Father of Missing Child Says Dawn Center Helped Ex-Wife Hide Daughter During Search, Planned Escape to Canada

HERNANDO – Last week, RNRF reported that Pasco County Detectives were searching for 9-year-old Hailey Puyana, after the biological mother took Hailey from her father, who has primary custody, and disappeared for nearly 10 days. (CLICK HERE FOR ORIGINAL ARTICLE)

Despite well-founded suspicions by Hailey’s father, Aaron Puyana, that his ex-wife, Kristin Hooper was planning to flee the country, officials never issued an Amber Alert.

After a week with without having any contact with Hailey or her mother, Pasco County Officials finally asked for the media’s assistance in helping locate the missing child; however, they made no mention of the Hooper’s plans to take Hailey out of the country.

Last Thursday RNRF received an anonymous tip that may have helped lead detectives to the child’s whereabouts inside Dawn Center, a Hernando County based domestic violence shelter.

Aaron told RNRF during a phone interview on Sunday that detectives located his daughter at the facility and returned her back to his care and custody.

Aaron says his daughter “Felt like a prisoner” and was “traumatized” by the ordeal, and that Hooper refused to allow Hailey to call him. According to Aaron, Hailey told him “My mother told me we were going out for ice cream and tricked me.” That was on February 7th, when Hooper took Hailey from Aaron’s Trinity home and never returned.

Aaron tells RNRF that his daughter lived in filth and that she saw roaches running around inside the facility. He also says that her beloved Persian cat “Max” is still at the facility and being neglected.
Aaron says Hooper, a Canadian citizen, was planning to kidnap his daughter and leave for Canada within a few days. If not for Detectives locating his daughter on Thursday, Aaron believes he might not have seen his daughter again.

Aaron claims he spoke to the FBI, who told him that if she had gone through with her plan to leave the country, she would have faced federal kidnapping charges and extradited back the to the United States.

Aaron believes Dawn Center helped Hooper hide from authorities and is partially responsible for the trauma Hailey suffered. “I can’t even allow my daughter to go back to school out of fear that her mother might take her again,” says Aaron.” For now, Aaron is bringing his daughter’s school work home so that she doesn’t get too far behind.

Aaron was granted custody of Hailey in 2011, due to Hooper’s alleged substance abuse issues. After two years of rehabilitation in Canada, Hooper returned to the U.S. and moved back in with Aaron in 2015, in what he says was an attempt to reconcile. Despite their efforts, Aaron says Hooper may once again be abusing prescription drugs. On one occasion he even found loose hydrocodone pills in the bottom of her purse, says Aaron.

In the weeks leading up to Hailey’s disappearance, Aaron discovered text messages between Hooper and other individuals, detailing her plans to leave the country. In one message Hooper states, “I’m going to taunt him to come at me,” in what Aaron believes was a plot to see if he would react violently, so that she could claim domestic abuse.

Aaron says Hooper cheated on him all the time and even used his car to visit men. When Aaron decided enough was enough, he began dating someone and stopped letting Hooper use his car. But Aaron says he wasn’t going to just kick Hailey’s mother to the street; instead, he offered to help get her own apartment, and even buy her a used car. But his generosity would come too late because Hooper took Hailey soon after presenting his offer.

Aaron believes Hooper may even be jeopardizing her immigration status by not carrying her Green Card, which he says is required by law.

At this point there are no planned court hearings and no formal accusations of domestic abuse, according to Aaron.

Aaron wanted to pass a personal message along to the person who contacted RNRF and helped locate his daughter. “On behalf of my daughter, thank you for stepping up and having the integrity to do the right thing in helping me bring my little girl home,” says Aaron.

A representative of Dawn Center could not be reached for comment.

It should be noted that Dawn Center has been the center of controversy for several years. Board members and administrators have refused to comment on issues raised by former occupants and neighbors who claim drug abuse, violence, and other criminal behavior occur in and around the facility on a regular basis.

Follow these links for related articles and videos:

Sokolowski’s Dawn Center, House of Horrors? Women Speak Out…

Shelter or Sham, Domestic Violence Nightmare – RNRF Exclusive Report (Video)

dc-1 puyana-d

Comments
  • TRUTH YOU ARE AN IDIOT

Wednesday, 22 February 2017, 7:34 pm
  • Just a few years ago they got a donation for 25k which they could have used for day care or transportation but where did that money go? I asked the director while I was staying there what did they do with the money and then she claimed they never got a $25k donation. Then when I pointed out that it said they did ON THEIR SITE she didn’t have anything to say about it. I bet the directors and workers all pocketed it. They give you somewhere to stay for 2 months and then they boot you out. When I was there there was a girl who was a major drug addict and kept having her friends at the gate so they could trade off drugs. She caused more than one problem for staff but yet they allowed her to stay for months and months. Where is the justice? They should have kicked her out the first time she became a problem. There is so many issues with that place I could freaking write you a story, Tom.

Wednesday, 22 February 2017, 11:50 am
  • thank you tom for reporting. I honestly feel for the main victims in these situations.. the kids.

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 11:57 pm
  • You’ve heard from me before and will continue to every time you bash the Dawn Center. I am alive, educated, and living a much happier life due to the help of the Dawn Center. No, they do not provide much transportation or child care, but provide you a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in, clothing, food, and access to resources that may be able to help you. You still need to do the work of life. I cannot speak to this case, but if a woman shows up with a child, it is expected that the child is protected as well until proven differently by Law Enforcement. They are not detectives and due to their work, there is an expectation of privacy. When I was there, one woman was told she had to leave due to having alcohol in the house and another for coming back onto the compound drunk. They do not tolerate such behavior. Pets also are not allowed so I doubt the cat story as they cannot risk the possibility of allergies in other residents. I will forever support and defend the place that helped me rebuild a broken life for myself and my daughter.

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 10:11 pm
  • That place needs to be burned to the ground.

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 6:11 pm
  • I work in a medical capacity in Hernando county where i come in frequent contact with Dawn center inhabitants. In my experience Dawn’s acronym should be Drugged/Drunk And Withdrawing Neurotics. I have lost track of the overdoses I have treated from there. If we stuck birth control in with the percocet it might stop the next generation of drains on society from draining the system of resources so people with real issues can get help.

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 5:42 pm
  • I know first hand there are many donations given to the Dawn center, and cash as well. Who is monitoring this? I think it may have started out being a great idea about 20 years ago, but now they seem to have lost their focus

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 3:52 pm
  • The dawn center is a prime example of a bunch of idiots ruining the system for those in need!! My heart goes out to the women who really need this, and have to be subjected to the element of life that also resides there!

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 3:23 pm
  • Dawn center was only supposed to be there for domestic violence.and rape victims. NOT DRUG USERS! SOMEONE NEED TO QET FIRED!

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 12:32 pm
  • Why does the Dawn Center still exist, Tom?

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 12:10 pm
  • Poor vet, your babbling includes the millions of children god doesn’t care about? Your belief that the world is flat doesn’t make it so.

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 11:15 am
  • The woman needs to be arrested, and the State needs to look into the Center’s operation.
    If the allegation is true that most of the centers occupants are drug dependant, it must be a hell-hole!

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 11:12 am
  • What’s really amazing is that people still believe all the bull **** that you post on this sad excuse for a news page. Where the **** are your journalism credentials???

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 10:18 am
  • I’m not surprised. I was issued a TPO as VICTIM from my partner (woman). While there was no assistance for me as a man, (Most DV centers do not provide assistance for men) the woman, no only was given shelter in a DV center (Remember there was a Protective Order for DV against her), for her testimony in court, they assisted her to break the TPO, enter my house and take all valuables, disconnect the oxygen pumps from the fish tank killing all the fishes. NO consequences whatsoever. And a lawyer from their center, assisted her for free in a contempt to court case for the violation. Funny enough I did not get a lawyer assigned as a victim, not to defend myself of all the false accusations that came afterwards.

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 9:43 am
    • You are correct, there is a ton of help for women. Men are left out. We are never considered victims. What about FATHERS LIVES MATTER?

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 4:51 pm
  • Hey uncle thumbs, what the hell did you just say? You just babbled BS. We believe in God so we can feel comfort from his presence. Yea, maybe the return of this beautiful child was due to a human it is stemmed from that human feeling the presence of God and that persons belief in God to do the right thing. You obviously do not believe.

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 8:49 am
    • I don’t maintain beliefs in things based on bad evidence . You people believe this crap because you’ve all been indoctrinated into it , as well as your kin folk in the past , nothing experiential,……….and no one knows what else to do. “I believe in a personal God” is cliche that all of you use to assimilate with one another. Ain’t none of you ever had a true spiritual experience.

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 9:16 am
      • I bet you have alot of porcelain dolls and cats huh?

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 3:54 pm
  • Uncle Thumb! You Are a Idiot! I’m Sure That it Was Just a Figure Of Speech!!!!!

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 6:36 am
  • The Dawn Center teaches their clients to lie and that has been proven in court my ex took my kids and ran to the dawn Center claiming domestic abuse I was not arrested they refused then they had came out in court Dawn Center told her to hit herself in the face with a cell phone and cause a bruise which showed up 36 hours later I’ve got my kids and she went to drug rehab Dawn Center needs to be shut the f*** down

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 6:30 am
  • Its funny how things are different for fathers in custody cases. If Aaron took his daughter from the mother i bet an immediate bolo would be issued and treated a little more serious. How could this woman not be in jail for what she did? Now this little girl and her father have to be paranoid she doesnt get kidnapped again.

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 5:43 am
  • Some folks need to go to jail on this one

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 4:48 am
  • Uncle Thumb your an idiot! Your statement is way out there. Additionally, the Dawn center probably didn’t know the entire story and I’m sure there are some woman they have helped. So lets not ruin the Dawn center over 1 lady lying to them. If it wasn’t for the Dawn Center a lot of woman and children would probably be dead right now. People use common sense on here!!

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 12:59 am
  • I’ve been to the Dawn Center and they don’t really help you with ANYTHING. There is barely any transportation. No day care but they expect you to work?? Last time I was there 95% of the people were drug users and always starting fights. I thought it was supposed to be a DOMESTIC VIOLENCE shelter. Not a f*cking rehab!! They seriously need a huge change to happen there. It’s pretty much just some staff giving you info off of 211. The only way you get any kind of help is if you have a police report. It’s like a den of wolves in there with the women too. They are always stealing stuff right out of your room or your food out of the fridge. And staff just don’t give a crap. They show up to get their money and that’s it.

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 12:12 am
  • The Dawn Center should be charged with hiding the child and why did PCSO hold the amber alert?

Monday, 20 February 2017, 8:25 pm
  • My brother had the same problem with them many years ago. He had custody, his ex lied and said he hit her and they hid her and his daughter at the time. Police had to go and get his daughter.

Monday, 20 February 2017, 8:09 pm
  • What did God have to do with ANY of this? For that matter, what God is being invoked ? Poseidon , Zeus , Thor , Xibalba , Popol Vuh ……..or is it the Abrahamic God of the Jews.? Throughout the human discourse , man has created for himself countless gods and goddesses as being representative of how the universe works and to explain that which is not well understood. Ultimately, it was a network of human beings that deserve the credit of this little girl being safe………not a deity.

Monday, 20 February 2017, 7:58 pm
    • Are u sure you’re not on drugs? Lol

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 3:48 pm
    • You are an a**

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 4:18 pm
    • God gave you 2 thumbs!

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 5:37 pm
  • what an explosive story! is anyone at dawn center going to be held accountable?

Monday, 20 February 2017, 7:49 pm
    • That entire place should be shut down dissolved and anyone involved with this paticular account should be charged with kidnapping false imprisonment. Aiding and abetting a fugitive and anything else!

Tuesday, 21 February 2017, 5:36 pm
  • THANK GOD SHE’S SAFE.

Monday, 20 February 2017, 7:41 pm
  • THANK GOD SHE IS BACK HOME AND SAFE.

Monday, 20 February 2017, 7:15 pm
  • go get het cat!

Monday, 20 February 2017, 7:00 pm
    • I’ll get her cat for her, who’s with me!!

Saturday, 25 February 2017, 8:33 pm