Teen Charged with Attempting to Kill Infant, Watched as Victim Struggled to Survive

PORT RICHEY (PASCO) – A teenager is charged with premeditated attempted murder and child abuse after he tried to smother a 4-month-old infant.

According to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office, 14-year-old Andrew McCormick of 7304 Ivanhoe Drive was in the care of the infant when placed the child face down on a bed and attempted to suffocate the child with a pillow. McCormick then sat down on a couch and watched as the child struggled to rollover. Officials say the infant remained covered for 5 to 10 minutes until the victim’s parents arrived home and discovered what was happening to their child.

Deputies arrested the McCormick and charged with First Degree Attempted Murder and Child Abuse. McCormick remains in custody – held without bond.

mcmccsl

Comments
  • HAS ANY OF YOU IGNORANT JUDGEMENTAL PRICKS THOUGHT ABOUT THE MENTAL ILLNESSES THAT DO EXIST, PEOPLE CAN’T HELP. THIS BOY IS SOMEONE’S CHILD, GRANDCHILD, BROTHER, NEPHEW, AND COUSIN. SOME TYPE OF ABUSE MUST HAVE BEEN GOING ON SOMEWHERE.. AS A MATTER OF FACT ANDREW IS MY COUSIN WHOM MOVED TO FLORIDA FROM ALABAMA AND FUNNY THING HE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS TO THE SEVERAL BABIES HE WAS AROUND ALL THE TIME.. HOW ABOUT PRAYING FOR HIM INSTEAD OF JUDGING HIM!!!!

Monday, 30 January 2017, 7:54 am
    • Also Andrew was in Florida with his father for only a few months, the father he had not seen in 12 years..

Monday, 30 January 2017, 8:38 am
  • i went to school with him the both our parents knew if we was home alone and he needed help he would ask me but idk y he did this it shocked me and still cant believe it

Sunday, 29 January 2017, 6:21 pm
  • So glad to know baby boy is ok!

Monday, 9 January 2017, 6:28 am
  • Incident occurred Dec 29…no police involvement until Jan 3?? WHY????? I’m with you, Polecat….

Monday, 9 January 2017, 6:27 am
    • Andrew received a disability Check, do the math,

Monday, 30 January 2017, 8:36 am
  • Okay baby boy was about to be murdered on Dec 29th, and this WASN’T REPORT ED TO POLICE UNTIL JAN 3RD SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!! Did no one else not notice the time frame Had that been my baby, police would have been notified immediately as I was sitting on his chest, probably knocking his evil head as I waited for help.

Sunday, 8 January 2017, 7:35 pm
  • Ya he will prob get out of jail in 20 years a free bird. He should be on the sex offender registry as it should be called felon registry also for a holes like this. He should be labeled for the Rey of his life a threat to society

Sunday, 8 January 2017, 4:58 pm
    • Would you want to be raped anywhere?!!!! How would you feel !!!???? Sick *u*k

Monday, 30 January 2017, 8:33 am
  • Andrew McCormick of Port Richey was babysitting the baby boy, who was not identified, at a New Port Richey home while the child’s parents went to a store about 11 p.m. Dec. 29, according to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. McCormick placed the baby face down onto a blanket on a bed, then put a pillow on top of the baby’s head, investigators wrote in McCormick’s arrest report. After he was taken into custody, deputies said, McCormick admitted he intended to kill the baby. McCormick told investigators he sat on the couch and watched as the baby flailed his arms and attempted to roll over.

The baby remained that way for five or 10 minutes, McCormick told deputies, before the parents returned home.

“They immediately ran in and picked the baby up,” said Detective Wayne Boekeloo. “The baby was crying, all red.”

The Sheriff’s Office was notified of the incident on Jan. 3. The families of the teen and the baby are being cooperative, Boekeloo said.

The baby did not suffer any injuries and remains with his family.

In addition to attempted first-degree murder, McCormick is facing a charge of child abuse while in custodial authority. He was arrested Friday and remained in the custody of law enforcement that evening.

Sunday, 8 January 2017, 3:07 pm
  • Tom,
    Have there been any updates on the baby’s condition?
    I so hope he/she is ok and that there are no long term physical or neurological problems. I also pray that child is too young to ever remember such a horrifying experience!

Sunday, 8 January 2017, 12:09 pm
  • Red rum…………….red rum………….redrum…….redrum……..redrum……..redrum redrum redrum redrum redum

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 7:21 pm
  • Problems Start at Home Gary! The Apple Does Not Fall Far From The Tree! I Am Sure You Voted For Hillary

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 5:24 pm
    • better dust the tobacco juice off of the crystal ball reb, not only did i not vote for that poor excuse for a honest human i cannot think of even one person that i associate with that did. see if maybe Dr. Phil can help you out some

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 10:51 pm
      • Your still an a$$

Monday, 9 January 2017, 9:00 am
  • another stupid *** comment about its the parents fault!! rebel pride i don’t know what your parents did or didn’t do for or to you but get the hell over this blaming the actions of a deranged person on the person or persons that supposedly raised them. SMH. might as well lock up the baby’s parents too for not doing a full back ground check on this 14 yr. old child with a serious problem, and their parents too for what they failed to do. see ya at the next meeting Reb

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 4:14 pm
  • They Should Lock up His Parents Too Or Who Ever Raised Him As They Failed Him.! He At That Age is Just a Byproduct of Them. He was Not Taught Anything About Love or Compassion. There is no Hope for him Now! This is How Ted Bundy/ Jeffrey Dahmer/ Charles Manson Started. Hope The Baby is OK

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 9:45 am
  • 1. Most girls get their first babysitting gigs before age 14. Hell, I had my first W2 job at 14.
    2. Why is his name and photo released? He’s still a minor, and I didn’t think news outlets could release names and photos of anyone under 18.

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 9:16 am
  • Prayers for the tiny, innocent victim!

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 6:07 am
  • Yep, hangem than shootem, problem solved

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 4:20 am
  • Unbelievable… what is wrong with kids. Oh yeah they took our spanking rights away, and any form of discipline, I see having “time outs” is working sooo well. Parents wake the hell up and whip your rotten, spoiled good for nothing brats into shape before it’s too late! My God I was a first aid/CPR certified babysitter up north at 12 years old and I took my job seriously!! But I also got my ass whipped by my father grandparents uncles aunts etc if I needed it. No I wasn’t abused, I also spanked my children if it was needed and my kids are law abiding well adjusted adults. And no I wouldn’t of let that kid watch my children, he doesn’t look like a trustworthy person, very glad the parents came home when they did, praying there isn’t any ill effects to the baby.

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 1:02 am
    • Unless you know for a fact that this scumbag was not spanked and was instead only put in time out all the time, please shut up. You’re just rambling on about how you were spanked and how people need to whip their kids, etc. etc. when there is no where that even states or proves this boy was never spanked or disciplined. Also no where that states he was just put in time out. He is disgusting and mental. Why? No one will ever know. There is no proof that spanking “works”. I have known people who were whipped through their upbringing and are great people. HOWEVER, I have also known the SAME for people who were raised without physical punishments. I have also known people who were whipped and STILL never had any respect for authority. So please stop with your ridiculous assumptions.

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 11:46 am
      • You ho girl!!!

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 4:50 pm
        • OOPS You go girl!!!!

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 4:51 pm
    • Amen you said it all and i give you 5 starts its in the bible in the last days children will be disobedient and that is just what we have

Monday, 9 January 2017, 1:46 pm
  • I agree with not leaving the baby with a 14 year old. This is a heinous story and I am glad the baby was rescued. I am just at a loss to all this violence everyday. I in no way, consider my self a conspiracist but, beginning to think they are putting something in the water. People are just going insane all around us. This news, the daily news, the recent shootings of innocent people with no rhyme or reason. I am a Christian but I don’t walk around holy rolling it. I think maybe, we should let God back in our homes, schools, government and our institutions. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that sway away from God seems to be allowing this evil to over take our society. We have lost morals and values today. A little fear of the consequences when we get to the other side, as far as I am concerned, was always a good thing IMO!!!!! A good smack on the a** only hurts for a short time but, it is remembered the next time!!!!

Friday, 6 January 2017, 11:55 pm
    • Im with you you are correct last 8 years has let it in my opinion.

Saturday, 7 January 2017, 11:31 am
      • Nice how you turn this around on Obama !

Tuesday, 10 January 2017, 7:21 pm
  • So happy the parents returned in time! Unreal.

Friday, 6 January 2017, 10:08 pm
  • take it out back, one in the back of the head…problem solved…theres no excuse for this scums actions… NO EXCUSE

Friday, 6 January 2017, 9:33 pm
  • Wow you piece of s

Friday, 6 January 2017, 9:28 pm
  • Was this his sibling? Why would any parent let a 14 yr old boy babysit unless they were related? I’d like to kno more!!

Friday, 6 January 2017, 9:26 pm
    • EXACTLY what i was gonna post! He must live there. 14 is not old enough IMO.. not today’s generation!

Friday, 6 January 2017, 10:31 pm
      • im his friend we always get left home alone because our parents know i take care of things if he needs help idk y he did this

Sunday, 29 January 2017, 6:18 pm
    • yes they was related i know him went to school together idk y he did it

Sunday, 29 January 2017, 6:16 pm
  • God forgive me by the looks of him i would` ve never left my child with him not 4mos 4yrs or 40… sending prayers to the baby

Friday, 6 January 2017, 9:22 pm
  • Baby sitter. This piece of sh_t looks more like a child molester. Get him behind bars guick so he never will hurt another child again. Are all the sick pieces of sh_t moving to Florida??
    It sure looks like that. Go on the Hernando county sheriff’s web site and look at the scum they have arrested. DUI, BATTERY. Driving license suspended. Are all the scum relocating in Hernando county. Sure as hell looks like that.
    Pit bull eating her own puppies. Thank God real news real fast covers this because you will never see this on Bay News Nine.

Friday, 6 January 2017, 9:19 pm
    • i use to go to school with him in alabama y he do it?

Sunday, 29 January 2017, 6:15 pm