Republic Customers to Get New Trash Cans for Automated System, Rates Set to Increase

HERNANDO – Like it or not, the Board of County Commissioners voted unanimously to extend a contract with Republic Waste Management Services for another seven years. And with that extension comes a rate hike but it also brings an automated pickup system that will do away with unsightly trash piles lining the roadways.

The vote came during last Tuesday’s BOCC meeting, where Republic Services Representative Seth Weightman presented details of the new service and announced a rate increase. Weightman explains that all Republic customers will receive a new 95-gallon cart that will be picked up by either a single or double occupant automated garbage truck. A single driver truck with an automated lift will service suburban neighborhoods would and a two-man truck will service rural areas. Weightman proposes that after 90 days, customers could request a smaller 65-gallon cart or purchase additional carts.

Republic currently services 59,000 Hernando County residents, at an average rate of about $9.00 per month. When the new system goes into effect sometime next year, customers will see about a $4.00 increase to their monthly bill.Customer service issues seemed to outweigh citizen complaints over the rate increase. Ridge Manor Property Owner Association President, Lynn Gruber-White says residents have been called “liars” and told that “service is optional” by Republic Customer service reps. Gruber-White spoke directly to Commissioner Steve Champion when she said there have been over 250 complaints per month and “You said performance matters.” Champion replied to Gruber-White’s comments, stating, “At 250 complaints – if that’s correct – that’s phenomenal at .003 % of 81,000 customers per month (Total district).”

Another issue Commissioner John Allocco asked Republic to ensure is a new reverse calling system that would notify customers of pickup cancelations. Weightman reassured the Board that a reverse call system would be implemented and customer service would also improve.

Comments
  • Go back and see what Republic and the commissioner promised us. Billing quickly changed from Republic to Hernando county(any savings?).

Wednesday, 2 August 2017, 7:15 pm
  • I have no issue in paying a little more IF the service is actually provided. Republic is the worst in terms of not picking up trash! We live in Forest Oaks and went almost two weeks on our street with NO pick up what so ever! Called Republic and nothing was done about it until I made a complaint to the county and then all of a sudden, OMG, we made a mistake and will have someone out later today, blah, blah, blah. Needless to say they did NOT come that day, nor the next. Moved in here in 2012 and requested a recycle bin. Requested it again in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016. Finally the woman at Republic tells us the only way we are going to get one is if we drive to the office in Shady Hills and get one ourselves. Excuse me but are we, and I mean all of us collectively, paying you for this service? Which includes recycling?

I welcome the automated system and think it is long overdue. Now if we can just make sure that Republic keeps their end of the deal we will be ok. Tom, we will be asking you for help if they drop the ball and in helping keep them on their toes.

Wednesday, 2 August 2017, 5:42 pm
  • I have never had a problem with the trash pickup with this company…they arrive around 6am for the pickup on my street. I am wondering how the yard waste is going to work with the new system. Are we supposed to use the new garbage cans for yard waste also? There is not enough information in this article to answer many of the taxpayers questions.

I don’t like the idea of hauling a a 95 gallon container out to the curb and then storing it somewhere as I usually only have one bag of garbage as do most of my neighbors. Even a 65 gallon container (mentioned in the article) is a bit large.

If you call Republic they will bring recycle bins to your home for your use. It will take about 10 days for them to deliver the containers to you. I am the only one on my block that recycles.

Wednesday, 2 August 2017, 3:25 pm
  • I have to agree with a lot of the posters here this is ridicules, and it should have been brought for a vote of the people, and it is time to vote out every current commissioner in hernando as well as the Sheriff.

Wednesday, 2 August 2017, 3:12 pm
    • Get rid of the commissioners-Keep our Sheriff

Wednesday, 2 August 2017, 6:29 pm
  • I nor anyone likes increases but (EVERYTHING IN LIFE) increases every day, but this is fact and said by many in your comments, esp. you ted, well said, my point is for sure a whole mess of citizens in this county put there trash out like a freaking total moron! and yes iv’e lived right next door to it where every day my ( good neighbor and i, whoever home 1st ) began to pick up the street, no common sense how to contain trash! neat,air tight,contained, hell wan’t no critters? simple stuff, #1 put well bagged sealed trash bags in can, #2 before putting on lid, spray a little medium bleach and water on inside perimeters of can, even light mist the top of bags, close lid and WA-LA! no critters will bother it!!

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 5:19 pm
  • I wonder . . .
    These containers are huge. Perhaps some people can gather their trash together and share service. Of course, I’m being impractical on this suggestion. What is, if any, our recourse on this?

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 3:59 pm
  • I live in the area of Mariner Blvd and Elgin Blvd. I don’t have too many issues with my trash pickup except that the trucks seem to come at all different hours at every different pick up day. I use the big blacks trash bags and I used to put the bags out the first thing in the morning on the right trash pickup day. No problem, except when they do not pickup the day that they were supposed to I have to drag my trash bags back into my garage because if I leave them out the coons, the vultures and the coyotes have a field day and tear open all of my trash bags. The other thing that angers me is that if is it a Holiday and there is no trash pickup that’s fine…but, on the next scheduled pick up day, they don’t show at all so now you have missed two total trash pick up days. Some of my neighbors really don’t care what their neighborhoods look like so no matter whether they miss a day or two these neighbors just throw everything and anything on piles in front of their homes. People can also participate in making their neighborhoods look just a little bit better, but they just do not care. I also have neighbors who leave their trash cans right out in front of their homes, never bringing them back near their house and when they carry trash out they simply walk to the front of their houses and throw it right in the trash cans or if the cans are filled they throw it right on the ground next to the trash cans. I don’t mind the rate that I pay for trash pickup but I just hope that homeowners take a little bit more responsibility as to how they handle their trash. Just as a side not…I have a friend that lives in Illinois. They are only allowed to put out two trash bags per trash pick up days. If they have more trash than that, they have to go to City Hall and BUY TRASH STICKERS which cost fifty or seventy five cents each, otherwise they will not take more the the allowed two bags. The only way they will take them if they have that sticker on the bag which shows that they are paying for anything more than the two bag limit. I do have to say this though…..There are times when I put out quite a bit of trash and never, ever, have they left any of it there no matter how many bags I put out. Calm down folks…it could be worse!

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 3:52 pm
  • Ted is either a Republic employee or is receiving kickbacks as well as the commissioners.

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 3:21 pm
    • Sorry – I’m a retired Police Officer and have no connections to Republic. My comment was based on my experience as a customer and my observations of how other customers who inconsiderately set out overflowing containers, and the working conditions the Republic workers have to endure. I also stand by my solution for the complainers – stop paying for what you think is ‘bad service, too large a container or, increases in cost and take the garbage to the dump yourself. No one is forcing you to pay for this.

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 5:03 pm
      • It’s not a choice if you live in one of the mandatory pick up areas, Right now it’s attached to your water bill and in the future from what I’m hearing it’s going to change to your property tax. I think it’s a great move and looking forward to the improved service but it is being forced upon the public.

Wednesday, 2 August 2017, 7:17 am
  • the trash all over is caused by them not showing up on time, or even, at all! does this mean they will show up on time???? take the cost increase out of the 1/2% county tax!!!

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 10:18 am
    • Well said and very true.

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 3:00 pm
  • Embrace the change and look at the positive side.
    1. All trash cans will have lids attached. No more crows and critters spreading trash around the neighborhood .
    2. Weekly pickup would be great. Environmentally friendly less gas usage.
    3. Heavy enough cans they won’t blow into the streets.
    4. Safer working conditions for the employees. No more riding on the back of the trucks with all the crazy drivers around these parts. Easier on the backs of employees.
    5. Cans will be fully emptied.
    6. Trash cans will be placed up right in the drive.
    7. Trash will not be left in can because the can is to heavy.
    8. If can wears out it is replaced free of charge.

Old trash can usage ideas…

1. Drill holes in it and turn into a compost bin.
    2.Store lawn tools.
    3. Make a rain barrel.
    4. Donate to a park….
    5. Cut down and make a rolling flower pot.
    6. Store pool supplies.

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 9:04 am
    • I love twice a week pick ups.

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 3:10 pm
  • Wow, the county just agreed to let them charge more money to provide less jobs and service. Why isn’t this county Government looking out for the residents? Why don’t they fix things that they have been paid insurance money to fix like the storm damage to Pine Island and Bayport? Do they want this county to be a slum? Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence to believe they will respond and rebuilt if we ever get a real storm here.

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 12:41 am
  • Tom did they say when this is going to go into effect

Monday, 31 July 2017, 11:01 pm
  • What is wrong with politicians? Is everything about making citizens miserable with increased fees, and less than stellar services?

Monday, 31 July 2017, 10:42 pm
  • I have to call republic once a month at least because they don’t pick up our garbage cans…they complain about us having larger cans, make us downsize, and now want us to pay more for a 93 gallon can that I can’t have now? My garbage bill used to be 18 every 3 months when it was waste management…now I pay $8 a month for Republic and they are always missing garbage pickup and are messy also. SMH…their garbage trucks already have the automated lifter…they just don’t use it. so we pay more and less people are on the truck picking up our cans…how does that make any sense?

Monday, 31 July 2017, 10:02 pm
    • I used to have to call republic at least once a week because they were constantly skipping me! I told them that they owe ME, since I was paying for services NOT rendered!
      This pi$$es me off that the county dictates who my service providers are!!!!

Monday, 31 July 2017, 10:41 pm
      • Republic constantly throws mine & neighbors trash cans in the road. They completely destroyed 2 of my cans when they did pickups,. And 2 of my trash can lids are STILL MISSING!

Republic OWES ME FOR DESTROYING 2 OF MY 3 TRASH CANS!!

EVERY SINGLE TIME I CALLED TO COMPLAIN & ASKED THEM TO CREDIT ME FOR ALL OF THE DAYS THAT THEY SKIPPED PICKING UP MY TRASH, THEY TOLD ME “WE DON’T CREDIT ACCOUNTS”!!

I voted for Champion and Allocco last year, thinking they would serve us better than the others. I will vote against every single BOCC MEMBER AT THE NEXT ELECTION!!!

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 2:50 pm
  • Our service is great. These guys do a hell of a job in all kinds of weather (95 degree weather, summer downpours) all kinds of conditions (inconsiderate idiots who put out uncontained garbage, loose dogs and other animals) not to mention insect filled and rodent infested garbage. Just about every one on this sight who complains about a rate increase always looked forward to a pay increase from their employer. What makes Republic employees different? Consider what it would be like to do THEIR job for a day – then give them a break and stop complaining. If you don’t want to store or, walk around a GREAT BIG PAIL on your walker or pay a modest increase for service – – CANCEL YOUR SERVICE AND TAKE YOUR GARBAGE TO THE DUMP YOURSELF. Then tell us all how long that lasted.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 8:27 pm
  • Well they finally got around to picking up the garbage and just like last week they dropped garbage on my driveway and left it, plus there was still garbage left in the can.But hey lets just give them a raise! This rate hike is scandalous.
    Years ago I was a garbage man and we would have been written up for such negligence and fired if it happened again.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 7:48 pm
  • Someone is getting paid off

Monday, 31 July 2017, 7:39 pm
  • Their service is terrible.Send an email about a failed pickup and all you get is an automated reply, never a follow up or explanation

Monday, 31 July 2017, 7:32 pm
  • What a bunch of Whiners. Our service is great. These guys do a hell of a job in all kinds of weather (95 degree weather, summer downpours) all kinds of conditions (inconsiderate idiots who put out uncontained garbage, loose dogs and other animals) not to mention insect filled and rodent infested garbage. Just about every one on this sight who complains about a rate increase always looked forward to a pay increase from their employer. What makes Republic employees different? Consider what it would be like to do THEIR job for a day – then give them a break and stop complaining. If you don’t want to store or, walk around a GREAT BIG PAIL on your walker or pay a modest increase for service – – CANCEL YOUR SERVICE AND TAKE YOUR GARBAGE TO THE DUMP YOURSELF. Then tell us all how long that lasted.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 7:26 pm
  • I barely fill a 20 gallon trashcan in a week and now I’m forced to have this giant can that I will never fill and pay more? They charge $30 or so just to use the can in Pasco. Absolutely ridiculous. I’d just use a trailer and haul my trash to the junkyard. Ridiculous. If anything, it should be a choice from residents.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 7:21 pm

Monday, 31 July 2017, 7:13 pm
  • Sadly our Hernando Government Commissioner’s don’t care about the voters. Remember this when elections come. The commissioner s are a joke just like republic .

Monday, 31 July 2017, 6:57 pm

Monday, 31 July 2017, 6:53 pm
  • Are you kidding. I barely use my regular trash can, and I want a monster can in my garage? Ridiculous.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 6:46 pm
  • Last week the garbage men dropped garbage all over my driveway and never bothered to pick it up and now this week no service has showed up all day. But hey let’s raise the rates!! My service is horrible and now I have to pay more for crappy service, I just don’t get it. When do we get to vote again for County Commissioners because we need some new Officials!

Monday, 31 July 2017, 6:31 pm
  • Are these trash cans easily transported to the curb?

Monday, 31 July 2017, 6:22 pm
  • Pick and choose whose posts you put on here Tom?? No dirty words, no threats , stopped posting a long time ago anyway , so don’t care. I will just get my news from other sources. Just in case you do Post this one. I wish I could take my votes back, Obviously the Commissioners that just went to Washington to meet with higher ups on our dime must have met with Nancy ( facelift) Pelosi, she knows everything ya know. Btw my post was put on long before others. Way to go commisioners, for all the physically handicapped this will be a nightmare. 7 yr contract, these doofus’s will never get my vote again.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 6:05 pm
  • My pickup is tuesday(sometimes wednesday) and friday (sometimes saturday). I never know what day they will show up…..on centralia

Monday, 31 July 2017, 5:49 pm
  • so are we getting a new recycle trash can too? oh and republic services suck…always have to call bc they”miss” pick ups…im already paying for crappy service now I have to pay more for the same crappy service…#iminthewrongjob

Monday, 31 July 2017, 5:23 pm
  • Yes, well, try living in Pasco where the water bill is twice as much or more as Hernando, and that does not include trash. You have to pay that separate. There were three or four trash companies, but all were about $30 a month. $13 a month is still cheap.

I do agree though that I now have to have this bulky thing somewhere hanging around.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 5:18 pm
    • Dear M , Republic sucks it may be cheap but u get cheap service. On my street they would pick up trash on south side of st. And not north side they’re blind. That happened 6 times. Asked for supervisor visit several times no reply. Called Hernando Cty. Who the bill goes to we’re checking on it. Standard reply. Their trucks would pass w 2 trucks and no one on my side of street would be picked up. Sounds like we need to get rid of Board of County Commissioners, they are useless. Ben here for 30 yrs.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 7:03 pm
  • I will not vote for who voted for this… They are brainless to this agreement thinking it is a good deal.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 5:14 pm
  • Question….what do people who use walkers to get around get these monstrous cans to the street? It is tough enough for them, now….now, these?

Monday, 31 July 2017, 4:21 pm
  • Trash pickup is a bargain here compared to rates in Michigan. Problem being – as I write this, my garbage in still sitting on the street @4pm. Sometimes they come @ 6am so that makes it necessary to put it out the night before. Just wish they would keep the route more consistent. Don’t know how they plan to purchase new trucks when they can’t keep the ones they have running.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 4:18 pm
  • Republic sucks.they do what ever they want customer ser ice is a joke.open the market give us a choice of who to use republic or waste management it can still be mandatory but let them compete.that would be the right thing to do so bocc wont let that happen.id be willing bet r they getting kick backs from republic

Monday, 31 July 2017, 4:12 pm
  • Hernando county residents voted down automated pickup several years ago! So much for our voices being counted!

Monday, 31 July 2017, 3:49 pm
  • More pure crap from warped county commissioners with there hands in the pockets of vendors. Wake up voters, get rid of the crap that governs us, losers.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 3:36 pm
  • I have never had a problem with Republic Trash I think they great I’m willing to pay an increase as long as they’re willing to keep up there and he’s dealing continue to good service and also provide the trash bin sounds like a winner to me for the people that don’t like it put you back in trash in your trunk and take him to the dump slugga car up and go where all the Flies are

Monday, 31 July 2017, 3:35 pm
  • How about all the people that don’t get a second pickup because they land on a holiday.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 3:35 pm
  • First this article states that Republic serves 59,000 residents. Then, Mr. Champion uses a figure of 81,000 residents. Which is correct? What about recycling? Including my own, I have seen less than 5 other homes using recycling bins. Republic will provide bins and service IF you call and ask. But no one (are you listening Commissioners) pushes Republic to provide this service which is supposedly included in our monthly bills. I hope the dump is not filling up with items which could be recycled. Finally if this is a seven year contract, are we to assume that the service rate is locked in for 7 years? I’m betting that there is a clause which allows them to raise their rates. Let’s have some answers.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 3:34 pm
  • More jobs lost for 2nd man on truck. I never had problem with them. Now we will have more limits on how much trash we can only put out 1 can and what about yard trash????

Monday, 31 July 2017, 3:20 pm
  • Residential Trash service is a bagain. I had 2 sete of apartments noe as deemed residentla and gets teh residential rate ( $24.54 every 3 months) – the other is considered commercial and it is $106.80 / month for 4 cans a week. It was only $52 back in 2013.

Someone explain that disrepancy — it’s the sme amount of trash pickup and ther is no recycling pickup on the commerical unts. Less service at 12 times the price!

Monday, 31 July 2017, 3:12 pm
  • I have never had a problem with Republic Trash comp picked up my garbage and as far as I’m concern I’ll be more than happy to pay the increased I’m getting a nice big garbage pail I can put all my trash in one Garbage Pail and roll it to the curb I’m looking forward to it

Monday, 31 July 2017, 3:06 pm
    • Where can you store such a large garbage can?

Monday, 31 July 2017, 4:00 pm
      • The same place you currently store your three garbage cans that this one can will replace.

Tuesday, 1 August 2017, 10:00 am
  • What about the recycle? They going to start taking glass bottles, a new bin for it was well rather than the little ones and boxes sitting everywhere, talk about unsightly! Want to clean up the streets you have to do both, no picking and choosing.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 2:44 pm
  • We are rural northern Hernando County with nasty lime rock roads. We have never had any issues with Republic. As bad as our roads are they never miss a pick up… And we only have about 6 houses down a 2 block stretch which dead ends and they have to turn around on a very narrow road. All of us here on Charlton Drive are very happy. With stray dogs and raccoons etc we never have issues with trash on the roads… We may be country but we use covered garbage cans… !!!!!

Monday, 31 July 2017, 2:43 pm
  • There is no representative Government in Hernando County. Instead of raising the rates 50% as Republic is doing here. Why not increase the Trash fee 100% and split the extra profit w/ the County Commissioners. Of course the Taxpayers get No Additional Services except the higher fees. Maybe the taxpayers should force Republic to buy back every trash can residents currently have at a fee of $50 each for every can in the household. If Republic runs short on cash for the buyback the Hernando County Commissioners can pay the difference. See how seamless that is……

Monday, 31 July 2017, 2:30 pm
  • I’ve never had a problem with them. $13 a month to haul away my trash twice a week is cheap.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 2:15 pm
    • Look for the trash to be picked up once a week after they get this going. Typical for garbage service to raise rates then cut back on the pick up dates.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 6:41 pm
  • Yep service sucks. Are they gonna throw this NEW CONTAINERS IN THE STREET, LIKE THEY DO THE GARAGECANS? Customer service= what customer service. One person I called to get info on bulk pickup said she was in Indiana, way to outsource much needed jobs in Hernando County. With their new system, have them put out info on bulk puckup, as whoever u get gives u a different answer. They are RUDE, I don’t think any amount of money will cure that. And that’s my 4.00 worth!

Monday, 31 July 2017, 2:09 pm
  • Wow!!! Like a 45% increase ?? for what, better service or make Republic more money??? Not hard to figure out. How many new jobs?? How many lay offs?? And we have the option of “Buying” more carts?? Such a deal.

Monday, 31 July 2017, 1:54 pm
    • Just how much are they going to charge for extra carts and when a cart breaks how much will it cost us to replace?

Monday, 31 July 2017, 6:45 pm
  • They do a terrible job now and they’re extending thier contract and raising the bill , why can’t Hernando County get competent commissioner’s

Monday, 31 July 2017, 1:39 pm
  • Their service is horrible regular trash days and recycle day!

Monday, 31 July 2017, 1:20 pm
  • What a JOKE!

Monday, 31 July 2017, 1:19 pm
  • It chit always happen when we let the goobermint get involved! Mad as hell!

Monday, 31 July 2017, 1:14 pm
  • It chit always happen when we let the goobermint get involved! Mad as hell!

Monday, 31 July 2017, 1:12 pm