School Bus Driver Involved in 6 Crashes, 8 Citations, Parents Furious, Demand Answers – UPDATE

UPDATE: 9/16/2016, 3:26 P.M. – After publishing our report on the driving record of HCSB employee, Mildred Rodgers, RNRF has learned Rodgers has been reassigned  to a non-driving position and will no longer get behind the wheel of a Hernando County school bus.

HERNANDO – The Hernando County School Board is no stranger to controversy and with only one month into the new school year the district is already under fire for holding back honor roll students, and keeping special needs children from receiving proper services.

Last year the district’s transportation department was criticized for not addressing a serious German cockroach issue on several school buses. It wasn’t until RNRF broke the news that the district took measures to rid buses of the infestation and the situation was finally resolved. But a more serious issue has some parents concerned for the safety of their children who ride to and from Deltona Elementary aboard a County school bus – and they want answers.

According to a report provided by the HCSB, Rodgers crashed her school bus 6 times (at fault) and received 8 citations since she was hired in 2001. In additions, Rodgers has faced disciplinary actions for being a no-show and on one occasion Rodgers was caught smoking on a school bus. Rodgers was also arrested in January for Domestic Battery but that charge was later dropped.

We asked Jordan what the district has to say regarding parent’s concerns over Rodgers’ driving record and if she would be allowed to continue driving. In lieu of a reply, Jordan provided a link to view the transportation department’s disciplinary guidelines.

According to HCSB guidelines a driver is allowed up to 10 points (HCSB Points not DMV) before termination becomes an option. A Safe Driver Review Board is in charge of determining and assessing how many points a driver will receive when disciplinary action is required. Rodgers has received 18 reprimands in her 15-years with the HCSB, including a 10-day suspension in 2011 for repeatedly failing to show up for work.

We spoke to Daryl Kelly on Friday while waiting for Rodgers to drop off her two children at the intersection of Treehaven Drive and Newhope Road. Kelly was furious when I showed her Rodgers’ record and said “I think that is completely inexcusable! Someone with that kind of record should not be driving my children around.” She went on to say “We should be able to trust these people with our kids and I don’t.” Despite costing more gas money to drive her children to and from school, Kelly says her children will not be on Rodger’s school bus come Monday morning.

Gena Fernando agrees with Kelly and says she’s scared and can’t trust Rodgers. Fernando has no choice but to allow her child to ride the bus because she can’t drive. But if she can make other arrangements, says Fernando, she will remove her child from the bus.

We will continue to follow this story and provide updates as they develop.

mild rodg bus 32

groupe

midlred-rodgers-image

Comments
  • Wow! That’s what I 1st thought when I saw this article. She was my bus driver for senior year at Nct bus 39, very nice lady. I was immediately surprised when I saw her on here. For what reason? Records? Honestly if you check 1 record why not check all the records of the bus drivers… In fact junior year of my high school I had a very obnoxious bus driver. I was surprised she was driving buses still..

Friday, 23 September 2016, 12:59 am
  • So now she’s in a non driving position. What they got her doing? Chasing the roaches on the busses?

Friday, 16 September 2016, 10:24 pm
  • What a bunch of whinny do nothing chiildren, that do all of this hitching on this site that I’m confident he does his best to report the facts as he is given. Should you care to get off your lazy assets and being you have all of this concern for your kids, why didn’t you go and do the research and confront the superintendent yourselves, instead of hitching and belittling the one person that did your work for you ??????’???

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 11:28 pm
  • Route 32 has had a sub bus driver for the last two days, i just ask the driver if she was going to be our new driver, she said that she is just a sub.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 7:52 pm
  • Route 32 has had a sub driver the last two days, I just ask the driver if if was going to be our new driver, she said she is a sub.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 3:56 pm
  • Tom I saw you with video/ camera equipment this morning at Deltona elementary this morning. Any updates?

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 9:51 pm
  • Agree with Even 100%.
    You want something done about it? Stop complaining and do something about it. Vote for a change and get something done!

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 8:13 pm
  • Been following this story and have one thing to add; there is a person running for the School Board whom supports Dr. Romano, his name is Gus Guadagnino, get out and vote for Mr. Vonada and then things may start working the way they are suppose, and maybe even Dr. Romano may leave as well. We have a right in the U.S., it is called voting, let’s change things here in Hernando County!

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 8:02 pm
  • Miss Mills, wow, it said you called to report that a child did not get off the bus, yet it wasn’t your child. And you are the one who said to look into Ms. Rodgers driving record. Wow… My apologies. I thought you were the concerned parent but it turns out to be something else.

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 7:49 pm
  • Miss D, yay, now read it again, it did not say my child! !

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 7:37 pm
  • No, Toms’ next story will be 83 students injured in major bus accident and by the way just so you know the big boys are now involved in this. We (the parents) nor the students asked for Mildred to be our bus driver, she requested this route from what I am hearing because she had seniority

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 4:17 pm
    • Every year driver’s pick their routes by order of seniority. If our first pick was picked before we get a turn then we choose another. That has how it has always been.

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 6:46 pm
  • Tom
    the reason no one responds to you at the school board is because your a worthless reporter wannabe hack. Leave the real stories to the big boys..stick to your car accidents and meth busts…Go ahead and print this tuff guy..

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 3:04 pm
  • whats the excuse for letting four children off the bus yesterday with no lights flashing, no sign out and no walk bar out. tow of the kids were in my family and one a close friend?

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 2:53 pm
  • @Miss Mills

Balloons are not allowed on the bus.

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 2:01 pm
  • @Miss Mills:

“Justina Mills contacted RNRF last week after receiving word that a first grade student did not return home aboard bus 32, driven by 61-year-old Mildred Rodgers. We immediately contacted HCSB Spokesperson Karen Jordan who told us that the student was held back by a counselor and that the parents were not notified. But Mills suggested that we look into Rodgers’ driving record and what we discovered shocked Mills, and the parents of other students who ride bus 32.”

The article stated that the child was not on bus.

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 1:59 pm
  • My brother at 24 died april 18 2010 fyi that is all o have to say

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 7:20 pm
  • Just got home from picking up Cin from bus stop and my grandson, was behind route 32 bus coming down S.H. Drive speed limit is 40, bus was doing about 45-47. The problem today was when the bus stopped,- four children got off the bus, no sign put out, no lights, luckily there were no cars coming from the other directions and I was right behind the bus, this is the stop at Pinehurst and Piper Rds. Cars fly up and down Pinehurst Rd. This all comes down to the following

1 livelihood vs 83+ student lives

1 driving record reputation vs 83+mentally tortured students

1 dead son vs 83+ students dead

The answer should be clear-oh I almost forgot one kid was beating up his little brother today. The kindergardener was crying. But the driver did tell the kids to sit down so they could have a safe drive home.

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 4:18 pm
  • danielle underwood court date sept 20-21 in brooksville could you provide more info?

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 2:15 pm
  • I just love how a lot of ppl on here make it sound like us moms are dong nothing but sitting at home eating bonbons and watching Jerry Springer. My day consist nothing less than taking care of multiple kids, husband, animals, a house, cooking, cleaning, laundry, paying bills, running errands and I work part time. So who are yall talking about sitting back doing drugs, being lazy and living off food stamps? Certainly not this mother. On average I am on my feet 15 hrs a day. And I am always there to greet my younger kids when they get off the bus. Never have I allowed them to walk home unattended let alone crossing a busy street alone.

All you other bus drivers need to understand that just because us parents have legitimate complaints about this driver does not mean we are attacking all drivers!!
    There is a definite need for reform to the policy and drivers need to be held to a higher standard considering they hold little innocent lives in their hands.
    Also, when is the time to be concerned and speak up? When she has had a major accident? Shouldn’t we say and do something before it gets to that point?

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 1:44 pm
  • IT IS BOTH PARENTS & BUS DRIVERS FAULT. PARENTS (???) DON’T TEACH KIDS RESPECT FOR THEMSELVES OR OTHERS TODAY. I LIVE NEXT DOOR TO ONE BRAT WHO HAS HAD PROBLEMS AT SCHOOL & ON BUS.
    AT 13-14 Y.O. SHE HAS THREATENED TO “FUCK ME UP, FUCK ME UP BAD” WHILE HER PARENTS (??? are you ???) LOOK ON DOING NOTHING. (I’m. 62 Y.o.) IF KIDS RECEIVED SEVERE PUNISHMENTS & DISCIPLINES THEY MIGHT BE DECENT. HUMPING A BUS SEAT?? WHACK THEIR PEEPEE, MAKE THEM HUMP A HOT IRON – THEY WONT HUMP AGAIN UNLESS THEY ARE AS CRASS & STUPID AS THE PARENTS(???)
    I HAVE HAD 2 INCIDENTS WITH SCHOOL BUSES LAST YEAR. BOTH REPORTED & I WILL CONTINUE TO REPORT. DRIVERS THINK BECAUSE THEY ARE BIGGER THEY CAN PULL OUT IN FRONT OF YOU OR PUSH YOU OFF ROAD!!!! LOOK TWICE BEFORE PULLING OUT-BOTH WAYS. FAMILY WALKING SIDE OF ROAD?? STOP FOR ONCOMING TRAFFIC TO PASS BY THEN GO AROUND FAMILY SAFELY. I DON’T HAVE KIDS BUT I AM TIRED OF NATURE COAST BULLIES ATTITUDES AT HOME & ON THE ROAD.

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 1:02 pm
    • I don’t think it is so much a matter of punishing kids as setting a tone of respect. I didn’t have to punish my children. I taught them respect by setting the example and respecting them. Children learn their behaviors from those around them. And a lot of the time is isn’t the children they are learning these behaviors from. It’s the adults they see cussing out other adults. And we tell them to behave differently. Bull . LOL.

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 1:24 pm
    • This particular incident has nothing to do with the childrens behavior…just the drivers. So go take your abusive ways of disciplining children back to the 1800s where they belong.

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 1:46 pm
  • Hmmmmm a nosey Betty who knows it all….

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 11:59 am
  • Bye Bye Mildred

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 9:29 am
  • Most of y’all need to grow the f*** up….this article is about a woman’s bad, REALLY bad history driving a school bus, not about kids misbehaving on the bus, or parents not parenting, or whether or not Tom Lemons has a proofreader. Y’all are on here putting each other down, thinking you know so much more or are better than someone else, acting just like a bunch of elementary school kids fighting “AM TOO! ARE NOT!” It’s sad…..

Her record with HCSB is right there below the article – read it. According to someone on here, her child passed away in ’11 I think it was said? Well, she had many issues before 2011, and then many more after 2011.

To all of Ms. Rodgers’ fans on here – how do you explain all the citations/disciplines up until 2011? It’s not because her child died, so what is the explanation?

Before 2011 she was involved in 5 crashes, received 10 points, got a verbal reprimand for improper driving (ALL driving issues WITH innocent children in the bus), and 2 verbal reprimands for failure to comply with instructions for not showing up for work – this was BEFORE her son died….

Then after 2011, she was involved in another crash, got a speeding ticket, most recently got a citation for speeding and improper passing in January of this year, accrued 9 more points (ALL driving offenses, speeding? And speeding with improper passing? In a school bus with children??), got 3 more verbal reprimands for failing to comply with instructions for not showing up for work, got a verbal reprimand for failure to follow procedures for, per the video footage, smoking on the school bus, AND got a 10 day suspension for getting 5 points in a 12 month period AND for the repeated offenses of not showing up for work!!

Now please, can you explain to me how this lovely woman, this lover of children and pillar of the community according to some of you, demonstrates that she is a competent adult, a responsible employee who has nothing but the children’s best interests at heart? You know, if she DID have issues with her son passing, then wouldn’t a normal person take time off? Get help? Would a normal person mourning the death of a child continue driving a school bus and continue needing to be reprimanded for the same offenses over and over and over again??? This blatant irresponsible and deplorable behavior is indicative of a person who does not have respect for anyone or anything, and most definitely does NOT have the children’s best interests at heart. She may be a very lovely woman at home, but she has absolutely no business driving anything, much less a school bus full of children. She’s been banned for driving for one school – what does that say? What does it say about YOU, defending her with all these serious infractions. If some of you, who portray yourselves as friends of hers, really cared about this woman you’d try and get her some help, and try to get her to STOP driving. Everybody has issues, mature adults know when they need to do something about it.

Answer this please – if any of you had done these or comparable actions at your place of work, what would happen to you? What would your boss do? I really can’t believe that the county still employs this woman

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 12:18 am
  • Sorry but she is good at her job. Take some excedrin.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:38 pm
  • Miss ‘D’ your long-winded rants on this post gave me a major migrane. ARE YOU DONE? God I hope so…

In my 19 yr. tenure with the P.O. as a mail carrier/clerk, I have logged hundreds of thousands of miles. SAFETY is their platform EVERY WEEK in EVERY OFFICE. We get the same warnings of being careful, and also have a ‘safety committee’ that INCLUDES a supv. to evaluate and go over EVERY DETAIL of EVERY ACCIDENT to determine if the carrier is at fault. ALL of this to say, 3 strikes…you’re out. 1st accident you have to take a refresher driver’s range training course. 2nd time, you are given an I.I. (investigative interview), and a written warning. 3rd time you are given a letter of termination. SIX at fault crashes would NEVER fly in the postal service. End of story.
    STOP deflecting, and making excuses for her poor job performance. While she may/may not be a really nice person….doesn’t mean she’s good at her job.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 10:58 pm
    • Said well sista! I totally agree:)

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 7:40 am
  • @Freebird
    Pizza drivers probably make more also! I am far from lazy, nor do I drink. Although I am are you will have one or two drinks for me before you roll off the ledge under the overpass!
    Enjoy your week!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 10:20 pm
  • Well this is what you get when nobody is willing to pay a decent wage,where are you gonna find people that are qualified and willing to work for next to nothing?,and 8 citations in 15 years is not the end of the world considering the conditions and wages these people work for.if you dont like it and feel like your more qualified and are willing to work for next to nothing get off the internet and apply

Monday, 12 September 2016, 9:53 pm
    • it shouldn’t matter what the pay is. She accepted that job willingly, no one forced her. A lot of the jobs I have had don’t pay well but I still did them well always doing my best. Should we not expect that from the ppl responsible for the safety of these kids? All the parents have gotten from transportation is excuses.

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 7:37 am
  • To all parents with disabled children in hernando county: there will be a forum against hernando county concerning disabled children not getting the services they need, in brooksville on sept 20, i do not know all the specifics but will try to find out more. I believe they are trying to fill the meeting with concerned parents.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 6:39 pm
  • Amanda Vega, you should stop using your daughters disability as your sole defense. If you want your child to be treated like the other children and the girls are separated from the boys, then let her be an equal and sit in the back. You shouldn’t use her disability as a way to justify your argument. Do kids get made fun of? Yes all the time. It sounds like you, Ms Vega are enabling you daughter to feel sorry for herself. Let her develop thicker skin and she will be better off. She should be encouraged to use the teasing and finger pointing as motivation to be the very best she can be. Making people treat your daughter differently only creates a since of entitlement that will not be there when she gets in the real world of jobs, homes, and relationships. Words alone will not hurt your child. A parent that doesn’t help their child grow from experiences ends up doing more damage than good.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 6:31 pm
    • Who said I was using my daughter’s disability as my sole defense? Really? My bottom line is no child should have to be forced to sit with bullies. So unless you know the facts I advise you to mind your buisness

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 9:34 am
      • Amanda, in each of the statements you make it a point to tell us your daughter is disabled. Why can’t your comments just be about “your daughter”. You are using your child as way to gain attention through sympathy. STOP! You would never say “my fat daughter”, “my stupid daughter”, or “my 3 normal kids” so stop staying my “disabled daughter”. Is everyone supposed to feel sorry for you? For her? It sounds as if you are letting a child grow up believing she is less of a person than her peers. The reality is she is an individual who is getting an education so that one day she can be self supportive. Who are you fighting for, you or your daughter?

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 5:22 pm
        • My comments and my fight is for my daughter as well as all the other children that have to deal with kind of treatment. Like I said my bottom line is no child should be forced to sit with bullies. My daughter knows and always will know she is never less than anything because she is a blessing for any parent to have. The reality is yes she is getting an education but because of this situation now I have to transport and pay for transportation for my child because the bus driver couldn’t do what she needed to do to protect our children because obviously she doesn’t care and that in itself is sad.

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 5:49 pm
  • Cin is my daughter, and I believe what my daughter is telling me. The complaints are piling up. I have not witnessed all of them myself, but I have had my share with route 32 this year. The first thing is waiting 45 minutes at the bus stop for my child because the driver keeps changing the way the route is run(person experience). My child should not be getting off the bus upset every day (shaking). She is afraid that I may not be there when she gets there. Children have been let off at the wrong bus stops-and students have been allowed to get into cars and drive away with unauthorized parents(personal experience). They have an assistant on the bus and I believe more order should be on the bus, i don’t think the assistant is doing all that is expected to keep the kids under control. Boys are cursing and having the kindergarteners curse too. The boys are flipping people in cars off from the back seat of the bus (experienced personally). Boys are humping the seats in front of our girls. I believe three children have been missing on this route since school has started. And two children have been punched in the face by other students. So this is not just a case of bad driving–there are many concerns……..we need a strict driver that will SAFELY transport our children to and from school. WE NEED MS SANDY BACK to get these issues resolved!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 6:31 pm
  • I am a student at deltona Elem School and i ride route 32. I am writing for a student’s point of view with my parent watching me. I am here to tell you that are bus is out of control. The driver and student make my ride home miserable. I feel as a student of hernando county it is my right the feel safe on my bus ride to school and back home. At this point i do not feel safe riding this bus.
    We have had four or five bus drivers since the beginning of school, this is crazy. Our bus driver puts the bad kids in the back of the bus. There has been many complaints.
    Cursing
    Boys humping the seats
    Flipping parents and children off from the back of the bus
    TGIF being screamed on fridays
    This needs to change!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 5:50 pm
  • I think before this goes any further we should compare Mildreds record to those of other bus drivers in the system or the state. We are talking about a period of 16 years. That’s less than one per year. And driving a vehicle that size isn’t a picnic empty. It surely isn’t fun with a few dozen kids on board.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 5:49 pm
  • Hey “D”, I have called about horrible school bus drivers and was told someone will call me back., Of course no one has ever called me back. There are some really BAD, BAD drivers out there. They speed all the time. I am sure the kids are a hand full, but you took the job and knew what you were getting into. The person in this article should be fired and her driving license taken away. When will they take action????? When someone gets killed. The school board is worthless and I was told nothing is ever done when someone calls in a complaint. Keep driving and keep your eyes on the door “D”.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 5:22 pm
    • I agree with you concerned, if you see something wrong CALL.. if one call doesn’t work, call again. I am not an angel, but I do my best with the children entrusted in my care and drive as safe as I can always. As Mr. Purdy said, her citations and accident with the amount of time she has driven for the county are not as bad as this article blows it up to be. The problem is when you work in a public sector it’s a no win situation.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 7:02 pm
  • And it’s also unbelievable that anytime Tom lemons posts something about drivers being in the wrong you guys always blame the children and their parents. No it’s ultimately your fault no matter what u are in control of the vehicle not the children and not the parents

Monday, 12 September 2016, 5:00 pm
  • Well @miss D my husband drives a semi truck for a living and has never been in an accident because it’s called safe driving. No matter if u have children or not u need to be safe. And I for one see bus drivers in this county use unsafe driving for instance about 10mins ago one pulled right out in front of me not at a safe distance luckily I was paying attention and hit the brakes. So not saying your one of those drivers but there are many who do not follow the rules.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 4:57 pm
    • Best thing I have read all day!!! My ex drove semi, and carrying food to a gas station, if you got 3 incidences, you would be fired, why are those carrying much more important cargo held to at least these kinds of standards???

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 12:42 pm
  • I’m not defending anyone, but considering the pay, the hours, and what they have to put up with, it’s amazing they can find licensed drivers at all to drive school buses.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 4:46 pm
  • Yes, the accidents were her fault. The citations… doesn’t matter if they were on the bus or her p.o.v., it proves a pattern of irresponsible driving. For Hernando County to allow this person to continue driving is a disgrace. To the person who says try driving a bus for a day… If you can’t do the job, properly and safely, find a new job. It is our tax dollars that will pay the families of anyone she injures or kills, and to pay for the property damage she causes.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 4:32 pm
  • Do all you people really think the “crashes” we’re major accidents? No. Not hardly. These were minor to the point no police were ever called on any of them. Do you think the school board would have such lenient policies. No. That is not the case. They call the report a crash report. It can be anything from a simple scratch to a total loss and anything in between..

I would suggest these unemployed parents who stay at home and collect food stamps and government assistance and do illegal drugs to clean up their act get a job and try out bus driving. And then we can take a tally of their points. Additionally raise their children to respect adults and other students.

If your not part of the solution your part of the problem.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 4:32 pm
    • Why do you right away blame the parents and think they are all unemployed drug addicts? I personally know most of these parents work hard and are only concerned about the safety of their kids. This has nothing to do with the parents at this point. It is about the poor standards accepted by the transportation system and this drivers bad performance. Parents and students have the right to file complaints and they have the right to feel safe. How many parents and students need to step up and say she is a bad driver before someone listens? 50, 100,1000? When will it be enough?? Stop deflecting to the parents and step up to take a closer look at the real issue. If she cant perform her job to a point where parents feel safe putting the kids on her bus then she should not be there.

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 7:46 am
  • PS Great story Tom.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 4:13 pm
  • wow I haven’t seen so many comments since that idiot ran over the family in Brooksville.
    Just to add some more fuel to the fire. When do we get an update on where and when the money was spent with our 1/2 penny tax increase. They have no problem taking the money lets see what they have done with it.
    I truly hope everybody remembers all this Hernando County School Board B.S. when its time to VOTE..
    I think its time to clean house.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 4:06 pm
  • CURIOUS YOU ARE AN IDIOT,!!!!!!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 2:48 pm
  • For God’s sake were talking kids lives here it’s not a pissing match if this is her record remove her and get on with life.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 2:46 pm
  • excellent reporting Tom, thanks

Monday, 12 September 2016, 2:27 pm
  • As a box of rocks

Monday, 12 September 2016, 2:04 pm
  • @ D this lady has no business driving around a bus full of kids with her driving record! 6 accidents that she was at falt in wow if you think this is acceptable your dumb ass a box of rocks

Monday, 12 September 2016, 2:02 pm
    • @Dreweves

She’s been through the system, gotten the points on her record and follows the rules. You, Sir or Madam, have no right judging her. 10 points accumulated in any one year gets a driver fired. The review board is there and they reserve the right to give what they feel is in accordance with the infraction. If a person gets five points in one year and keeps a clean history for over a year then those points are no longer applicable. She’s been driving two years less than myself… 15 years. Not every accident can be avoiding when you are driving a huge vehicle. Some just cannot be avoided. I do not insult but, seriously, you should use spell check.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 3:13 pm
  • Are there any childern that are not disabled these days?

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:31 pm
    • Yes there is I have 3 that are not disabled… SMH

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:39 pm
  • @ D,
    I can’t believe you would go into such detail, about the great relationships you and others may have with the kids, and insult parents in the same breath
    You are condoning this woman’s record, which makes me wonder if YOU yourself have a record you don’t want brought to light!
    This issue has NOTHING to do with parents, whatsoever! It’s her record. Period. You seem to be deflecting!
    And the other person defending, blaming parents for “causing problems or however you worded it, ARE YOU KIDDING? SO, the parents caused her multiple crashes and citations? GTHOH –

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:19 pm
    • @Jenni*B

We do have a great relationship with most of the students and parent’s.. THAT is part of our job. I am also stating what we, as bus driver’s, see and hear while in the course of or work day. The parent’s did not cause her crashes or citations… Hitting a tree limb causes a citation, hitting a mail box can give a driver points in house. All the facts are not here, but my comments stand.

Enjoy your day.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:43 pm
  • DYR, I would gladly hand over a new born baby or any of my grandchildren over to Mildred to drive them OR babysit. I would LOVE it if she was their bus driver. I would know she would go above and beyond to keep them safe. Missy, you and D are speaking truth. Others have no idea what drivers go thru. I KNOW I couldn’t do this for a living. I also know Mildred ALWAYS wanted to be a bus driver so this isn’t JUST a paycheck, PLEASE!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:17 pm
  • @D you need to get your facts straight before you start throwing out false statements. Her son was not pulled off the bus, nor has he EVER been pulled off the bus . This article is about PROTECTING and WARNING parents of this careless bus driver.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:01 pm
    • @Angry

YOU should get yours straight. My comment about her (Miss Vega’s) ‘daughter’ was in response to a response she wrote. I stand by my statements. Driver’s cannot kick a student off the bus, they are pulled by a administrator at the school. It is not our decision. Mildred is not careless. You do not know all the facts or rules concerning regulations about the bus, school system and apparently cannot follow a thread. My facts are as stand.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:40 pm
      • Get your words straight, first off, you have proven your mother has violated so many things by you knowing anything about any of our children. And YOU stated that Miss Mills child was not on the bus that day. That is incorrect.

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 12:39 pm
  • Richie, by doing a better job, do you mean by not racking up 6 accidents…8 citations and was it 16 reprimands???

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:59 am
  • I have a job, and was a girl scout leader and drove 5 tons, deuce and a halfs, dump trucks in the army. I am 100% confident I could do a better job. I’m just sayin!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:52 am
    • Then join us! Driving a school bus is like driving your deuce and halfs, dump trucks filled with a group of scouts needing to be entertained and looked after. So if you can do all that at once, you are an angel just like us bus driver’s!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:02 pm
      • I’ll make them balloon animals any chance I can!!!!

Wednesday, 14 September 2016, 12:37 pm
  • Who ever wrote a comment about Mildred , come down apply for a driving job and let me know what you thing if you could do a better job.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:22 am
    • Amen Richie!!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:45 am
  • There are no citation from the county! Look it up lemons. Only from the board.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:05 am
  • I love that people are hiding behind names on here, and not commenting on Facebook so people know who they are. This is disgusting that people are trying to defend this woman. Her records are public and speak for themselves. And someone mentioned someone was smoking at the stop. Mildred was caught smoking on the bus, that’s on her record.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 10:34 am
  • Miss Mills child has never been removed from the bus!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 10:25 am
  • lemons you didn’t even try to talk to Mildred

Monday, 12 September 2016, 9:59 am
      • You are writing about Ms. Rodgers and she has the right to comment herself. No driver would allow you to interview them while they were on the route but that does not mean you cannot do it when she’s in between runs or after now does it?

Monday, 12 September 2016, 10:24 am
  • And the reason in 2011 is anniversary of his death and had the route that went by his accident site and funeral home. And if anyone has lost a child they would uderstand.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 9:52 am
  • Vega you are telling complete lies.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 9:49 am
    • Missy I am not telling lies because it happened. My daughter was left at school until 6:30 at night because she refused. I even tried to talk to her and she respected my wish while I was there and then did it all over again and then my daughter was tripped. She don’t care. My daughter is disabled and she just made her condition worse.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 10:17 am
  • Ha, she loved kids and wouldn’t put one in danger that is complete bull ****. I am sorry she kicked my disabled daughter off the school bus for refusing to sit with bullies and then talked **** about me in front of my daughter. My daughter told me she has almost got into several accidents when she use to drive the bus. She don’t care about the kids she cares about that check and the benefits.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 9:18 am
    • Sorry to inform you Ms. Vega, but the check (Trust me it is not a huge paycheck) and benefits does not outweigh the problems we encounter while driving. She almost ‘got into’ several accidents or avoided them? To a child both can mean the same thing. I know Mildred and she would never talk **** about a parent in front of their child. Every person who works cares about their check and benefits, your innuendo does not apply to just this situation.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 10:27 am
      • Yes you are correct both can mean the same to a child. I will agree with that but either way she should have never kicked my child off the bus and she did talk about me in front of my child and told my daughter to tell me if I have a problem for me to drive the bus. Really?? When all I asked was a simple request. Have my child sit in the front away from the bully. But no she didn’t want to. She had no grounds according to Tallahassee to kick my daughter off the bus and for that reason she will never gain my respect. My child should not have to deal with that. My daughter is disabled and just made things a lot worse for her.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 10:57 am
        • Sitting in front of the bus is not always an option. Many drivers have the children who are problematic sitting there and this is to avoid any situation that may occur if they are riding in the back and being unruly. Most drivers, when asked, will comply with letting the child sit where the parent suggests, or asks. Basically, what you are saying is not the full story. We cannot ‘kick’ a child off the bus, that is not our call. We can write a child up and then it goes through a process, but the driver does not have the ability to kick any child off the bus. This sounds like it was a school based ruling, not a driver’s doing.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:39 am
          • No I am telling the full story because I did request for my daughter to sit in the front and she did it just to please me but then told my daughter if she doesn’t sit in the back with the bullies she would be kicked off the bus again. The boys and girls are segregated on the bus so that is why the girls sit in the back. Correct the bus driver cannot kick a child off the bus and that is why Tallahassee is now involved. Footage has been requested. How can you make a disabled child sit in the back where she is being bullied? The child advised the driver as well as the parent. This is not good for the child, bus driver, or county.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:35 pm
  • Thank you Candice for knowing who she really is. It’s the parents that want to cause issues and don’t discipline their own children that caused crap like this too come up. They would rather cause problems for a good bus driver that reports everything that happens on her bus then take care of their own children and make sure their children behave. it just makes me sick how one parent can cause so much grief for school bus driver just because they don’t agree how their school bus driver disciplines their child. and she is the bus driver that would rather talk to the parent to get the parent to take care of the situation then write the child up.
    nowadays there are children hitting bus drivers hitting attendants and attendants and bus drivers can not touch them with one finger they can’t even hold them down whenever they’re waiting on somebody to get there to keep them from hurting other children or themselves

Monday, 12 September 2016, 9:03 am
    • You need to know the facts before you talk. She is not a good driver. She has had multiple complaints about dropping kids at wrong stops, never being on time, she is rude to the children and you have an entire school (challenger) that will not let her drive for them. Reason being?? She is not capable. And 8 at fault citations and 6 at fault accidents while driving the bus is a reason for parents to worry. Be honest with yourself, if it were your kids and a random bus driver you didn’t know and you heard that record compiled with her actions you would be worried to. This has nothing to do with the discipline of these children. All the children that get off at this stop are well behaved. It was her actions that made the parents question her record…not the other way around!!
      There needs to be reform to the policy. Someone with this many at faults should not be driving dozens of kids around.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:06 pm
  • Pull ever school bus drivers record and know the facts.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 8:58 am
    • If all drivers have the same kind of record then there is a bigger problem than originally thought.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:39 pm
  • I’ve known Mildred for 42 years and this is a witch hunt. She’s an excellent driver, always has been. She loves children and would never put one in danger. I DO KNOW what happened in 2011. Her youngest child DIED! Shame on the school board for reprimanding a 10 year(at that time) employee for losing their son and not being chipper and on the job. And SHAME on this source for trying to ruin a good person’s life. I would bet Mildred is the safest and BEST driver this district has.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 8:43 am
    • 8 at fault citations and 6 at fault accidents with school bus and students is a reason to worry! Would you hire someone with that driving record to drive you and your kids around? I highly doubt it. Even the director at transportation admitted he wouldn’t.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:51 am
  • The reason there is no show no call on her record is because she lost her 24 year old son in 2010 and was having a very hard time dealing with it and before y’all go looking at 1 bus driver you need to pull all the bus drivers record. and parents also need to pull the video of their kids how they are Misbehavin on the bus and discipline their own children so the bus driver doesn’t have to do it so she can pay attention to the road.
    And I dare you to pull every bus driver of Hernando County School the record and their conduct and their points and see who’s the worst

Monday, 12 September 2016, 8:33 am
    • If all the drivers have a record like this, then there’s a bigger problem than originally thought. There is a need for reform to the policy in place. There are good drivers. I have dealt with them. Many of these parents have had children riding on hernando buses for years and have never had a problem. That is why they were all on edge when it came to her behavior as a driver. It was her actions and behavior that made them question her record not the other way around!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:34 pm
  • Sooo, how many DMV/HCSB points does this driver have? That’s a pretty significant detail to leave out, especially since it’s the one that policy cleary points to and gives the district the amunition to pull the trigger. Also, Tom if you have the accident report details, print them. All of the information should be considered and not just the pieces that prompt a witch hunt. After all, a persons livlihood is at stake. After considering ALL the facts, then if the shoe fits, she should definitely wear it. I don’t have any argument to that. Until then, this type of reporting seems unbalanced and a bit bias.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 8:32 am
      • You seem to be experiencing the same treatment I got when I pointed out back in February that the district was in violation of FERPA. It took 4 months to even get a response. And they wonder why we get pissed to the point of cussing them out.

Tuesday, 13 September 2016, 1:17 pm
    • It’s hard to read, but at the end of the article is her driving record. She has 16 points in total.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 12:40 pm
  • HERNANDO COUNTY the worst of the worst in Florida for incompetency, stupidity of our governing body. Until the residents say we have had enough and start protesting, closing down schools by protest, taking over county offices in protest will anything be done or sit back on your and wait until some child dies.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 4:51 am
  • I hate spell check! “Fox chapel” although fix chapel needs to be more like it, and “are bull ****!” Again sorry for the words!

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 10:53 pm
  • The lovely and useless Lori Romano needs to go! Bus drivers with a record like hers need to go! They need to clean house with Hernando county schools specifically deltona and fix chapel.
    Those 2 schools are by far the worst. The bullying policy only goes into affect once your child has had enough and fights back then your child gets reprimanded not the others. The policies they have set in motion or bullshit! And excuse my words. I moved out of the county to get my kids clear away from those 2 schools. And it doesn’t matter if someone has ever driven a bus before you fool. They chose the job they went through the training if you can’t control a bus full of kids ask for a monitor for which ever route is problematic. They have supervisors that sit at a desk doing mostly what? Sitting there drinking coffee as if they are at a coffee social. Get out and help. Do the job your being paid to do. Parents if your kid is problematic on the bus get ready to drive them to school unless your going to help correct the behavior.

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 10:50 pm
    • Well said you hit the nail on the head

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 11:34 pm
  • @D
    He clearly replied to you. The bus driver was at fault for the crashes. Why are you defending her? There’s lots of great bus drivers out there who don’t have any infractions like this lady

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 10:41 pm
    • Yes, he replied. It is best, maybe, that he proofreads his ‘news stories’ before they go to print. Why am I defending her? Do you realize how many miles a day, week, month and year a driver is on the road with up to 83 children behind their head? She IS a caring person and would do anything for a friend. Miss Mills’ child was not on the bus that day due to someone at the school pulling the child off the bus. Yet this turned into a witch hunt on Ms. Rodger’s. The people complaining are the ones that need to volunteer at the schools and get off their backsides and actually do SOMETHING to help the situation, not fuel the fire.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 9:49 am
      • No the one’s complaining all work or do not have the ability to work and I know that some of them do volunteer. This is not a witch hunt. All citations were with school bus and her fault. That’s too much. I know people who drive for a living for many years and don’t come anywhere near these numbers.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:58 am
  • Pay a decent wage you may get quality people , this whole area is backward and the kids pay the price

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 10:17 pm
  • What’s up with all those women smoking at the bus stop. I was a smoker for 20 years and even realized how dangerous second hand smoke was.

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 10:00 pm
    • If you look closely only 2 moms are smoking.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:53 am
  • All these concerned parents- 1/2 of them unemployed- non of them applying to drive…

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 9:57 pm
    • Not all parents can take a job that fits this schedule and I know that the ones that do work, are good at their job and do it properly. This lady does not know how to do her job properly. Challenger will not even let her drive their students. That’s a whole school that agrees with how these parents feel, and justly so!

Monday, 12 September 2016, 11:44 am
  • Thank you Tom for bringing. This to light.

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 9:51 pm
  • My child is one that was pushed through grades also. He just got an iep after 8 yrs of fighting. I’m hoping it helps him. I’m not able to home school or I would.

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 9:50 pm
  • https://www.change.org/p/hernando-county-superintendent-petition-removal-of-position I also bet Gus knew about this too! Fire them all!!!!!

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 9:47 pm
  • Thank you Tom for bringing awareness to this. I have recently pulled my special needs child out of public school and homeschooling him because for 3 years straight now the district has told me one thing but was doing another . Special needs children do not get what they are supposed to. My child was pushed thru grade levels just so they didn’t have to give him what his iep said he was. I contacted the dept. Of education and the woman I spoke to told me that I was not the only parent going thru this and she was taking it to the supervisor because hernando county has gotten so many complaints. Something needs to be done for these poor children who are suffering.

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 9:35 pm
  • You stated: “Rodgers crashed her school bus 6 times.” How many was she cited at fault for? Every accident, be it a driver’s fault or another’s is on record. You are making it sound like they were all her fault. Do you even have that information? Do you know what may have happened to her personal life in 2011 that caused her to miss so much work? NO… Family first and if that is what she was caring for then kudo’s to the Lady.

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 9:25 pm
      • Drive a Bus for a day Mr. Lemons.

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 9:34 pm
        • Childrens lives are at stake. Being a difficult job is common sense, Many people drive buses that comment was from one of our village idiots

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 9:50 pm
          • @another parent
            Aren’t you just an abundant ray of sunshine! Of course children’s lives are at stake. WE think about that every time we get behind the wheel. How about the parent’s who sit in their cars waiting for us to unload and will not even come to the door to get their children. They let them cross busy streets alone or attempt to go halfway and stop, ignoring the driver asking them to come to the door to pick up their child or find out if something happened that day on the bus.

I must be a village idiot because I care about OUR kids and my fellow drivers. If that is the case, so be it. I honestly do not see anyone who is posting negatively doing anything about their complaints. Schools do not have enough volunteers who could help in the classroom making the schools a better place. Do not want to volunteer in the school? Then get off your duff and organize a schedule for each parent to stay a week at the bus stop assuring the children’s safety.

We drive up to eight hours a day, five days a week and 180 days a year. A usual route can be 150 miles a day, so that’s 27,000 miles a year with upward of 83 children behind you. Every driver does all they possibly can to ensure the safety of their children. What we need is parent’s who are willing to assist us when we talk to you about a potential problem. We are the first person your child sees in the morning and we greet them with a ‘good morning’. Many children, through my years of driving, have told me their parent’s do not even say that to them. We tell them to have a ‘wonderful afternoon or weekend’ and notice anything new they may have from shoes, hair ribbons to backpacks. They tell us about their day and maybe how awful their weekend was because ‘mommy’ was in a bad mood. Some of the things we are told would make your hair stand on end. It is up to us to figure out how much is fabricated and how much is true so we can report anything we feel is amiss. WE, the driver’s, try to talk to the parent before doing anything… such a shame a parent cannot afford us the same courtesy.

Enjoy your week Lady.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 10:20 am
        • no excuse fire her and super

Monday, 12 September 2016, 12:30 am
        • So in reply to Mr Lemons’ and “Another Parent”‘s statements, you think that it’s perfectly acceptable for a person to accrue 8 citations and cause not one, not three, but SIX accidents, putting children’s lives and other innocent lives in danger and damaging county property, perfectly acceptable to not show up to work with no previous notice or explanation, receive a discipline for it, and then do it again several more times, and perfectly acceptable to smoke on the school bus, all because some parents don’t wait at the exit door for their child to get off the bus and because you work 180 days a year, driving, which is clearly in the job description of the application you filled out? If you don’t want to spend your working life driving, or taking care of children, then why apply as a school bus driver? It seems that you obviously take you job as a school bus driver seriously and care about your charges while they are in your care, but I feel I am probably not the only one to find not only Ms. Rodger’s actions inexcusable and deplorable, but also your support and defense of this woman actions. Because of that, I could not possibly feel comfortable putting my children on a bus with you any more than I could with Ms. Rodgers….and with that being said,

You said, and I quote, “Every driver does all they possibly can to ensure the safety of their children.”…..Would you then, please, explain to me and all the other parents reading this, exactly how Ms. Mildred Rodgers did that?

Monday, 12 September 2016, 1:47 pm
        • Pizza drivers drive more than you all and if had that many accidents at fault and crap they be A Fired B insurance thru th roof.
          Stop whining like a union POS and do the job right. Have some ethics and honor in performing the job.
          Otherwise go sit under the I-75 over pass and drink your cheap wino you lazy POS.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 9:53 pm
      • Read again it does not say she was at fault.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 4:42 am
        • It doesn’t. but her driving record is at the end of the article. She got 2 points for each of the accidents. In total she has 16 points. A bit much for keeping her on as a driver.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 12:37 pm
  • The Domestic Battery Charge is one’s business since the charges were dropped. Obviously there no reason to charge her or they would have.

Were the accidents ruled to be her fault or the other drivers? Were the citations given while she was driving the bus or her private vehicle? All of this would matter with how many points she has against her with the school board.

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 9:25 pm
    • Aye fam, I was on her bus when she got a citation and she crossed a double line and im pretty sure that’s illegal, so hush. She cursed as children too, uncalled for if you ask me.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 3:26 pm
  • All the more reason to sign the sign the petition to remove our Superintendent because the buck stops at the top and we cant trust that in any situation regarding our children.

Sunday, 11 September 2016, 9:24 pm