Dog Dies, One Clings to Life, After Woman Leaves Generator Running Inside Her Garage
MASARYKTOWN – Fire Officials have constantly warned residents about the dangers of running a generator inside your home or garage, but sadly, a woman on Lincoln Ave failed to heed those warnings and it cost the life of at least one of her two dogs.
Around 11:00 a.m. this morning Fire Rescue responded to 196 Lincoln Ave, after neighbors called to report a generator running inside the garage. Witnesses told RNRF that several neighbors banged on all the windows and doors, fearing that someone may have succumbed to the carbon monoxide fumes. Eventually, firefighters arrived on scene and forced entry, where they found one deceased dog and another clinging to life.
Linette Guzman provided the image below of a firefighter attempting to save one of the dogs but it’s not known if it has survived.
The owner was not home at the time of the incident but neighbors say she had been running the generator inside her garage for days.
Witnesses we spoke say they have no sympathy for the dog’s owner because she should have known the fumes would have killed her animals.
Division Chief Alex Lopez tells RNRF that it can only take a few minutes for dangerous levels of Carbon monoxide to fill a residence and potentially kill a human or animal.
We were unable to locate the dog’s owner for comment but officials say she could face civil or criminal penalties for her actions.
This is the second incident this week involving residents using a generator inside their home. On Monday, a home on Drysdale St. in Spring Hill was destroyed, after a generator caught fire inside the garage. There were no injuries as a result of the fire but the home is a total loss.
We will bring more on this story as it develops.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ™2013 – 2017 RNRF Incorporated.