Sheriff’s Deputy Attacked by Dog, Second Attack in Less Than a Week

UPDATE: 11:02 P.M. – There are now conflicting reports that the injured deputy may have been bitten by a different breed. We will update this story once officials have released the full report. It should be noted that there were several lose animal calls at the same time.

SPRING HILL – A Hernando County Sheriff’s Deputy was injured this evening after sources say he was attacked by a Pit Bull.

According to sources, around 8:45 p.m. this evening a Sheriff’s Deputy was attempting to confine an “aggressive Pit Bull” in the area of Deltona Blvd and Melrose Street. After securing the Pit Bull back into the owner’s property, the Pit Bull attacked the Deputy, injuring his right leg. There are unconfirmed reports that the Pit Bull was running towards bystanders before it was corralled in a residence near Chase Street and Deltona Blvd.Fire Rescue responded to treat the deputy but it is unknown if he was transported to a local hospital.

There are no reports of the deputy discharging his firearm during the incident and the animal is believed to be unharmed.

Last Wednesday a Deputy was attacked by a German Shepherd on River Road, after responding to a neighbor dispute involving a Pit Bull that was shot and killed. (CLICK FOR FULL STORY)

We will bring more on this story if new information develops.

Comments
  • Some people are stupid .. you’ve seen how many dog fighting dings have been broken up recently, but people still wanna blame the breed!! You think the dogs set up the dog fighting ring ?? No it’s stupid humans

Tuesday, 6 June 2017, 6:22 pm
  • Hey pam they are banned in Dade County they are doing good Hernando County needs to do something county commissioner’s around here need to wake up

Monday, 5 June 2017, 12:03 pm
    • no kidding. so smart.. hey if we ban cars we wont have car crashes either. great logic. lets just make everything illegal and people in cages with select masters to feed us occasionally. that way we stay safe, right? pams idea of tougher penalties to persuade irresponsible people, now who would support that? hmmm.. maybe almost every one on planet earth.

Tuesday, 6 June 2017, 10:04 am
  • Glad it wasn’t the kid in the picture who got bit by the dog. There is no reason for anyone to have a vicious dog in a residential area that is full of kids and especially if they can’t keep it within the confines of a fence or house. Even leashed that dog would have drug the owner down the street to get some fresh human meat.
    I hope the dog was quarantined and I hope the owners have a hefty bill for that and the treatment the deputy needed.
    Irresponsible dog owners need heavily fined.

Monday, 5 June 2017, 8:41 am
  • The breed of dog is not the problem. The breed of the owner is the problem. I have two neighbors with pits, one is gentle and sweet as are her owners. The other is​ a pup that gets smacked and yanked on his chain when the owner gets frustrated. The owners of pits should have mandatory training in order to own one.

Monday, 5 June 2017, 8:02 am
    • The Breed of the Dog is a huge problem. They were bred to fight. They are 6% of dogs and responsible for 87% of deaths, and many more attacks and injuries than other dogs.

Yes, there are plenty of scum who own these animals, AND plenty of Loving, Sweet, family Pits (and other dangerous breeds) that turn for no apparent reason.

So people who chose to own dangerous animals should have to pay extra fees for monitoring, or they should be banned.

It’s just plain wrong for stupid people to be permitted to buy these animals and just treat them like regular pets.

Monday, 5 June 2017, 11:09 am
  • My pit is a big baby, so it’s not the breed, but how they are raised. That goes for any dog breed.

Monday, 5 June 2017, 6:03 am
    • I Agree have owned pits for 20yrs and trained them it’s in the owners hands if it can’t be secured

Monday, 5 June 2017, 12:09 pm
      • We know!!
        20 YRS already!!
        JEEZZ!!!
        LOOSER!!!

Monday, 5 June 2017, 2:49 pm
        • Yea 20 yrs learn how to spell loser

Monday, 5 June 2017, 5:01 pm
          • AGAIN!!!
            20 YRS!!!
            U spent 19&1/2 of them telling people!!!

Wednesday, 7 June 2017, 4:03 pm
  • Pam, the best and accurate reply by far! It’s frustrating to not be able to walk or ride your bike for exercise with out the worrying of being chased by an unleashed dog. People need to train their dogs and keep them on leashes at all times when outside, including in own front/back yard when not fenced in securely. I’ve been chased by a handful of dogs while riding my bike, and one in particular where the owner screamed at me to put my feet up, because he knew his dog was going to bite me. Luckily I did not get bit because I fell off my bike when it came to a stop and the dog got scared enough to back off for a second, just in time for the owner to grab it. I now carry a Fog Horn and Pepper Spray and as much of a dog lover I am, I will use them if I need too. People, PLEASE keep your dog’s LEASHED!!!

Monday, 5 June 2017, 2:34 am
    • Revision: Name should say “Tired Of Unleashed Dogs”

Monday, 5 June 2017, 2:38 am
    • Neither a fog horn nor pepper spray will help if a Pitbull is in attack mode.Normal dogs yes,not pitty.I recommend you carry a concealed weapon.You live in a state that gives you the right to protect your life.

Monday, 5 June 2017, 8:22 pm
  • I agree with PAM

Monday, 5 June 2017, 12:32 am
  • This breed nor any other breed needs to be banned..However we do need way more training in this county and stricter penalties for irresponsible owners

Sunday, 4 June 2017, 11:06 pm
  • Theses dogs need to be banned from hernando county the deputy should have shot it like i would and will have

Sunday, 4 June 2017, 9:59 pm
    • I totally agree! You go into Animal Control and there are pits lined up in cages, snarling and barking. They are NOT family dogs. There are just too many maulings and deaths done by these killers.

Sunday, 4 June 2017, 10:54 pm
      • I’ve had pits for almost 20 yrs and have never had a problem with them getting out you have to be a responsible owner and watch and train your animals

Monday, 5 June 2017, 12:05 pm
  • Man -o- Man! Maybe Hernando sheriff’s deputies should take some dog training courses!! For THEM!!
    Talk about race relations, canine’s definitely don’t like them. “DOGS LIVES MATTER!”

Sunday, 4 June 2017, 9:48 pm
    • I’m not exactly sure what exactly you mean by that statement. For your information, this particular deputy owns dogs that are bigger than the one that attacked him. He has owned and trained service dogs for years and is very experienced in handling them. When dogs are not confined properly or trained correctly by their owners, there in is the problem. NOT the officer that was attacked while doing his job. Protecting the public. Better he was attacked while doing his job than having a young kid walking down the street being mauled to death by an unrestrained dog.

Sunday, 4 June 2017, 10:16 pm
      • Ditto what they said

Sunday, 4 June 2017, 11:47 pm
      • Spot on.

Monday, 5 June 2017, 9:42 am
      • I agree

Monday, 5 June 2017, 12:01 pm
      • Couldn’t have said it better myself.. some ignorance can’t be taught..

Monday, 5 June 2017, 6:12 pm
      • Well said jmr

Tuesday, 6 June 2017, 9:59 am
    • Lol

Sunday, 4 June 2017, 10:22 pm
    • idiot….you have no idea what you are talking about….stay in your hole with your head up there!!!

Monday, 5 June 2017, 12:06 am