A Family Finds Hope with a Kind Hearted Woman, Breit Day with Jenna Breit

A Breit Day with Jenna Breit

MASARYKTOWN – We live in a time that teaches us to be skeptical of everything and everyone. Sure, you may have a big heart, but the question always looming – am I being taken advantage of? But for Masaryktown Resident, Sheilah Alderman, those concerns never enter her mind.

Today, while I set out to sell my barely used camping tent, I discovered something much more powerful, right here in Hernando County. I discovered Sheilah Alderman, who asked if she could purchase the tent for a homeless family. Intrigued, by her seemingly generous heart, I wanted to know more.

Alderman explained that she encountered the Costa family last week, after receiving a phone call from a friend who noticed the family living behind a local Wal-Mart in their van. Alderman says Robert Costa has been plagued with health issues, and struggles to support his three young boys – two with special needs. Robert was let go from his job when the burden became too much for his employer to take. According to Alderman, “Trying to find a job and taking care of three kids is impossible to do when you have no other family to depend on, and no lifeline.” After receiving this call, Alderman decided to spring into action. “I went to meet him and met the kids and I just knew I had to do something to help them, as he was desperate to do whatever he needed to do to sustain some kind of housing and safe environment for his boys,” Alderman said.

Without hesitation, Alderman took the gamily into her own home and made it her mission to find a safe permanent residence for the family. Despite Robert recently securing employment with a local non-profit agency, the family is still a bit shy of securing their own housing.

Alderman also fell ill years ago and is unable to work, so she dedicated her life to helping members of the community and eventually established Starlight Missions. Alderman doesn’t receive a lot of financial help and due to her limited income, she barters and saves every dime to help the homeless in Hernando County.

After taking the family in, Alderman says the boys always help around the house; whether it’s yard work or doing basic chores, and they do it without being asked, and they never complain. Robert has equally contributed to household repairs and upkeep of the home. ”As soon as I gave him a way to have someone he trusted, he went out and searched for work and found it. He is motivated to work, he just wants to get his family in a home,” says Alderman.

But there’s more… Alderman says she reached out to her friend, Ashley Campbell, who is a Manager at Kohl’s Department Store and often assists with providing clothing and necessities for those in need. After learning of the Costa family’s difficult time, Campbell purchased new bikes for the boys and plans to delivery them this Friday.

Alderman’s neighbors, Ron and Joan Davis have grown so fond and close to the Costa family that the boys now call them Grandma and Grandpa. The Davis family has even provided transportation and clothing for Robert Costa to attend job interviews.When asked what could be done to further help the boys, Alderman replied “I have been able to provide plenty of clothes but shoes have been a difficult find.” The family has lost everything and is in need of basic household necessities as well, as the ability to get back on their feet financially, to secure safe housing.

“It is our problem. We are all in this thing called life together. I will continue to do whatever I can, even if I have to give my last shirt or last can of food. I won’t give up,” said Alderman, as we parted ways.

If you would like to help the Costa family, a Gofundme account has been set up in their name to help supplement the costs of moving into a new home and obtaining basic household necessities.

For more information on Starlight Missions, visit them on Facebook or on their Website.

Another Breit Day with Jenna Breit.

Comments
  • Everybody felt sorry for the poor sister cause she had to leave Vermont to help her mom care for her dad but a relative of hers informs that all she does is sit around on her phone all day while her mom cares for her husband all alone. Yea poor sister.

Saturday, 12 August 2017, 4:51 am
  • Ya man

Tuesday, 25 July 2017, 3:30 pm
  • Ya man

Tuesday, 25 July 2017, 3:29 pm
  • How about an update?
    They still living with Ms Alderman?

Monday, 15 May 2017, 11:41 am
    • No they aren’t not. I believe when she tried to ask them about what happened and what was being pointed out on this page, the got their stuff and left. They are back in the car I guess. Hope fully dcf or someone will make sure the kids are taken care of?

Monday, 22 May 2017, 11:31 pm
  • Is he a scammer, go fund me page is removed from this article, interesting. I am sorry bout his parents and the daughter, needless to say the innocent children in all of this. Any answers for the go fund me page, ??

Sunday, 30 April 2017, 10:37 am
    • It’s still there

Monday, 1 May 2017, 12:25 pm
    • You all out there can believe what you choose to. I’ve never scammed anyone ever in my life not have I ever profited at anybody’s expence. And yes dcf has no concerns with the well being and care of these boys. They are healthy with proper medical care, fed daily, and have their education all in place. Dcf had done full inquiry and their only concern is that the children are not brought over or have contact with those relatives. Court cases have been closed and no charges have been issued because state’s attorney could not build a case unless we agreed to have charges placed. Your all welcome to check at Hernando county court records and check they are public. I know who I am what is in my heart as does god and when my time comes I have no fear as how he will judge me for the truth you know is no where close to what he knows. The fund created was to benefit the children and was not asked by me to have done and due to those negative posts by certain individuals no help for them have been given. What they have comes from me and if they could tell their story for all to hear of how it’s been for them and what they experienced it would break your hearts as it has mine and shock you when you learn the truth. These boys are honest kids believe me. If I’ve ever done them wrong you can be sure that they would not hesitated to turn me in to the law and dcf.

Friday, 23 June 2017, 1:30 am
    • I’m no scammer and never will be. I’m a giver who gets screwed over in the end. These are comments from people who have not been in my life in 8 years and know nothing of me

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 11:34 pm
  • Always the victims no matter who they screw over for their own gain.. smh

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 1:29 pm
  • What a wonderful, kind woman. It seems like Mr. Costa and his boys are on their way to a normal life…I wish them luck ❤

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 7:16 am
  • It is very nice that this woman took the family in. No one should be homeless. But has anyone asked Robert why he is homeless? Ask him about having his 70 year old mother arrested because his wife lied to police. He and his family were living with his parents, whom his father has dimensia and Alzheimer’s disease and mother is the sole caretaker.

I do feel for the boys, the mother is a very verbally abusive parent to the younger 2. I hope they don’t take advantage of her kindness.

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 7:06 am
    • Amen to that i feel bad for the kids but what he has done to his family in inexcusable his sister had to leave vt to go down and help her mom pick up the pieces hes going to screw this poor lady over to

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 12:08 pm
    • He has Parkinson’s n Alzheimer’s. N i had to leave vermont to come take care of my parents..

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 1:28 pm
    • Oh yeah and don’t forget to drug test his sorry I do feel for his boys but he and his wife burned those family bridges and they will not be rebuilt.

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 1:37 pm
      • Ask him what he did with 8000 dollars that he got back for taxes.. he was living for free.

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 3:27 pm
        • My point exactly. My return was for 3600 hundred dollars not 8000. More lies coming from you. Why don’t you let them know who paid over 1100 dollars to get your power on and used my food stamps to put food in your house and cleaned your 2 car garage that was loaded with trash and gave you 100 dollars every week out of my paycheck and was then thrown out after all that Was done because your crack pipe got broke. Those are things that never get told of what I’ve done for family. And still to this day you continue to bad talk me.

Monday, 8 May 2017, 4:13 am
    • Again state of Florida had her arrested. We told the officers we weren’t pressing charges an they said it’s not our choice. 2 of my aunt’s were there when that was going on and heard us say no charges and heard them set not our call.

Monday, 8 May 2017, 4:20 am
  • Sheila has a heart of gold. I know her personally and her mission in life is to always help people in need. God Bless you Sheila… Jayne

Friday, 28 April 2017, 3:23 pm
  • risky endeavor….tell us how this all worked out (or didn’t work out) two months from now.
    I expect NOTa glissening report.

Friday, 28 April 2017, 11:45 am
    • Also if the family is receiving assistance…Food stamps, AFDC etc, those agencies must be notified of their change is living status. That is law!

Friday, 28 April 2017, 11:48 am
      • You’re worried about living status!! Smh! That’s all you got from this story hes still deemed homeless !!! Till its legally his an his kids!!! I mean why even comment worried about what he gets !!!

Friday, 28 April 2017, 5:05 pm
        • AMEN TO THAT @A. MIKE L. Narcissist perrson.

Friday, 28 April 2017, 6:49 pm
          • Spelled wrong, whoops, probably doesn’t know what it means anyway. How bout selfish, uncaring jerk, that loves to rain on a nice parade. Thank goodness there are still good caring people in this world, I will help all I can!

Friday, 28 April 2017, 6:54 pm
  • This is such a heart warming of a story. I wanted to help finding them work, but it looks like they have found it. If it is okay, I can share this with a group i run with over 13k members, and maybe someone there may be able to help with donations?

Friday, 28 April 2017, 10:01 am
    • That would be great, thank you!

Friday, 28 April 2017, 12:55 pm
  • Sheila has a beautiful heart! She was a big part, for several years, helping WE CARE with our annual Christmas Toy drive, which has always been a success. She worked tirelessly, talking to businesses about putting Angels trees in there Establishment. She took Christmas to a whole new dimension when she organized with a local restaurant to give a family with 5 children a complete Christmas, dinner, Santa, presents for everyone. God is on her side. I have no money to donate but when the family finds a home WE CARE will furnish it for Sheilah and the family. Peace and love.

Friday, 28 April 2017, 9:48 am
    • He hasn’t a whole shed filled with house hold stuff. Their cloths and bikes all he hasn’t to do is go pick it up

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 5:53 pm
      • A shed. Garage and a storage full

Monday, 1 May 2017, 12:10 pm
  • What a nice story about nice people

Friday, 28 April 2017, 8:48 am
  • Thank you Tom I didn’t need the recognition but it is a sad story every kid deserves a chance

Ashley

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 11:12 pm
    • God bless you, but please be very careful with this family in your home!

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 9:51 am
      • I couldn’t agree more i know his history very well

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 12:04 pm
  • There are programs with zero waiting list . These /this family would be housed , running water for tub time for the kids, beds and a scenes of home , togetherness and most of all belonging . SAD !! Parents it’s not about you , these kids didn’t asked to be born !

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 9:08 pm
    • Don’t just say there are programs, tell us more about these programs.

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 10:00 pm
      • Amen, Mr. Lemon!

Please provide some sort of factual back up to your statement, ‘not at us’ person. A link? A website? A phone number? A contact name? Anything?

My perception of you and your comment is that you’re sitting in your nice home with running water and air conditioning passing judgement on someone who is really trying to keep his family together and raise good kids despite being in a very bad situation.

It is most definitely about him – and his boys – and all the fine people who are doing even the smallest things to help.

A lot of people are just a paycheck or two away from this kind of problem. Who knows, maybe someday we’ll be reading an article about you and your need for help.

IMHO