Man Charged with Attempted Murder Again, After Dodging 10/20/Life in Prior Conviction

BROOKSVILLE – A man convicted of attempted murder in 2010 is charged again with attempted murder, after spending just 5-years behind bars on the previous conviction.

According to Hernando County Jail records, 25-year-old Kenneth Dewayne Newsome was arrested this morning on charges of attempted murder and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

The details of that case are not being released by officials but the alleged incident occurred sometime in 2016 and it is domestic in nature.

Newsome was arrested in May of 2010 after shooting a victim in the leg during a robbery attempt.

Newsome pled guilty to charges of attempted murder, armed robbery, and burglary conveyance, and was sentenced to 6-years with the Florida Department of Corrections. Newsome was released in 2015 after spending just 5-years behind bars.

I spoke with Assistant State Attorney Conrad Jurgensmyer why Newsome’s case did not fall under Florida’s 10/20/Life mandatory sentencing guidelines but the specific details of the case were not readily available during our phone interview. Jurgensmyer did say that the court classified Newsome as a “youthful offender” which allows the mandatory guidelines to be set aside. Newsome was just 18-year-old at the time of his arrest.

Just one year after his release from prison, detectives began investigating a second attempted murder charge. Newsome is also charged with being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm; however, it is not known if a firearm was used in the case currently pending against him.

Newsome remains behind bars on a $10,000 bond.

We will bring more on this story  as it develops.

newsome

Comments
  • I’m all for being a rebel and I myself have pride in my roots but I can tell you this much if you think ANY RACE in Brooksville is innocent you are dillusional and you must walk around with your eyes shut my family been here longer than most there are SEVERAL roads named from that and all this white vs black is stupid a crime is a crime and what ever happened to INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY ? Guess y’all forgot about that y’all wanna talks about murderous scum why don’t yall conversate about James Turner that low life peice of murdered a good young innocent man unprovoked and for no reason to says blacks are better is laughable and vice versa but y’all are making me sick right now I know if I went to jail even if I was guilty my family would try and uphold my name can you blame someone for loving somebody ? Y’all quick to hate I tell you something I hope sticks I wear my beautiful southern Brooksville grown WHITE skin with pride and I love my Confederate flag but I represent our heritage alot better than y’all do and let’s just say he did w.e he’s accused of do you know the story ? Nope but because it ain’t your kin folk you quick to judge John 8:7 says let he who goes without sin cast the first stone . If you’ve ever lied ,stolen ,lusted,been lazy,or been a gluten ,fornicated ,adulturized ,then your just as guilty as this man

Monday, 6 March 2017, 11:25 pm
  • Well Thank You Adam!

Monday, 20 February 2017, 6:05 pm
  • Rebel Pride is Not a Racist! He is a Realist! That does Not Sugar Coat Anything. Some People Just Can’t Handle THE TRUTH

Monday, 20 February 2017, 6:51 am
    • damn right,rebel pride.you and bethy are my favorite commentators for the comment section.

Monday, 20 February 2017, 3:47 pm
  • This animal should not be out of jail come on judge $1000 really what happened to the 10/20/ life o thats right you can get away with everything in Hernando County

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 9:57 pm
  • felon with firearm multiple convictions attempted murder over and over and he gets a 10k bond which lets him out on 1k. Looks like that wonderful system I always speak of is working wonders for victims.

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 9:02 pm
  • Brooksville was not this way when i grew up,and you law abiding folks need to remember that WE DO NOT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS CRAP!!
    it ends when we FORCE our elected officials and un elected bureaucrats to DO THEIR JOBS. If we do not stop this soon,brooksville will be as bad as spring hill.
    It is clearly time to get organized

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 8:23 am
  • Rebel Pride is a racist pig !

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 8:11 pm
    • go to hell

Monday, 20 February 2017, 3:48 pm
  • Brittany, when you’re “doing bad” (attempted murder onto his 2nd conviction ) it DOES warrant the right for us to think hes a POS…And anyways, people trash talking your cousin should be the least of your worries…you should be embarrassed

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 2:37 pm
    • Hopefully your ENTIRE family line has been perfect and respectable citizens ..smh.family is family..love is unconditional..maybe he has a mental illness ..dont throw stones in glass houses

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 7:28 pm
      • no one is perfect?!? HE TRIED TO MURDER PEOPLE TWICE!!! Just hang him,dammit.

Monday, 20 February 2017, 3:45 pm
  • Typical Black Family They all Have Different Last Names! Sure He Does Not Even Know Who His Daddy Is! 10K Bond on The Gun Charge & No Bond On The Att. Murder Charge. Read The Jail Web Site People. He Ain’t Getting Out : )

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 1:17 pm
    • The guy that attack the women him a hammer had a $150000 bond so if he had a gun it would only be $10000 WOW

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 7:07 pm
    • Typical Redneck making a racist comment..u rednecks get arrested for even more stupid charges..check out Brooksville and Moon Lake area in Pasco..and you “white people” tend to have different last names too ..smh..ignorant ass..know a synonym for ignorant? probably one of your favorite words you backwoods POS..probably a product of incest with your rebel pride shit..

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 7:26 pm
      • You go bedebeeb❄

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 9:17 pm
      • WTF is your problem?

Monday, 20 February 2017, 3:44 pm
  • Sadly as his brother (Me) I’m very disappointed that this has to be the way it is. I love you Kenny, but you’ve hurt me after the promise you’ve made me, but I forgive you.

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 12:00 pm
    • I’m calling dr Phil right now

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 12:33 pm
  • Brittany, your cousin should not even have a bond. C’mon, attempted murder twice? You are just a damn fool to even stick up for this scum bag. Why would you even mention you are related to this POS? It just makes you look like trouble as well. Yea, get over it. He should never be released. Hope he gets his kicked in jail by Tyrone.

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 9:30 am
  • I have to wonder why wait so long after an incident occurs to make an arrest. This individual spent 5 years in the Dept of corrections on a charge that was allowed to be mitigated down and the explanation of “he was a juvenile” makes no sense because when juveniles so close to being of legal age commit violent crimes they are charged as adults.So as usual the state talked someone with no experience with the legal system and inadequate representation into taking a plea deal. So now we have this same individual after serving five years back in the legal system again for the same crime but why wait so long to make an arrest that doesn’t make sense and then when the state does make an arrest only a ten thousand dollar bond that’s a joke. The state has a weak case or no case at all. Hang tough and ride this one out. This case will most likely resolve itself with a time served adjudication after going to court for several months. What a joke not to mention a waste of taxpayers money. So typical!

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 7:56 am
  • Well Brittany Your Cousin is a POS! We Don’t Need His Kind In Our Population Period! Hopefully He Will Not See The Lite of Day Again : )

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 7:46 am
  • Cousin or not he’s a [email protected]$in POS I wouldn’t even say I was related to a murderer a hole like this

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 1:57 am
  • Brittany a word of advise, with his history, you might not want to admit he is your cousin.

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 1:36 am
  • 10/20/life is a joke. Hernando pleads everyone out.. everyone. That’s how you get these people who have been arrested 20 times in 10 years and are still out committing crimes. I would love to hear the state attorneys answer for why when a 29 year old man uses a gun while committing a felony he gets probation. Everyone gets probation.. all they care about is making money off the criminals and not actually about getting them off the street.

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 12:26 am
  • He may be doing bad but doesn’t give you the right to talk bad about other peoples family members and that’s Mt cousin

Friday, 17 February 2017, 9:53 pm
    • My cousin

Friday, 17 February 2017, 9:54 pm
      • Well it’s hard to talk good about him, why don’t you tell us what good we can say about him

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 7:16 am
    • So sorry for you!

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 10:17 am
    • Brittany N. Larson;

as citizens of the U.S.A. we can say whatever the HELL we want.

attempting murder twice also gives me the right (and duty) to call for his execution.

attempting MURDER TWICE is not “bad”,it is evil;if my brother did this i would call for an execution.just remember that when someone is this out of control they will waste you, too.

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 8:17 am
    • He is a true DIRT BALL ! now onto the TREE ! He is true trash.

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 8:55 pm
  • Come on YA”LL Black Lives Matter!!!! Hang His NOW! Right Bethy

Friday, 17 February 2017, 6:45 pm
    • More like Black Trash Don’t Matter ! Just take him to the Tree.

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 2:08 pm
  • This is a prime result of the weak Hernando County Judges and State Attorneys Office. Do these crimes in Pasco, Citrus, Sumter and your sentenced 25 yrs. HCSO does their best to lock up these animals and the other half drops the ball , pathetic.

Friday, 17 February 2017, 5:33 pm
    • Well people seem to forget that a lot of these offenders get sweetheart deals for cooperation with law enforcement on other cases. Simple. Most cases rely on informants for evidence to lay down the hammer. Without these criminals corroboration,the conviction rate would be down significantly. The shitty thing is that prosecutors rarely care one way or another if the rats doing their bidding are being truthful. Almost anyone in that position would say whatever it took to get released early or immediately and have their own cases dropped. There isn’t any magic lawyer tricks or payoffs to bagmen.. Just people without honor looking to cut the rope..

Saturday, 18 February 2017, 2:22 pm
    • you are completely correct

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 8:12 am
    • You do realize it is the same State Attorney’s office that covers Hernando, Sumter, and Citrus right?

Monday, 20 February 2017, 10:56 am
  • he looks like a nice guy…

Friday, 17 February 2017, 5:30 pm
  • Hang this idiot, he just doesn’t fit in and knows it

Friday, 17 February 2017, 4:55 pm
    • It’s Tree Time !

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 2:05 pm
  • O for the love of God a $10,000 bond are you kidding me that’s all?

Friday, 17 February 2017, 4:40 pm