; ;

Infant’s Death Ruled Accidental Suffocation, Babysitter Will Not Face Charges

SPRING HILL – When Cindy Estevez and Bentley Bailey Sr. left their infant son Bentley Jr. with a babysitter nearly one year ago today, they never imagined it would be the last time they would see their son alive. But sadly, the nightmare most parents fear the most came true for the young couple, when they received word that 3-month-old Bentley had passed away while in the care of 28-year-old Jessica Wakefield.

On September 29th, 2015, Fire Rescue responded to 8183 Omaha Circle where they located Bentley unresponsive. Paramedics immediately began CPR and transported Bentley to Bayfront Health Spring Hill where doctors tried unsuccessfully to save him.

According to reports, when detectives made contact with Wakefield at the residence, she was holding another one year old child who was unrelated to the incident. Wakefield explained that she picked Bentley up from his mother at 8:45 a.m. and brought the two children back to her home on Omaha Circle. Wakefield says that Bentley was suffering from a cold and that he had recently undergone breathing treatments at his doctor’s office.

Around noon, Wakefield says she placed Bentley on a couch inside a garage that had been converted into a playroom. Wakefield explained that she placed Bentley on his back with a pillow blocking the open end of the couch to prevent him from falling off. Approximately 30 minutes later, Wakefield noticed that she could no longer hear Bentley making noise, so she went to check on him. When Wakefield entered the room she noticed that Bentley had turned with his face against the back of the couch and appeared to be pale, and not breathing. She immediately picked Bentley up, placed him on a rug in the living room, called 911, and then began CPR.

After a near 5-month investigation following Bentley’s death, officials determined that the cause of death was accidental suffocation and that Wakefield would not face charges. Bentley’s mother was not happy with the State’s decision and says Wakefield should at least face charges of negligent homicide.

We spoke with Assistant State Attorney Pete Magrino who says there wasn’t evidence culpable negligence with regard to Wakefield’s actions. Magrino explains that Culpable Negligence is when death is the result of recklessly or disregard for human life. He could not find that to be the case with the death of Bentley Bailey.

RELATED ARTICLE: INFANT FOUND UNRESPONSIVE INSIDE SPRING HILL HOME – INVESTIGATION UNDERWAY

baby-3 baby-4 baby-21 bentley face book

Comments
  • I was one of the first responder’s upon Bentley entering the Emergency Room. I will never, ever forget that day; his little face or what he was wearing. My fellow co-workers and I sadly looked around at one another knowing there truly wasn’t much we were going to be able to do. Many, many hearts broke that day. To this day it was by far the saddest day I’ve ever had to endure at work. RIP sweet little angel and I PRAY the family (especially the parents) find peace in their hearts.

Sunday, 21 August 2016, 9:51 am
  • Im so sorry for your loss i cant imagine what this feels like. Licensed or no license shouldnt matter my baby goes to a home daycare and he gets better care then he would at a regular daycare because of the one on one care. Lets not point the finger at these parents who were just trying to make a living!! Your baby boy bentley is so beautiful and now is resting in heaven stay strong mommy and daddy ❤ rest in peace sweet baby boy.

Saturday, 20 August 2016, 10:43 pm
  • Terrible loss for the family. So sad. I want to know if the baby sitter was licensed for an in home day care? Just because someone seems trustworthy doesn’t make them so. And just because you are licensed doesn’t mean a tragedy won’t happen. But I would think that choosing a licensed day care might offer more protection to the child, so many adult eyes on each kid. But choosing a home day care you’d think your baby was getting more one on one attention. I don’t blame the parents.

Friday, 19 August 2016, 10:54 am
  • Beautiful baby boy, so sorry for your loss, I can’t imagine how difficult to loose you precious little baby?I know it’s difficult but believe he is in heaven watching over both of you mom and dad.
    God Bless you through such a difficult time??

Friday, 19 August 2016, 12:18 am
  • Any loss of life is disturbing. . . I have a few questions though… Was the baby sitter licensed to care for children? And if not was she the parents friend . if she was not licensed to care for children I’m sorry to say the parents failed . If she was a family friend ,as a parent wouldn’t you know the quality of her parenting skills? So I’m sorry but in my opinion ( which isn’t worth much) the parents dropped the ball. ? understandable professional daycares are expensive but you get what you pay for.

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 2:29 pm
  • everyone commenting on these posts has to be a lawyer or a doctor cause y’all know wtf you’re talking about…..

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 10:15 am
  • Deepest sympathy to the Bailey family. U.S. has world’s worst federally mandated maternity leave policy: 12 weeks of unpaid leave. That’s it. Germany has 42 weeks of paid leave followed by 120 weeks of unpaid leave, giving working mothers time to care for young babies. Many babies in Germany are able to walk by the time their mothers go back to work. No wonder the U.S. birth rate has plummeted to the lowest point on record.

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 9:11 am
  • I’m so sorry for the parents. I can’t imagine the pain they endure every day. I came upon Bentleys final resting place by accident last week. I cried when I saw all the toys that people had left for him. I’ll visit him often. Condolences to his mommy and daddy…rest well little boy.

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 8:03 am
  • moral of the story. you dont leave a small infant on a couch in a garage for an extended period of time. Every one clear on that one? You know what they say.. common sense isnt so common.

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 7:50 am
  • I am surprised to see so many psychologists emitting there medical opinions regarding the baby sitters actions along with what they would have done. My god, spring hill folks are smarter than I thought.

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 4:59 am
  • Admittedly or not, everyone knows the sitter is at fault and should no longer be allowed to “babysit”. But I do believe the father politely asked everyone to let their son rest in peace. Keep your opinions to yourselves and hopefully the parents keep away from these injusticed, negative, unnecessarily publicized “bits of info”. I didn’t get to know you, but Rest in Paradise handsome?

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 1:44 am
  • R.i.p Lil Cuh

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 1:22 am
  • So very sad. My heart goes out to all.

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 12:12 am
  • No, Miss. Wakefield walks around carefree, without a care in the world, has forgotten the fact that her decision to leave a 3 month old unattended on a couch, no less has taken a human being from his family. She is just happy her life isn’t ruined. She chose to accept the responsibility as a child care provider to that child. She wasn’t doing anyone a favor, she accepted money to so this daily and her blatant disregard for that child’s well being should not for unnoticed. I hope she gets what she deserves, there’s always street justice.

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 10:56 pm
  • You were there to watch the baby that’s the whole point of having a babysitter !!!!!! She wasn’t doing her job bottom line

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 10:45 pm
  • Hello people that NEGLECT !!!!!! Accident or not !!!!!!

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 10:44 pm
  • The Parents should be charged with FRIGGIN STUPIDITY….A 3 month ol baby being left to a babysitter….The Parents should of NEVER LEFT a month old baby….period !!! DUMB A#45es!!!!

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 10:32 pm
    • Your name says all.

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 12:10 am
  • Let my son Bentley I Bailey rest in peace.

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 10:20 pm
    • I’m so sorry for the loss of this sweet child.

Thursday, 18 August 2016, 6:00 am
  • My heart goes out to the parents – it is the worst thing you can deal with and have happen. I hope that the parents can stay strong and it’s not an easy thing to do. I am sure there are more details as to what happened/didn’t happen, and I won’t judge; but I can tell you that this woman will think about this for the rest of her life, and most likely never forgive herself. I hope you rest easy baby, and one day you will be reunited with your parents.

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 10:14 pm
  • Board stiff… ruin her life????? Are you kidding she ruined an entire family’s life with her poor decision!

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 10:08 pm
  • This is a tragic accident that sometimes happens.But if Pete Magrino himself checked it out and found no evidence of foul play then it’s an accident.Don’t try to ruin this womens life for helping you out with a sitter that nite.RIP Bentley

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 9:58 pm
    • It was no night, his parents worked. It was the babysitter who neglected the child by leaving him unattended for an extended period of time on a sofa, which is common sense not to. No child should ever be left on a sofa awake or asleep. If you are getting paid to take care of any child that is who your attention should be on. If you don’t want to take care of a child then don’t agree to. No one is trying to ruin the babysitter’s life but her actions have resulted in a death of a person who could not care for himself and was dependent on her. She was suppose to be there for him. A life is irreplaceable no matter if a person is arrested or not. Something has to happen in order for people to stop being so neglectful when caring for minor children. This is happening too often.

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 10:28 pm
  • Sad , but an infant doesn’t belong on a couch to begin with unattended . Should not have ever happened ,why would you you leave your baby somewhere that there wasn’t a crib , sounds like a home daycare gone wrong

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 9:52 pm
  • I hope you got approval from Bentley’s parents to share this with everyone because I’m pretty sure she doesn’t feel comfortable with seeing this and reliving that moment. They want to think of the good times with their son.

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 9:49 pm
  • She should be charged with something. Why would she put him on a couch to begin with? Why not a play pen or something. He was 3 months old which is usually around the age most babies are learning how to roll over. I hope no one ever allows her to watch their kids. Rest easy baby Bentley …

Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 9:30 pm