Real News Real Fast –  Nobody Gets There Faster!

Elderly Woman Calls 911 Before Being Overcome by Carbon Monoxide, Near Deadly Levels Registered Inside Home

BROOKSVILLE – The dangers of running generators inside a home or garage has already proven to be a deadly decision for those still living without power, but even after taking all the right precautions, an elderly couple nearly lost their lives after being exposed to dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide on Friday. 

According to officials, Brooksville and Hernando County Fire Rescue responded to a residence on Paul Drive, after a woman called 911 to report that she and her husband were feeling ill. While en route, the woman told the 911 operator that they were running a generator outside their home in a breezeway. Upon arrival, paramedics discovered the couple displaying signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and transported them to a local hospital for treatment.

Sources say levels inside the home when Fire Rescue arrived on scene were at 500ppm (parts per million). Experts say at 400ppm, a healthy adult will suffer headaches within one hour of exposure. At 800 ppm, healthy adults will suffer from nausea, dizziness, and even convulsions within 45 minutes of exposure. Anything over 800ppm will result in death after one hour of exposure.

On Wednesday, two dogs were exposed to high-levels of carbon monoxide at a home on Lincoln Ave. Sadly, one of the dogs did not survive. The condition of the other dog is unknown at this time (Original Story).

Chief Alex Lopez of Hernando County Fire Rescue says, “Fortunately, this situation did not end in tragedy, but could have easily had a worse outcome. Always read and follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions before.”

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ™2013 – 2017 RNRF Incorporated.

.

Share With:
Rate This Article
Comments
  • I’m glad they are okay, but if you are ever going to run a generator buy a CO detector to put inside your home as well. They are $20 and can save your life!!! People
    Have smoke detectors, but never think of one for CO levels. At least they knew to run it outside as I will never understand why in the world some people would run one inside their home? Would they run their car inside their home or garage as well? Common sense people.

    Monday, 18 September 2017, 12:13 pm
  • Use common sense.

    Sunday, 17 September 2017, 3:54 pm
    • They are elderly for God’s sake. They did NOT HAVE IN THEIR GARAGE OR HOUSE. They did what they should have. HOW DID THEY NOT USE COMMON SENSE?????? My prayers for their recovery. Such a sad situation – no one could help them or like me they didn’t want to be a burden on anyone. Brad, you need to use COMMON SENSE!! REMEMBER THIS WHEN YOU ARE ELDERLY AND LET US KNOW HOW SMART YOU ARE AND HOW MUCH COMMON SENSE YOU FEEL YOU HAVE!!!! HAVE SOME EMPATHY FOR THESE FOLKS. THEY COULD HAVE BEEN YOUR PARENTS IR GRANDPARENTS.

      Monday, 18 September 2017, 12:44 pm
  • Prayers coming for this couple! This is very sad.

    Sunday, 17 September 2017, 7:03 am

Leave a Reply

})(jQuery)