Teenager Held on $24,000 Bond for Spray Painting Graffiti

SPRING HILL – A homesick New York teenager faces a slew of charges, after he vandalized several local businesses and public properties.

According to officials, 18-year-old Dakota James Wedgren used spray paint to tag his initials and other markings on utility boxes, USPS mail boxes, street signs dumpsters, vehicles, and commercial structures.

Investigators say a total of 18 criminal mischief complaints were filed over the course of about 35 days and some of the same complainants were targeted more than once.

During the course of the investigation, Powell Middle School Resource Deputy, John Fremer, began asking students if they knew anything about the graffiti.  Several students provided Deputy Fremer with the name “Dakota” and with that information Detectives were able to determine that Wedgren was their suspect.

Investigators made contact with Wedgren at his home inside Spring Haven Apartments, and that’s where they also located a large piece of cardboard with the same graffiti initials used in the Criminal Mischief cases. Wedgren told investigators during an interview that he committed the offenses to “blow off steam because he had been depressed lately.” The specific graffiti sign was supposed to look like the letters ME (referring to himself) and NY (referring to New York), where he just moved from two months ago.

Wedgren is charged with 10 misdemeanor and 8 felony counts of criminal mischief. Wedgren remains behind bars at the Hernando County Jail on a $24,000 bond.

Comments
  • No one has asked why a bunch of middle schoolers know an 18 year old?

Friday, 5 May 2017, 11:11 pm
  • Dumb Yankee, so you are saying President Trump MADE HIM DO IT? Who is the idiot here? YOU.

Friday, 5 May 2017, 11:42 am
  • how many of you idiots voted for Trump? You do know he is from NY right?

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 10:31 pm
  • Maybe it’s time for Florida to take things in there own hands ?

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 6:57 pm
  • Word on the street , they gave a big bond because their gonna hit em’ with Chester charges. He invited kids to Micheal jacksons sleep over. Where it’s bed time when the big hand is on the little hand.?

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 6:33 pm
  • Mandatory enlistment in the Military, where he might just learn some respect, and discover it’s not all just about him.

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 3:02 pm
    • I wish they still did that. That seems like a punishment/opportunity fitting the crime. Totally agree.

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 3:38 pm
  • I guess he could have done worse, for the 24k for sure. A bit high unless they found something else in his background. Send him down, i guess we can sort them out.

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 2:03 pm
  • We should start a go fund me for him so he can get a bus ticket back to new york since he does not want to live here..well guess what..we dont want or need u here

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 12:33 pm
  • Give him 9 months jail and suspend half if he leaves the state. Sentence would be re-instated if he returns. Let me guess…livin with mom…could not afford to be on his own.
    Then again; WHY is an 18 year old hanging with middle schoolers who are 11-to 14 years old?

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 11:33 am
  • I was also taken aback with the amount of the bond. That is so far above of previous bonds set for far worse crimes, it is unbelieveable! Not that I think that he didn’t deserve being arrrested. He was wrong, but the amount of the Bail Bond is way over the top.

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 11:10 am
  • FLORIDIAN. Spellcheck!

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 11:09 am
    • You have to watch that 38. Canyousee will get ya

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 3:39 pm
  • DEPORT his azz! Back to New York where he fits in. FLORIDAIAN LIVES MATTER!

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 10:28 am
  • He can get off if he can get the ACLU involved to protect his 1st amendment rights.

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 8:48 am
  • what.. no ones going to ask how a bunch of little kids in school knew this adult was the one that did it? or why people have such an unusual interest in regions with higher taxes, over priced housing, corrupt politics, congested traffic, increased insurance premiums, higher crime rates, inclement weather, excessive pollution, etc. I will never go back to that nonsense. I live where the rest of the world comes to vacation. What is wrong with people?

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 7:32 am
    • The problem is most of the people screaming “send him back” were dragged down here by their “yankee” parents. And as far as why no one seems to question the relationship with the middle schoolers… I dont know… forest through the trees… I guess??

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 3:42 pm
  • Am I missing something? Why, or how is an 18 year old connected with middle school aged kids? How would those asked by the resource officer know about 18 year old “Dakota”?

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 6:06 am
  • what an idiot

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 4:31 am
  • Ugh go back to ny thats why this town has been turned into a dump because of trashy people taking over and the litter around is disgusting just like you see in New York take it with you and and find something more constructive to do with your time like volunteer somewhere maybe get a job

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 12:58 am
    • No what makes this place is you meth heads oh and don’t forget crack lmfao

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 4:15 pm
  • Nice bond and record, yet the “man” who was recklessly twirling a gun and shot and killed that woman and her baby never even got arrested?

Our legal system is screwy.

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 12:05 am
  • Send his @ss back to York there is lots of unused tunnels there he can spray all day. Better yet take a real art class and sale your paintings do some good with your life.

The Watcher

Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 10:03 pm
  • I will pay his Yankee way back for him! 1st class Greyhound Bus. P.O.S

Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 10:01 pm
    • Black power

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 7:13 am
      • He’s a lost young kid, who needs help. The color of one’s skin shouldn’t be an issue and by the way he’s white

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 10:53 am
  • So the guy charged with aggregated assault with a firearm a few stories below is held on a 2k dollar bond. The kid with spray paint and possible mental health issues gets 24k dollar bond. Am I the only one who sees a serious problem here?..

Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 9:40 pm
    • No, you’re not the only one. I think he should go to jail, but that bond is screwed up !! That’s why Spring Hill is going to crap….

Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 10:32 pm
    • I agree, your so right. How does spray painting (graffetti) become a felony? That’s ridiculous. The boy is only 18 and if found guilty (which with a public defender he most likely will be unfortunately) he will have felony convictions on his record and won’t be able to get a job or go to school. All for some graffetti? Come on now, we’ve all been kids and have made some poor decisions while we were. I know I did, matter of fact I started a small fire with some matches I found in a vacant wooded lot. A neighbor man saw me, tackled me (I’m a female) and called the cops. The cops TOOK ME HOME, told my parents, and LET THEM HANDLE my punishment. (I think I was 12-13). Thinking about it now I could have been charged with ARSON. Which is most likely a felony. That cop did me a huge favor that day! My point is this “make the Charges, bond, and punishment FIT the crime. Punish him yes absolutely, but don’t ruin the rest of his life over some poor decisions he made at 18.

Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 11:23 pm
    • What the heck is ” aggregated ” assaut ????? This brat does NOT have mental health issues. STUPID IS NOT MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE. Damn yankees ruining Florida again. I say GO HOME TO NEW YORK AND TAKE YOUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES WITH YOU !!!! GOOD RIDDANCE TO ALL !!!!!!

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 8:16 am
      • Oh boy you caught a typo!! Good for you hick dead…

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 3:36 pm
        • Did you catch ” graffetti”??

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 5:33 pm
    • Just guessing…maybe it’s because of the separate instances – 18 counts of criminal mischief.

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 9:34 am
      • I’m thinking maybe it’s the federal mailboxes makes it a felony?? Idk. Just a thought.

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 6:06 pm
        • I didn’t think of that.

Friday, 5 May 2017, 9:01 am
  • I never met a New Yorker that didn’t make a big deal ……about being from New York. And they’re making a big deal bout being from New York……whilst being in Florida.

Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 9:37 pm
    • Yes , new Yorkers think their the sh?t . Well , they really R… A pile of …… If their so bad a$$ why did they leave? ( Got ran out, scared, sissy. Ladyboy,) why was this guy hanging out with middle school kids?? Did anyone ask that?? Maybe there’s more. Charges to come?? He looks like a little biotch boy. Being from NY maybe he’s too bad to put in our jail, maybe he’ll be the PODFATHER! ? Don’t get arrested While this guy is there!!!???

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 5:57 am
      • Yea that roast was wack I rate it a 3/10 for effort

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 9:52 am
        • Ur an obvious new Yorker, douche bag!
          Wack?? Really??
          Carpool with Ur buddy back up north

Friday, 5 May 2017, 6:50 am
      • Lmfao cyber gangster over here ^^ why not say that to the persons face come see me 😉

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 4:10 pm
  • Ok…. send him back to new york….

Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 9:34 pm
  • Say goodbye to your beloved NEW YORK for awhile, young ADULT.
    Unless your public defender can get you off with just a slap on the wrist…
    Oh…he is ‘just a kid’.
    Oh…’he’s depressed’
    He needs counseling…
    Oh…but he’s SO talented…look at that ‘art work’…
    He’s such a unique snowflake…

Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 9:30 pm
    • Apparently you’re the absolute pillar of society, and always have been . In the grand scheme of things- it’s NOT the crime of the century-

Thursday, 4 May 2017, 2:07 pm