Boy, 9 Dies in Multi-Vehicle Crash, Four Others in Serious Condition

BROOKSVILLE – Tragedy struck a Riverview family today, after reports that a 9-year-old boy died in a multi-vehicle collision on I-75.

According to officials, five vehicles were traveling slowly or stopped in the inside northbound lane at mile marker 302 (North of SR-50), due to a previous crash. A sixth vehicle, driven by 33-year-old Gregory Andriotis of Deltona, Florida failed to stop for the slowing traffic and collided with the rear of an SUV, driven by 37-year-old Jordan Scherer. The impact forced a chain reaction of collisions between the remaining vehicles, seriously injuring the Jordan Scherer, and passengers, Brooke Scherer, 35, Mallory Scherer, 5, and fatally injuring 9-year-old Logan Scherer.  Andriotis also sustained serious injuries in the crash. All the injured were either airlifted or transported by ground to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Tampa. There were no reported injuries in the other four vehicles.

The northbound lanes were closed for several hours while the Florida Highway Patrol conducted their investigation.

Charges are pending, say officials.

bad-crash

Comments
  • so sad, the scariest thing in the world for all mothers is to lose a child

Monday, 19 September 2016, 12:47 pm
  • Such a tragedy. Prayers for all

Friday, 16 September 2016, 5:21 pm
  • Its sad a 9 yo boy had to die because of someone speeding and not slowing down looking ahead you can see theres traffic. little one may god lead you to heaven and his family i am so sorry for your loss.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 3:45 pm
  • So sorry for all involved in this terrible accident. Life will never be the same. Prayers.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 1:58 pm
  • This is just the reason we NEVER travel in I-75. Never.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 11:42 am
  • the driver who caused this accident was not following the correct distance from behind…it is easy to approx the rule….an accident that could have been provided by the gentleman following the rules of driving..The two-second rule is useful as it can be applied to any speed. It is equivalent to one vehicle-length for every 8 km/h (5 mph) of the current speed…i use it everytime out using whatever is in my Peripheral vision while not losing frontal vision. He will have to deal with the loss and the consequences..i am sure his phone will be checked…or any other distraction investigated…otherwise he is an unsafe driver, at least that day…prayers to the family of the child and injured and to the family and driver involved that caused the loss…

Friday, 16 September 2016, 11:32 am
  • Prayer to ALL involved in this accident. Fly with the angels little man, and God help all to recover quickly and fully, physically and mentally .

Friday, 16 September 2016, 11:32 am
  • My son-in-law was the driver that caused this accident and believe me…he wasn’t drinking or on his cell phone. The traffic slowed down suddenly and he didn’t react quickly enough. It’s a simple tragic accident where by this poor boy lost his life and his family will have deal with his loss the best way they can, very sad. Greg is devastated by what happened as he is a new father of an 8-month old little boy with another child on the way so he understands what a child means to a parent. Clearly he was at fault and nobody from the family will try to brush that aside I would only caution those who want to demonize him that this could have literally happened to anyone. I have had dozens of times where traffic came to a fast stop in front of me and I had to slam on the breaks or angle off the side of the road to avoid collisions and I was looking straight ahead of me. A vehicle traveling at 65 miles an hour can go a long way in just a few seconds so even if you look at a road sign or passing vehicle you can travel hundreds of yards. To the Scherer family I would like to pass along my most heartfelt apology for this tragedy, I know there are simply no words that can ease your pain in a time like this but I wanted you to know that Greg’s family are heartbroken by your loss and we are praying for you to gain strength from the Lord.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 10:23 am
    • its a terrible situation but its not a simple crash as you stated which would be oops i scratched your bumper… If he was focused and paying attention he would not of crashed at such at such a high rate of speed causing multiple injuries, death, and serious destruction. Multiple other cars were stopped and other slowed down. I know its awful and no one is demonizing the person. We all make mistakes in life. No one is perfect but the driver has serious consequences ahead. No one thinks it was intentional either but it definitely could of been avoided. My mom worked in ocala for a long time and my grandfather was in the hospital up that way. I would take I75 weekly for years. I had to stay a safe distance and figure for weather and other drivers. I would see a few crashes every time I went up to Ocala from hernando county. Driving you have to factor in other drivers especially on a highway. It was raining today and I was doing the speed limit and people would flash me and honk on the expressway and pass as I did 70mph. Im sure his mind is heavy but it is what it is. No turning back from what happened. May others learn hopefully.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 6:32 pm
  • I was on 75 yesterday and people were driving like idiots weaving in and out of cars and changing lanes cutting off cars. I was traveling at 75 miles and hour and there were people tailgating me and I was in the right lane. People need to slow down and pay attention. Where are all of the state police?

Friday, 16 September 2016, 10:19 am
  • The one thing I nearly preach in every crash here that some argue against for unknown reasons. Stay focused when driving. Pay attention. Now he has the death of this child on his hands. Call me cruel for saying the facts but it is true. Theres obviously disabled vehicles ahead, slowing cars and you come barreling through like a bowling ball at the pins, its apparent the driver was distracted. We all make mistakes but driving is a serious responsibility. Every day I witness bad drivers doing the unthinkable ie going through stop signs with out stopping, or completely going through solid red light, and even driving the wrong way in traffic. Between all the technology people cant handle sitting down, let alone use while driving a car.. and the amount of physically and mentally impaired drivers.. its a gamble getting on the road.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 8:34 am
  • If Mr.Andriotis survives since there’s so many seriously injured including himself he has to live with the fact that he killed a nine year old boy because he wasn’t paying attention and failed to slow down for slowing or stopping traffic prayers for everybody involved and to the Scherer family I am deeply sorry for your loss you are in my prayers

Friday, 16 September 2016, 8:28 am
  • My prayers to everyone involved I pray for the nine year old he safe in heaven. WAKE UP DRIVERS everyday it seems someone injured or death.

Friday, 16 September 2016, 7:42 am
  • For the Scherer family my heart breaks for loss of 9 y.o. son. I ask God to heal your family & give you strength to go on. I also ask Him to cradle your lost loved one.
    We the people need to drive defensively at all times. Inattention to activities around us is increasing. No phone call or radio station change is worth DEATH – yours or anothers. Hope young boys death serves to WAKE UP “BUSY” DRIVERS. Don’t let him die in vain and we are so very sorry for your loss

Friday, 16 September 2016, 1:35 am
  • So sad. Thoughts and prayers to the family….

Friday, 16 September 2016, 12:16 am
  • Prayers for the family.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 11:58 pm

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 11:54 pm
  • Prayers for The Family that lost their Son and for all those injured…

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 11:38 pm
  • Someone following to closely, texting or just not paying attention.

Very sad for everyone involved, family and friends.

Thursday, 15 September 2016, 11:27 pm