Awkward Moment Between BOCC and Sheriff Nienhuis, Game Continues Unresolved

BROOKSVILLE – If you missed yesterday’s meeting between Sheriff Al Nienhuis and the Board of County Commissioners, the only thing you missed an awkward two minute exchange, akin to that of a “Hello Newman” moment from the hit sitcom Seinfeld. But in reality, the “Cold War” between the BOCC and HCSO is a serious issue and taxpayers have a front row seat to a long-running dispute that doesn’t seem to be getting any closer to resolve.

Sheriff Al Nienhuis argues that he needs an additional $1.7 million to properly fund the Sheriff’s Office, and at the very least, bring the agency up to par with other counties that have similar demographics. The Board of County Commissioners denied the increase, claiming that the money isn’t there and that residents would have to pay higher taxes if the Sheriff gets what he wants.

Nienhuis doubts the tax hike would be necessary, stating “I don’t believe that’s true and here’s why I don’t believe it’s true, Ad valorem going up about $1.3 million, and between sales tax and revenue sharing is about another million, so at very conservative estimates, new money coming into the county is about $2.2 million.” Nienhuis also says the BOCC granted its employees a 3.4 % pay increase, even though Sheriff’s Office employees have gone a 5 years period without a raise at all.

Chairman James Adkins says “The Sheriff has $900k of unspent funds that has been put back in his budget and another $230k for contingency.”

The issue came to a head on October 10th, when Sheriff Nienhuis announced that he had filed an appeal with the Governor’s Office, in hopes that a review board could resolve the dispute.

On October 19th, the Sheriff’s Office received confirmation that a public meeting had been scheduled for Tuesday, October 25th at 9:00 a.m. But when the Sheriff took to the podium it seemed like no one knew what to say. A short conversation took place between Chairman Adkins and Nienhuis but everyone just looked around as if nobody knew why he was there. CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Prior to the meeting, RNRF received unconfirmed reports that the Sheriff might be prepared to accept an offer of approximately $600,000 dollars to avoid further litigation. Chairman Adkins confirmed that a resolution could have been made but did not provide a firm number. Adkins did say that said $600K would be the maximum offer or it could be less. But no offer would be made because neither side would mention why the meeting was taking place to start with.

Unless another meeting is scheduled prior to Election Day on November 8th, the decision will be left up to the Governor’s Office to bring this year’s budget fiasco to a close.

budget

Comments
  • People actually shred there hard earned taxes on these pigs? Seriously. Smarten up people. The police need to work and earn there own money and stop getting tax cuts from people who ACTUALLY WORK and not DICK AROUND arresting innocent people trying to make pay at the end of the month by pulling traffic stops left and right. It is amazing how scummy these people get once the 20th of every month get. Never have i seen 10 cars pulled over in one street several times every month in a lifetime. It is disgusting.

Friday, 28 October 2016, 12:50 am
  • ?

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 5:16 pm
  • We tried but you’re getting to old and slow my love.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 4:32 pm
    • Bend over, i’ll show ya who’s getting old……

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 6:38 pm
      • YOU are a prime example of IDIOTS EVERYWHERE,

Thursday, 27 October 2016, 8:20 am
  • I, of course, can’t speak to what the BOCC was going to do or not going to do. I think that fact is painfully obvious from what occurred at the above meeting.

Although I surmised that they were going to attempt to negotiate a settlement, and/or make an offer, I had no preconceived notions on how that negotiation might go or the specifics of any potential offer. Chairman Adkins originally requested to meet on Friday afternoon (October 21). The misinformation that is floating around about this issue is specifically why I wanted to meet in a public forum instead. He responded that we could meet publicly on Tuesday.

It is also important to note that the figure regarding returned funds that Chairman Adkins uses is incorrect. Much of that number is fees that are collected throughout the year by the Sheriff’s Office and must be returned to the County Commission. Those funds could not have been used by the Sheriff’s Office last year as he implies.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 4:23 pm
    • Sir,
      What are you doing to make petty things less criminal ? Sir your deputies and you as a leader should be part of the solution , not the problem…I opppse your budget because you have no common sence…If the POPO shows up at your door talk to all parties involved…resolve it in a humane way . 90% NO NEED FOR ARREST,HELICOPTERS,DOGS. BE A MAN..

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 6:09 pm
    • Sorry for spelling voice to text! !!!

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 6:11 pm
  • No, but I’ve lived in those areas (half the size of this area) and the difference is quite obvious.

If you file a report you should get a copy of that report then and there. If you don’t, no report was filed. Filing a report is up to the person, not the officer. If asked to do so, the officer must file the report. There is no choice in the matter.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 4:18 pm
  • It would have been proper for everyone to have waited for ME to weigh in on this issue first…….

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 4:15 pm
    • Smooch. I love you Uncle Thumbs.

Thursday, 27 October 2016, 8:17 am
  • Ditto

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 2:41 pm
  • Perhaps you should check the crime statistics here compared to the rest of the state/country.
    You’ll be shocked at what you find.

Crime in Hernando County is rising at a much slower rate than most other areas so you should be applauding the sheriff rather than putting him down. If you think you could do a better job, maybe you should run for the position next time he’s up for re-election. In not a huge supporter but I wouldn’t want his position!

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 2:38 pm
    • You ever talk to anyone who has reported a theft, break-in, etc and then found out there was no report filed? I know I have. That might account for the decreasing “reported crimes”.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 3:06 pm
      • There is a lot more to protection than break-in and reporting can depend on what exactly they found.
        People complain if they call because someone is playing ball on their street and expect a response in seconds. There are priorities which have to be evaluated and not all incidents need reports other than the fact they were summonsed to a location.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 3:57 pm
  • This is not about the Sheriff, who by the way is doing a great job and cares about the people of Hernando more than the Commissioners. It is about you, the people of Hernando and your safety and well being. Call your Commissioners and tell them we need to keep in front of crime and the welfare of our people on all fronts.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 2:15 pm
    • He cares about how many stars on businesses with his name on them (waste)

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 3:09 pm
  • The ENTIRE crew of commissioners are nothing more than wayward political HACKS.
    Out with them all!

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 2:01 pm
  • Jim Adkins is the only one I’d keep. He has a vested interest in this, or his family does. His son is a deputy sheriff at HCSD. The rest of those knuckleheads on the board, get them out as soon as we can. I voted against every incumbent that I could.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 1:35 pm
  • Sherriff requested the meeting.  The county obliged by setting up the meeting.  County did their part.  Granted the sheriff has a lot going on.  He makes appearances for different things, i.e. New Beginnings, sheriff’s night out, etc.  Why can he not work with the surplus which he currently has?  I would have no problem saying yes let’s give them more money if….they would train their officers.  There are some excellent cops out there but there are also some bad cops out there.  If sherriff would weed out bad cops like Deputy George, he would have more funds.  How much money has Deputy George cost Hernando County?  How many lawsuits have been made against George?    Rhetorical question because I’ve seen more coming.  If this sherriff ever did his job I would applaud him.  But then again Pasco county got rid of him and the people of Hernando said, oh no problem, we’ll take him.  And we have endured much more crime since he became sherriff.  Stop blaming the County Commissers.  I personally do not have a dog in this fight except the fact that this is my hometown and I have watched it go downhill in the past 10 years.  More so in the past 5 or 6 years.  For that I blame the sheriff because he cannot or will not train his deputies properly.  How do we fix that?  I don’t know since we allowed him to run unopposed this last election cycle.  God help us, especially if the rate of crime continues to increase more each month and more each year.  Sorry for writing a book.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 1:23 pm
    • Isn’t it the FDLE that is responsible for training officers in Florida? Do you happen to know if they require continuing in-service training? My own experience with the internal affairs investigators would be that they are more concerned with hiding and excusing screw up than in objective investigation. This may also account for a LOT of the corruption in the county because it is the same unit that is charged with investigating corruption.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 3:04 pm
      • Sheriff Al Nienhuis could do us all a favor and investigate the corruption that is going on in this county. He can finally put an end to it, and I’m sure if he told us how to get the ball rolling, someone would gladly step forward and do it.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 11:41 pm

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 4:22 pm
      • I am so disappointed in you, Al. You and Bob White ran a terrible agency in Pasco. Now you’re here, and Hernando S.O. looks like Pasco, and Pasco S.O. looks like Hernando used to. You’re so political. This is what happens when a Sheriff is more politician than he is a lawman. Just stop your whining and run the agency with your 40+ MILLION DOLLARS and say thank you to the board for not cutting your budget further.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 9:59 pm
      • How about showing some credablity,and fire a deputy that was jerking off on duty in a patrol car? If you want support from the taxpayers,start here!

Thursday, 27 October 2016, 5:25 pm
      • YOU requested the meeting. They obliged. Get off you fat. Lazy a $$ and do your job. Teach your officers discipline!!

Thursday, 27 October 2016, 5:39 pm
  • This demonstrates the idiots that have been elected to the commission, vote them the hell out

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 1:19 pm
  • That was awkward. As a former law enforcement administrator I can appreciate Sheriff Nienhuis’s position. But as a Criminologist I would like to point out that sometimes more boots on the ground just increases the amount of crime. What is really needed is more detection, like cameras. You put a camera at the intersections looking down the block. Anyone considering a crime can be absolutely sure they will be caught and convicted and that camera cost less than one deputy’s pay for the day. A good camera program would reduce the cost of crime fighting while increasing convictions and actually reduce crime.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 12:56 pm
    • Cameras as in Big Brother…You have got to be kidding us. We need a Sherriff and administrators working for solutions rather than convictions.To protect and serve is NOT about convictions, fines, courts, prosecution…I was caught shoplifting when I was 15 the police came and asked the store manager what do you want to do? I had a choice scub the baseboards or go to jail…It was not be slapped in handcuffs go to jail. Choices and consequences. Less poor misunderstood Billy and his mental health and more people to stand up and make people responible for thier actions.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 3:07 pm
    • Are you kidding me cameras… There are cameras everywhere in department stores at red lights does this stop crime in this count NO. Police presence is the way to go. This county has way to much crime.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 3:43 pm
    • To clarify, you are saying “more boots on the ground” the crime rate goes up? I think of boots on the ground as more LEO’s out there. So more LEO’s make crime go up, or did I read it wrong?

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 4:02 pm
    • Yeah just what we need more government control with the false perception of Freedom. Why don’t you just out right say , you want the Constitution shredded and would prefer a fascist police state.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 6:52 pm
    • I suggest a camera in Dennis Purdy’s bedroom! Second thought, YUK. That would be a real crime.

Thursday, 27 October 2016, 5:10 pm
  • Interesting circus.
    Praying for a resolution.

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 12:51 pm
  • That was probably the prime example of a waste of time. You had the sheriff come down to the courthouse just to say pretty much nope we didn’t need anything but while your here how are things? I thought he should have said are we not in 2016 where everyone has a cell phone or in this case I’m the sheriff and you could have told me this before I even came down here. A bunch of idiots all looking around at eachother wondering who called him down there. Looking professional guys ?. Keep up the solid work!

Wednesday, 26 October 2016, 12:44 pm