I will give you all the details you need therefore when you post something it can be real facts…..

Wednesday, 27 May 2015, 9:58 am
  • Wow can we let this go already it is what it is. My question is why are you guys hiding behind alis? If you know this man so well then you should let youself be known. As for nct coach non of yall nct coach can talk about another. You know what happen in clearwater because you were there!!!! You all can say what you want because the camp will go on and my son will be there.

Wednesday, 27 May 2015, 6:36 am
  • I am a coach and educator in Hernando County for over 10 years and I have extensive experience with the youth in our county. I also have had experiences with Riggins when he coached at both Hernando and NCT. I would echo Concerned Parent about his or her concerns. I am very aware of how Eric conducted himself and would not have him on my staff nor would I have my children under his supervision. His coaching certification was indeed revoked. The incident in Clearwater beach did occur and there was ample evidence that Riggins conduct was unprofessional at best, amoral at worst. This is just my opinion from what I know of him. I wish him luck but must at least post what I know of him.

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 11:54 pm
  • Wow this county is something else who are you concern citizen or should I say noisey citizen… Carry on and by the way track is going great with or without you supporting it!!!!You too will be judged you might want to be a little careful Buddy!

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 10:02 pm
  • from the times:

“An administrative law judge, based on evidence and testimony presented during a December hearing in Brooksville, this week recommended the state permanently revoke Riggins’ certificate.

The recommendation is based on allegations that he violated the principles of professional conduct, failed to make an effort to protect students and subjected students to embarrassment, among other charges.”

I would say that by itself is enough to keep you away from kids.

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 9:07 pm
    • @Concerned parent I can honestly say that you sound like a bitter female who was rejected by Eric Riggins. Yes I said it. Why are you so hell bent on trying to keep a good man down? You really need to have several seats. Now for the record, Eric was not labeled as a sexual predator nor pedophile. A petty recommendation is just that. Over the past 7 years you will not find any wrong doing by Coach Riggins, and I know that you will not find such in the future. Please take your ignorant self someplace else and find someone else to try to bring down. We, as a community support Eric Riggins and his program. Either you get on board or get run over. #TEAMRIGGINS Eric we salute you and your mission. One love Shanetra

Saturday, 30 May 2015, 4:39 am
  • Man unless you know Riggins personally or walked a day in his shoes, NO ONE SHOULD JUDGE ANYONE… This gentleman has put ALOT into this community and county. EVERYONE has a past, some good some bad. The Lord will put judgment down when that day comes, so in the meantime let Riggins return to the community what his God given talents are. Kids have No Programs to turn too anymore, due to lack of parenthood, funds and county expenses. Riggins is holding a month long camp 2 days a week for 2 hours a day for $40. I spend that in 10 minutes on something I don’t even need. Wow less then $.35 cents an hour and some of you have the nerve to bring up the mans past. Well I for one will have my Son out there, the question is can you put aside the remote, the computer, the phone, your pride and what if’s and bring your child out there?? That’s the real question…

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 8:40 pm
  • Gilbert Delgado says Amen brother the last man I heard that was perfect was GOD you continue to do what it’s important for the youth and that’s what matters

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 8:30 pm
  • @ concerned citizens and to all my critics I didn’t have an educators certificate it was an Coaching Certificate. By the way apparently you have no idea of what occurred because I wasn’t fired from no position. I voluntarily resigned from the position, due to all the false accusations. If you were doing some good research you would have found that the district results of the allegations were unfounded. By the way let me see you take a stand for our youth in this county. What are you doing for our youth in this county??? I need people like you in my corner because you’re going to help take me where I’m trying to go.. I will end it like this God is good n he has forgave me for all my mistake.. There is nobody perfect but him….

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 6:25 pm
  • There is no hate here. I don’t hate the man, nor do I hate any man. I wish Mr. Riggins well. Apparently some of you are having difficulty understanding. There is no hearsay involved. Mr. Riggins license was revoked…this is fact. He was charged with domestics abuse and marijuana possession. As for the contention that this was just a boy learning to be a man I would beg to differ on that point. Mr. Riggins had an educators license. This would indicate to me that he knew right enough from wrong to obtain that certificate. The incident in Clearwater beach was confirmed by over 20 witnesses. I would say that makes it more than hearsay. Once again, before we scream the tired old “hater” refrain we may want to actually look into it. We are talking a pattern of behavior over a period of time, not just a young man learning his life lessons. If you choose to use his services that is your decision to make and you are well within your right to do so. All I am saying is there needs to be full disclosure on his activities if he is going to be around children. Nobody said to put him in front of a firing squad or throw him in jail. Any right thinking human being with kids would look at this with a raised eyebrow.

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 3:37 pm
  • @ concerned parent, any decent, competent parent will do their own damn research. I don’t come from around here … and there’s one thing I don’t need any news reporter to tell me about this town …. THE YOUTH NEED HELP! The point of the article was to advertize something positive in the community for our youth…. not drag someones name thru the mud.

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 2:57 pm
  • WOW! The HATE in this town is RAW! Straight HATER, HAVE BEENs; vexed and shaming others. For real, get serious, get a clue. @Eric @Jim Jenkins let me guess, you’re perfect, never made no mistake and your kids (if you even have any) are perfect too. Here a few verses for you, go educate yourselves ……. Do not judge, or you too will be judged. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 2:25 pm
  • The sad truth is that people would rather say something negative than something good. I say, “judge the tree by the fruit that it bears”. Also, believe nothing that you hear and very little that you see ” unless you are intelligen enough to discern and understand what it is that you are actually observing. If what has been done in the dark in our great county, were known by all; you wold be hard pressed to find anyone that you are comfortable leaving your kids around. Eric Riggins is a good man. All men are boys first… Remember that.

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 1:33 pm
  • Those which aRe murderS, get serIous, And get A clue. I

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 12:49 pm
  • No one is saying Mr. Riggins cannot hold a camp, nor is anyone saying that parents cannot allow their child to attend his camp. Mr. Riggins criminal history and pattern of questionable conduct around minors should at least be noted in the article. I think it is irresponsible to advertise for someone with this kind of past behavior without at least providing the information on his history. I believed that RNRF was interested in reporting things accurately to better our community. I could understand if this were 1 or 2 isolated incidents but Mr. Riggins was removed from teaching and his license was revoked for a reason and there is a pattern of behavior here over an extended period of time. Parents and the public deserve to be made aware of this. I hope RNRF was not compensated for posting the advertisement for the camp. I would also hope that Mr. Lemons would post an update to the article at least making parents aware of what they may be exposing their child to before turning them over to Mr. Riggins. What say you Mr. Lemons?

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 12:48 pm
  • Wow! The HATE in this town Is RAW! Straight HATER, HAVE BEENs, vexxin About A manS ‘Hear Say’ Past, comparing To

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 12:45 pm
  • Let me put this out there not in defence but Eric can and is teaching my son. His past personal is not an issue. My son is apart of his track team and when i needed some to help with my son he was there right on time. Oh by the way did i mention he lead my son and 2 other athletes to the junior olympics. There is plenty of opportunities in this county the ones that are judging “what have you done for our youth lately?”.

Tuesday, 26 May 2015, 10:04 am
  • Point being would you want this guy teaching your kid? Casey Anthony and OJ. Simpson were found innocent., wouldn’t want them teaching my kids either. I realize that is an extreme analogy but this guy coaching does raise important questions.

Monday, 25 May 2015, 8:54 pm
  • Wow, that’s what wrong with the world today. Always talking bad about people and bringing up their pass life when no one actually know what happened. Did you not see where it say he have been doing this for 7 years without any problems, so why someone wants to bash his name now. I pray everyday for understanding.

Sunday, 24 May 2015, 11:59 pm
  • I meant to say Riggins. I apologize for the error.

Sunday, 24 May 2015, 8:35 pm
  • Not sure you want to be advocating for Mr. Rigging in this capacity. History of violence towards women. Arrested for marijuana possession. Fired from Hernando High School for inappropriate contact with female students.

Sunday, 24 May 2015, 8:34 pm