Suspected DUI Driver Suffers Possible Head Injury After Falling on Concrete Curb

UPDATE: 10/9/2017, 5:08 P.M. – According to officials, the suspect, 64-year-old Charles Douglas Hampton was treated and released at a local hospital and booked into the Hernando County Jail. Hampton is charged with Driving Under the Influence.

SPRING HILL – A suspected drunk driver is on his way to a local hospital this evening instead of the Hernando County Jail, after he fell and hit his head while waiting for deputies to perform a sobriety examination.

Around 7:00 p.m., Fire Rescue responded to the Speedway Convenience Store located at Mariner Blvd and Northcliffe Blvd, after reports that a vehicle crashed into a wooden bollard in front of the store. Witnesses say the older male driver was passed out behind the wheel, which paramedics later determined was not from injuries, but from the effects of being extremely intoxicated.

Law enforcement arrived on the scene and asked the suspected drunk driver to sit while they prepared for to perform a battery of field sobriety tests. After a few minutes of following the Deputy’s instructions, the suspect suddenly stood up and then fell straight back, hitting his head on the edge of the concrete curb. Fire Rescue returned to the scene and transported to the suspect to a local hospital for treatment.Damage to the vehicle and bollard is relatively minor.

The suspect, who has yet to be identified, is expected to face charge of Driving Under the Influence.

Comments
  • Canyouseemenow…Thank-you so much for your kind words. Your adding words to my blogging, no where did I ever state that I felt “sorry” for criminals. I do not feel sorry for a criminal. Use common sense for the one’s that should get a second chance and have no mercy for the one’s that should not. Take for example…the scumbag, at McDonalds.Shame on that Mother for leaving their child in the car with someone like that, at least it wasn’t at home where he had more time to do more damage. He…should never be allowed to see the light of day and that’s being really nice. Will he get off on a technicality ? Personally, I would just castrate him.I’m glad you didn’t kill anyone when you had a concussion too, but, if your still young enough there’s always that chance. Ha ha… the brain changes in time. And just think…you may have memory issues,dementia, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s or maybe even CTE to look forward too. How fun will that be.

Tuesday, 10 October 2017, 4:58 pm
  • Calm down Disgusted…down get your shackles all in a mess. Ridiculous, TINA, would you suggest that all rapists, pedophiles , thieves etc have had a brain injury as well???? NO, I’m not suggesting that “ALL” criminals have brain disease or brain damage, I’m merely suggesting that it is a very important aspect to look at when determining the “why” of a crime.Canadian investigators have found that the average pedophile suffered twice as many head injuries in his childhood than average.Rape may a be associated with organic brain damage and learning disability,[2] disorders associated with congenital or acquired brain damage. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the Boston Marathon bomber had suffered a “mild traumatic brain injury”. That word “mild” needs to be taken out of the label, for there is nothing mild about a brain injury. I realize it would take a lot of energy and extra work to have a secretary redesign that arrest report, and even more work to have an officer check the little box concussion (brain injury) on the arrest report. But, if it were your son or daughter that ended up dead and there were no answers to as the “why”, wouldn’t it make it more livable just knowing that the killer had brain disease or maybe a 3ml brain tumor ? It’s not an excuse , just an answer. You are really in denial as to the evil, stupid, and drunks in this world. I’m not at all in denial as to the evil that’s in this world. I believe in giving a person “one” chance to rehabilitate. After that send them to a deserted island and let them all kill each other.

Tuesday, 10 October 2017, 11:42 am
  • Wow Tina’s comments are a special kind of stupid! So now we must feel sorry for people who murder, drive drunk, etc due to possible head injuries?? Glad I never killed anyone when I had a concussion.

Tuesday, 10 October 2017, 10:54 am
  • Seriously…What do you believe makes a person evil?

Monday, 9 October 2017, 8:32 pm
  • Dead drunk…have you ever driven a vehicle after a drink? We all have, right? Then were just as guilty .Yes, he should be held accountable for driving drunk, do his time and pay the hefty consequences. Pray that he doesn’t take someone’s life the next time, or take someone’s life due to the consequences of the brain injury he probably sustained. Which brings me to another suggestion for law enforcement. Someone, has got to start tracking head injuries. It should be a common question on all arrest reports. “Have you ever sustained a concussion”? So when they go out and shoot up Vegas, bomb a marathon, or kill more innocent people in some bizarre plan, the question of “why” they did it would have some form of an explanation. I try my best not to give hugs anymore, especially to men. You should hear the rumors,I have to smile and laugh. But…I will always try and help someone that has sustained a head injury, understanding the brain can be a valuable asset to us all.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 3:42 pm
    • Not that the law enforcement doesn’t have enough to do, now keep track if people have ever hit their heads!!! Ridiculous, TINA, would you suggest that all rapists, pedophiles , thieves etc have had a brain injury as well????. You are really in denial as to the evil, stupid, and drunks in this wprld. Suppose you think the guys that took down the towers and killed ALL those people must have had head injuries as well. Don’t know who is more idiotic here, you or the or the ones doing the crimes.. Wouldn’t want to be you!

Monday, 9 October 2017, 7:58 pm
  • Ban all concrete curbs! You can see how dangerous they are. This one smacked this poor drunk guy in the back of the head for no reason.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 1:02 pm
    • Best comment

Monday, 9 October 2017, 5:33 pm
    • We are going to build a wall. And we are going to make the curbs pay for it. Believe me.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 10:22 pm
  • Lawsuit my ….He was drunk and did not obey the officers commands to sit down. He injured himself and the sheriff’s office is not liable. He is a common criminal and should be in jail and have his injuries treated in the infirmary.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 11:40 am
  • He can’t back it up. Cause he probably doesn’t even remember writing it. He was probably drunk when he wrote it.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 10:26 am
  • Sounds like a case for Morgan and Morgan.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 10:20 am
  • So, now the gentleman gets rewarded w/ a $10,000.00 bill for DUI and a strong possibility of brain damage too. There must be a better way for this sort of situation to handled… it sounds like Hyslop needs to come in and strong arm the HCSO so this guy can get the medical help he needs.

I am not saying the Sheriff’s department did anything wrong in this case. But, the gentleman’s life should not be over because of a DUI stop and there must be some kind of decency or humanity shown. I’m guessing the HCSO will run away as fast as they can from this case and be washing their hands of this case. And that is a fair solution and win, win with what is a very very bad outcome.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 9:23 am
    • it wasnt a dui stop he ran into the wood safety post

Monday, 9 October 2017, 12:32 pm
    • The driver has rights. The officer has to determine if the driver was impaired. This is accomplished by testing. The driver is responsible for his own actions. I did not see where the report said the driver was arrested. So it would appear the officer will not charge the driver with dui until released from the hospital. I’m sure the hospital’s doctors will provide an official report.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 2:34 pm
  • I see a law suit here, if that drunk he should have had deputy support

Monday, 9 October 2017, 4:43 am
  • I like to hear a response to that question.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 12:50 am
  • Pullin in for more beer I bet!

Sunday, 8 October 2017, 11:04 pm
  • That’s absolutely true….

Sunday, 8 October 2017, 10:51 pm
  • So..now he’s going to jail for DUI, and he probably has a traumatic brain injury. If his brain scan comes out normal, no brain bleeding he’ll be sent home, or in his case jail. In a couple days he’ll get out of jail, possibly already beginning to experience concussion symptoms. Being an alcoholic, he’ll go home and begin drinking again, not even really realizing his brain is probably going to be going through some wild changes in the next few hours, days, weeks. Now, he’s adding alcohol to a traumatic brain injury and he’ll be walking around, maybe driving around with a brain injury in Spring Hill. Chances of getting the help he needs is slim to none. I can’t help wondering if perhaps,Steve Paddock hit his head somewhere down his road of life.

Sunday, 8 October 2017, 9:48 pm
    • Tina, the guy was drunk and driving. He fell down as a result of being drunk. He hit his head as a result of falling from being drunk. This guy deserves jail and/or death as a result of driving drunk. If he thinks its ok to put other peiples lifes at risk, i bielve his life should be put at risk. Stop trying to save the world with hugs and hold this guy accountable for his actions. He did this and now he should live with the consequences.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 7:14 am
      • Wow, I can’t believe you think he deserves death because he was driving drunk.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 3:34 pm
        • Christopher, if this guy was willing to put other people’s lives at risk than his life should also be included. If we would only in force the laws and punishments already in place and not allow any “deals” for reduced sentences people would stop breaking the law. The reason laws get broken is people do not fear the punishment.
          So to answer your question, yes I think this guy deserves death versus having to live with a head trauma. I don’t want my tax dollars paying to keep him alive because he chose to do something stupid.

Tuesday, 10 October 2017, 6:23 am
    • Tina don’t even mention Steve Paddocks name in this. Perhaps Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Charles Manson all had head injuries, NO THEY WERE EVIL MURDERERS! Tell the family of the victims about Paddock and ALL THE HEROS. Are you sure you are alright?? Guy was drunk, hit his head, glad he didn’t kill someone while driving drunk. I am sure the HCSO got him help. Hey I had a concussion when I was young and didn’t turn out to be a Drunk or a murderer. Good day!!.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 2:56 pm
  • Yup if
    Your drunk and get caught driving go to the hospital the lazy HCSO never follows up and you get away with it. I see it happen all the time.

Sunday, 8 October 2017, 9:06 pm
    • Really………do you personally know of any cases where someone is under the influence, is taken to the hospital, and then HCSO never follows up and the person gets away with it? It would be nice if you could follow up that comment with some proof of what you’re saying.

Sunday, 8 October 2017, 9:57 pm
    • Yes, like Joanne wrote, please back up your statement with some facts here. I don’t believe you will be able to name one person or any deputy who may have over looked or was to lazy to follow up on such a situation.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 12:42 am
      • I bet I could provide info but then I would be violating privacy laws.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 9:13 am
        • Right…..Why did I know you would post what you did……I’m sorry but if you’re going to make a comment as you did, you should have something to back it up…otherwise….you are lying.

Monday, 9 October 2017, 3:48 pm
          • Umm… Joanne, Please call me Ms. Nobody since I can absolutely attest to Mr. Nobody’s post & reply!
            *Hint: Can’t speak for Mr. But I work in an ER and if the case is iffy or the blood comes back “close”… I’ve seen nobody EVER being picked up by a ‘Paddy Wagon’! Usually, it’s just a friend or taxi!
            **Not saying it’s Okay but his information is correct!

Monday, 9 October 2017, 6:57 pm