Man Desperately Tries to Save Victim from Burning Vehicle, Witness Calls Him a “Hero” VIDEO

WEEKI WACHEE – Last night RNRF reported the single vehicle crash along Cortez Blvd that claimed the life of a Spring Hill man. Since that report a witness contacted RNRF and provided dramatic video of a man trying to save the victim from the burning car.

Lindsey Geeraerts tells RNRF that she pulled up on the crash just a man was attempting to pull the victim from the burning vehicle. Geeraerts says she noticed the man pull on the door handle and then fall backwards.

While on the phone with 911 the man approached her and said “It’s not good, there’s somebody in there.” When she told the man firefighters were on the way, he said “They won’t make it here in time.” Geeraerts says the man appeared “helpless and upset” because he couldn’t reach the victim in time. “He’s a hero in my book – putting his life in danger to save a stranger,” Says Geeraerts.  Click Here to Watch Video or Click Below

Officials say 61-year-old Barry J. Weber failed to negotiate a curve in the roadway as he was heading westbound on Cortez Blvd in his 2014 Lexus. As a result, Weber collided with a tree, causing the vehicle to burst into flames.  Weber died at the scene.

The Florida Highway Patrol says they have no record of the man who tried to save the victim.

UPDATE: It has been brought to our attention that Barry Weber was a local well-known Dentist with Family Dentistry of Hernando.

fire-1 fire-2 lin-4 lind-3 lindsey-1

Comments
  • RIP Dr. Weber. You are an amazing man for giving so many beautiful smiles to Hernando County residents over 30 plus years. Those smiles will live on in your memory. ? cheeeeeese

Sunday, 22 January 2017, 4:15 am
  • Barry was a close friend for almost 30 years. My heart hurts for his wife and family as well as his friends and his office family. Whoever the man is that tried to save him is a hero. God bless you for risking your life to try and save him. RIP my dear friend. I will miss your crazy ?

Saturday, 14 January 2017, 2:45 am
  • Dearast Barry, long time friend and dentist for my husband,Jack and me starting in 1989! You were the best and will be greatly missed by so many. Prayers and love to family, especially his adored mother and his long time staff…

Friday, 13 January 2017, 6:52 pm
  • Please take this video down! What if this was your mom dad or someone close to you. Come on.

Friday, 13 January 2017, 6:42 pm
  • you dont like the video DONT watch it … they call it NEWS for a reason…R.I.P. BARRY… see you again someday

Friday, 13 January 2017, 10:09 am
    • That was stupid made no sense oh sorry forgot i live with idiots

Friday, 13 January 2017, 3:38 pm
  • How did this happen where are the witness and the hero how did he miss a curve he took since 88 he used to race his porsche at sebring

Friday, 13 January 2017, 8:04 am
  • Dr weber was my dentist for two years and my last dentist appointment ever seeing him was the day he died when I found out of his death I was deeply saddened and in complete shock as his last words to me were “I love you” ?

Thursday, 12 January 2017, 10:44 pm
  • Lived and grew up in Brooksville. Barry was well known and loved. Prayers for his family.

Thursday, 12 January 2017, 5:51 pm
  • My husband and I go to this wonderful man I only met him once and he made me laugh because he loved my pickles and told me stories of my husband Dr Webber u will be missed prayers for his family friends employees and patients

Thursday, 12 January 2017, 10:58 am
  • Does anybody know where on Cortez this happened at?
    The only place that I can think of would be going out past Weeki Wachee out towards Bayport that road alone is so pitch black at night they need to put lights up there anyway

Thursday, 12 January 2017, 9:43 am
  • Sad news for sure. RIP Dr. Weber. He was our dentist years ago. He has been in Spring Hill for years. Prayers to your family, and God bless the man who did try and help. You did something most people would have never attempted. So sad.

Thursday, 12 January 2017, 7:21 am
  • We will all miss u at park avenue.

Thursday, 12 January 2017, 6:45 am
  • I will miss you dear Doctor Weber, my once employer. You were a good man with a big heart, who loved his family, friends, patients, and staff.

Thursday, 12 January 2017, 5:13 am
  • I have been going to him for over 30 years! He was a kind man always made me laugh when I went to his office. Rip Barry. Prayers for your family and friends to have peace in this untimely trajety.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 7:29 pm
  • Here’s a question… Who was shooting the video while that man was trying to save Dr. Webber?

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 6:51 pm
  • He has been a close friend of our family for many years, we are praying for peace for the family, friends, and for everyone who has had the pleasure of knowing him. Barry….Go join your best friend Gary in heaven now and while your their send him our love and tell him we miss him everyday! Two best friends joined together again to cause trouble….Lol.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 5:30 pm
  • Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to Tammy and Family!! Barry you will be missed and often thought of!! We will keep you all in our prayers and close to our hearts!!

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 5:11 pm
  • Prayers to Dr. Weber and your family. A long friend and a wonderful dentist.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 4:56 pm
  • Such a tragedy…prayers to his family and friends. He was my dentist years ago. Bravo to the mystery angel who tried desperately to help! #heroinmybook

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 2:50 pm
    • What a terrible tragedy…my husband and I have used him for our dentist over last several years. Praying for the entire family and close friends. Sending love and Prayers!

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 3:43 pm
  • He was my friend and dentist. I just saw him two days ago. He will be missed. My heart goes out to Tammy his wife, and family. He’s in God’s hands now what a loving person. I am lucky to have known him, and will always keep him in my heart. Rest in peace Berry

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 2:50 pm
  • So sad. Now, I have no dentist. He was a nice guy and a very good dentist. I will miss him.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 2:20 pm
  • Just got back from his office. Had an appointment today. Did not know what happened until I seen they are closed. RIP. You were a great dentist and prayers to his family

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:58 pm
  • Thank you mystery man, who would put his own life in danger to save someone he does not know!

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:55 pm
  • So so sad to hear this. I just saw him the day after the election and we had a nice conversation. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family friends and all the patients.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:45 pm
  • My God father <3 and my mother and minew long time family friend.. I am so hurt over this.. WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH BARRY I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW UNFAIR LIFE CAN BE.. REST PEACEFULLY MY LOVE.. PRAYERS TO HIS WIFE AND FAMILY AND FRIENDS. MY MOM AND I WILL DO WHATEVER TO HELP JUST CALL US IF THERE'S ANYTHING AT ALL.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:45 pm
  • I have been a patient of Dr. Weber, very nice guy. This is so sad.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:26 pm
  • R.I.P….Barry….you not only my dentist…but a dear friend. You will be missed.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:12 pm
  • Wow this is my dentist!!! Long family friend i am lost for words right now!!!!! R.i.p to this beautiful man and prayers to his family

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:09 pm
  • Instead of you videotapeing why didnt you get out and try to help that wound be the last thing on my mine is to get my phone to videotape you can say what you want to me but i dont care i wound have tryed everything Dirt / a fire extinguisher

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:06 pm
    • Crazy, I understand your comment, but that fire was intense, in hindsight, it’s easy to say what you would have done. However, in the rush of the moment, you focus on only survival, unless you are trained in such a thing, an average person would try the door. That man went above and beyond to try to save that poor man. As far as the video goes, the person saw someone trying to help, saw him attempt to open the door, unless they are a fire fighter and trained how to deal with those situations, the person videoing could have become another victim for rescuers to treat.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:42 pm
      • Mary just ignore her. She has no soul or compassion.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:47 pm
        • Yep ,picked up on that quite awile ago. Sorry for this man’s family, friends and patients. RIP Sir.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 6:39 pm
    • If one man already on the scene was unable to save the man, how do you think a woman…no offense ladies…could do anything differently. At least she called the fire department to try to get help while the man did what he could.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 3:11 pm
      • Amen Kingdomtees!

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 4:26 pm
    • That may be a dashcam you’re viewing. And as others have pointed out, it was completely engulfed.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 5:06 pm
    • did you notice the vehicle engulfed in flames? the amount of dirt would of had to of been dumped by large machinery and it would of taken more than a single extinguisher. That was a fire being actively fueled.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 6:04 pm
    • Out of respect for the family and friends, this video should be taken down. It’s horrific to watch knowing he was in there.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 9:25 pm
      • Yes, please for the sake of the family and friends, remove the video. I applaud the efforts of the individual who tried to save Dr. Barry and this has to have been a traumatic event for him as well. Rest well dear Barry. I have some rocks for you.

Thursday, 12 January 2017, 6:24 pm
    • How could you say such a thing like that on this page a good man lost his life and that’s all you have to say I will pray for you

Thursday, 12 January 2017, 10:48 pm
    • Hey crazy? b why were not at that house on fire throwing sand ect lmbo ? chasing turtles again ?

Friday, 13 January 2017, 3:36 pm
    • Odds are the lady heard the crash and then loaded up the kids to investigate. You don’t know what happened next as she may have tried to help. You also have to take in the consideration that she has kids that don’t need to see certain things and concern for their safety. If my son at 10 saw me pulling a person out of a burning car he would jump in to help. I wouldn’t want him at that risk. I think we all would do or try to do the best we could in this kind of situation.

Saturday, 14 January 2017, 11:17 pm
  • Prayers for the family and friends of this wonderful man, Dr. Barry Weber. May he rest in peace in the arms of our Lord.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:05 pm
  • Rest In Peace Barry Weber You will forever be loved and missed…

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 12:31 pm
  • To me that is what a hero is really all about. They put themselves in danger to help some one else but no one really knows who it is. Hero’s and charitable people do not do it for the recognition but do it out of what is in their heart.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 11:51 am
    • Very true Edjar.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 11:59 am
    • He was one of my Best friends for over 20 years. I am in shock and deeply saddened to see this. I love you Barry…so much. Rest in peace now and I will never forget you!!

Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 1:48 pm