Elderly Woman Dies After Walking into Moving Vehicle

SPRING HILL – A woman died this morning after she walked into the side of a moving vehicle at the Intersection of Barclay Ave and Spring Hill Drive.

According to reports, 82-year-old Iris May Fearn of Spring Hill was attempting to cross Barclay Ave in a westbound direction when she walked into the left side of a vehicle driven by 40-year-old Lakesha Nyre Graham. Fearn was transported to Bayonet Point Hospital where she later died from her injuries.

Graham is not expected to face charges.

Comments
  • Big question: How can an 82 year old jog into the side of a car (a moving car yet) so fast and hard she sustained such serious injuries? HCS please review the facts. not hearsay but the logical facts. Think seriously about the accident description so far. It was dark, early morning, the cars headlights had to be on. Was she sideswiped by the vehicle? Accidents will happen but lets know all the facts of this case.

Monday, 3 April 2017, 10:10 am
  • It deeply hurts me to see how many people are so influenced by what they read. Not everything is true and unless it comes from the persons mouth why start anything, assume or comment? The driver happens to be my wife, who has never received a traffic ticket, nor has she got into an accident prior to this. My wife has an amazing heart and is deeply hurt over this. This happened during dark hours, in a unsafe intersection that honestly people should not cross on foot. The reasons as to why Miss Fearn was running across the street not acknowledging on coming traffic is questionable. My wife was not speeding, going 42 in a 55. My heart goes out to Miss Fearns family. My prayers and thoughts are with them. I want to thank those who have taken the time to read my wife’s words and respect the truth.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 10:18 pm
  • That area would not be a place I would want to cross by foot. RIP Miss Iris. Prayers for the driver as well.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 9:15 pm
  • Lakesha , as you stated, it was un-avoidable. Just ignore people who are consumed with psycho illusions that they “know” what God wants and hear dead peoples thoughts… AMAZING!!!! 🙂

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 5:27 pm
    • Karma’s helmet is still on too tight. He’s still upset a number of people put him down over the motorcyclist comments & bicyclist comments.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 6:56 pm
  • I send my prayers to the families of both ladies involved. Maybe Iris Fearn was going to bus stop or job. Terrible tragedy for both ladies. To Lakesha I want to send a virtual hug / shoulder to cry on as well as my prayers. I’m sure Ms. Fearn sends the same & knows it was not your fault. God wants you to listen & hear Ms. Fearn.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 3:53 pm
  • I Drove by this terrible accident this morning. It was not at the intersection, it was on Barclay in front of the turn in for Publix, where there are no lights or crosswalks. It was close to the intersection, but the article is not 100% correct

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 2:28 pm
  • Very Sad News and sorry for her friends and her family.and also the driver of the car.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 2:23 pm
  • This is out of the Florida driver’s handbook:
    Pedestrians

It is the motorist’s responsibility to do everything possible to avoid colliding with any pedestrians. Bicyclists, skaters and skateboarders in a crosswalk or driveway are considered pedestrians. Turning motorists must yield to pedestrians at intersections with traffic signals. Motorists must yield to pedestrians crossing the street or driveway at any marked mid-block crossing, driveway or intersection without traffic signals.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 12:46 pm
    • It also says pedestrians have laws to abide by and they do not.I see it daily.Does it say pedestrians should not run into the side of a car?Its amazing all you people trying to say a careless driver and you are too careless to even read the story right.And if it was the younger person that hit the car you all would try saying she was on her phone and not paying attention.People are amazing

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 3:46 pm
      • And those laws include crossing in a crosswalk which maby 5% of pedestrians do which the couple people here brought to our attention now that it was not in a crosswalk.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 3:51 pm
    • You can not walk into traffic in the dark and not expect to get hit.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 5:54 pm
    • Hey moron. It was the back side of her car the women ran into. Is she suppose to haves eyesi n the back of her head. Its sad the women lost her life but dont make th3 driver feel worse then she does it wasnt her fault

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 7:21 pm
  • Prayers for all involved..

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 12:10 pm
  • She wasn’t even at a light, it was a dark area and she was running into traffic, the driver was going under the speed limit. It was around 5:45 am and there were a lot of people who stopped to help. God bless them all and may she Rest In Peace.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 12:02 pm
  • This is very sad my condolences to the family. As for the driver I am sure this is a shock to you and one you will soon not forget.. Questions remain.. why was this 82 year old woman out walking when it was so dark out trying to cross that street? Did she have the cross walk signal and if so why did the driver still keep going? Does anyone ever notice that even though you have the cross walk to go how many people still take that right turn on red? I like to ride my bike to work and i will tell you i have had people cuss me out because they took that right turn on red and i had the cross walk signal. It happens every day. No one pays attention to that stuff.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 11:49 am
    • It does not say it was dark out.If she had the walk signal the driver would be charged snd no charges are pending.Also sounds like the car was already going as she walked into the side of it as Tom wrote above

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 12:16 pm
      • LOL well at 5:50am it is clearly DARK out that is a no brainer. I did see that post and saw the drivers story and it was truly a horrific accident. Condolences to everyone involved

Friday, 31 March 2017, 3:47 pm
    • I didn’t see where the time of day was noted so why would you think it was so dark out? Article just said this morning.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 2:02 pm
      • OK, I saw in the comments under the headline it was before 6 am, very dark.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 2:07 pm
      • WOW lets do this it was on the news before I left for work at 6:15 AM it was DARK is someone not reading the story lines. I have to go that way to work every morning

Friday, 31 March 2017, 3:48 pm
    • You did not read any of the comments that told you what happened did you? There is no crosswalk signals were there is no traffic light. Also I think she was old enough to walk where ever and when ever she wanted. Who are you to question what she was doing out that early? Sounds like she was going for a walk. Elderly people are always up at the crack of dawn but I guess all the ones you know don’t dare walk or jog that early in the morning cause they are old and it’s dark out smh…

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 5:53 pm
  • To many crazy drivers on these roads any more!! something really needs to be done! I think Spring Hill is to lax with these drivers….g
    et out there and nab them…to many people being hurt, or killed. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 11:48 am
    • I am the driver of the vehicle, it was not at the intersection, it was right before the turn around near the bank and the Publix shopping plaza..It was actually at 550am and I was headed to work not speeding nor did I see the victim. I am devastated that a life was lost please know that. The victim actually was jogging across the first three lanes of Barclay and ran into the side of my vehicle, not the front..the side. She will forever be ingrained in the fabric of my life. I am truly sorry that I was there at that time and pray for her families peace. There was literally nothing I could have done as there were witnesses and an investigation and speed nor drugs were NOT involved. Sometimes freak accidents do happen so people should reserve judgement. At 40 years of age I have NEVER been involved in an accident nor NEVER even had a ticket so YES I am forever changed and devastated. But once again there were no lights in the area as this was on Barclay BEFORE the turnaround near Publix and way before the Springhill intersection, just wanted the facts to be known. Please R.I.P Iris.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 12:06 pm
      • I will pray for peace for both you and her family. God Bless.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 3:45 pm
      • Lakesha now that you clarified as did a witness hopefully these people will quit blaming you but we know they wont.I hope time will heal what you have gone through and you can move on

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 3:54 pm
      • Lakesha, you are a beautiful and caring person, I stopped there with you and I seen how upset you were and as much as I prayed for a good outcome, based on her condition at the time, we couldn’t have known. I know it’s not going to be easy to get it out of your mind but please don’t blame yourself. I hope that they can figure out where she was coming from and how or why this happened. I pray for peace and strength for you and for Miss. Iris’s family.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 4:31 pm
        • Thank you, as I said she will forever be engrained into the fabric of my life. I even spoke to her I am deeply saddened even though there was nothing I could have done to prevent this..I still am shaken to my core and have been praying for her family and thinking of her ALL day..

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 5:08 pm
      • Sorry you are going through such a horrible time! Prayers to you as well as Iris and your family’s! Try and find peace through this time! There was nothing you could of done I hope you know that!

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 9:20 pm
      • Lakesha, I hit a pedestrian seven years ago. Mine didn’t die (but it took two weeks to think he would be okay). My dad had an analogy: “If you owned a building and someone flew a plane into it and that person died would you feel guilty?” No. As the homicide detective told me (at the accident scene), “It could have been any one of us. It just happened to be you.” You go home. You say your prayers. And you get up tomorrow and work on emotional peace.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 11:28 pm
      • Accidents happen ,that’s why they are called accidents,I’m sure this will not leave your mind anytime soon prayers to you and the woman’s family.

Friday, 31 March 2017, 7:56 am
    • If you read it Tom clearly states that the woman walked onto the side of the car which means the car was going and she walked out into it and the driver is not facing charges.Prayers to all involvef

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 12:18 pm
      • Oops walked into te car

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 12:20 pm
        • Oops the car

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 12:21 pm
    • The driver was not at fault! The REAL story is she was running ang she ran into the car…

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 12:37 pm
  • Very sad. Heard the call on the scanner this morning. May she Rest In Peace and prayers for the driver too…

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 10:35 am
  • Really sad that no one stopped to let her cross!

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 10:16 am
    • Sounds like she crossed when she was not supposed to since she walked into the car and no charges are pending.If someone would have stopped to let her cross the would have most likely caused a accident on a busy road and sounds like the light was green for the car.Prayers for all involved

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 11:32 am
      • I don’t know. If the light was green for the driver, isn’t it green for the pedestrian, too? I have seen too many “near misses” in these cases.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 12:38 pm
    • Maybe the car didn’t do anything wrong. How could the pedestrian not see the car? Maybe she slipped and fell into traffic. Maybe at 82 this woman wanted to die. As the area grows so will the number of drivers. When the number of drivers increases, an assumption could be made that the number of accidents would increase.

Thursday, 30 March 2017, 3:13 pm
    • are you trolling or did you not read the article?

Friday, 31 March 2017, 11:11 pm