Toddler Found Floating in Pool, Neighbors Question the Tragedy

SPRING HILL – The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a possible drowning of a 1-year-old boy that occurred earlier this morning.

According to officials, Fire Rescue responded to 12416 Killian Street after the toddler slipped through a sliding glass door and fell into a pool. The victim was transported to a local hospital and then airlifted to a pediatric trauma center.

Detectives and the Department of Children and Families are investigating the cause of the incident.

Several neighbors we spoke to say they aren’t surprised to hear of the tragedy and that the mother and father have a long history of violence and arrests.

According to “Tara” who lives a few doors down from the residence, in recent weeks there was an extremely violent incident between the mother, Jessica Lynne Oman, 24, and her husband Keith Michael Averill, 26. Tara says Averill tried to run over Oman and then fled to Pasco County where she says he is still on the run. Tara and other neighbors say there are cars stopping at the residence at all hours and they believe it is associated with drug activity. There are unconfirmed reports that Oman’s children were placed in foster care while she was incarcerated for an extended length of time but they were returned upon her released from jail.

Tara says she was told that it didn’t look good for the baby and that “he was already blue when they pulled him from the water.” Tara witnessed paramedics rushing the toddler’s lifeless body to an awaiting ambulance while they were performing CPR. Tara says the pool was green and isn’t maintained.

There are unconfirmed reports that paramedics were able to regain a pulse before airlifting the child to a trauma center but his exact condition is unknown.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

Comments
  • Just got news that the Mom, Jessica, killed herself today.

Tuesday, 19 September 2017, 6:16 pm
    • You say it like it’s nothing

Monday, 25 September 2017, 6:34 pm
  • Look her up on Facebook. They had the funeral and took all kinds of disgusting selfies making faces, laughing, and appearing to have a good ole time. Wtf!

Wednesday, 9 August 2017, 8:58 pm
    • Who the are you to judge? I was there and it was extremely sad. Nobody had a good ole time because it with my 1 year old cousins service you piece of crap

Monday, 25 September 2017, 6:33 pm
    • Are you serious,,I am her mother,,the baby’s grandmother..Noone at the services waz having a good ole time you moron.I hope you never have a tragedy.
      Losing my grandson was an accident,,losing the mother,,she could not live with the pain.Know the facts

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 6:40 pm
  • Her sister claims the baby was not alone. True cause the 7 year old brother pulled him out. Tg He didn’t drown either. Bet if police or dcf drug tested the mother she would have tested positive. Either her sister is in denial or smoking with her

Sunday, 23 July 2017, 11:51 pm
    • She was drug tested,,CLEAN
      Know the facts

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 6:42 pm
    • DCF did drug test,,,CLEAN
      Know the facts
      SO did detectives,,full investigation
      Accident moron

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 7:40 pm
      • I’m so sorry u have to see these awful comments.You shouldn’t read them. Concentrate on your beautiful daughter and the babies that have been left without their mom. Some people just have no class and no life. Keep your head held high. My prayers are with you. Ignore the noise.

Thursday, 5 October 2017, 3:00 pm
        • Ty
          People are cruel,but we know the truth,they dont.My grandson and his mother my daughter are together once again,,that gives me some peace,she’s not hurting anymore.No one knows what she has been through.The negative ones need to pray nothing happens to their family because accidents happen

Thursday, 5 October 2017, 7:14 pm
  • What a very sad and tragic end. We have been informed that this baby is not going to survive. The family has set up a Gofundme account. The spin on their story is this was just an accident. Plain and simple it was pure neglect. The condition of that home is deplorable. I sure hope the parents get some sort of counseling. From all these posts I have read it seems to be a very unhealthy atmosphere for the other 2 kids.

Saturday, 22 July 2017, 12:37 pm
  • I don’t understand why the father is being blamed when he was not even there? It was the high mother and boyfriend that choose to allow a 1 year old to care for himself. Too bad keith wasn’t successful at the accusations bc if he was the baby wouldn’t of been in pos moms care.

Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 7:21 pm
  • Instead of everyone wasting their breath about other situations please just pray. God will fight the devil and this baby will make it out. I can go onto reasonings why for everyone of your questions but I refuse to waste my breath on negativity because that is the devil getting pleasure and right now I’m on gods side, so for the ones that care the baby is still on life support fighting for his life.

Tuesday, 18 July 2017, 1:23 am
    • AND WE HAVE A HOLY ROLLER!!!!

Tuesday, 18 July 2017, 9:05 am
      • Thats not being a holly roller its doing whatever you can including pray to save your nephews life. Dont be hurtful it couldve been your sisters baby. Accidents happen be happy its not your family.

Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 5:31 pm
    • I even made some negative post but removed them. Our family has known Keith since he was very young. My daughter and his dad were a item for several years and she step- mothered Keith and his brother. With that said Christi, Katie, Rhiannon and their grandmother are sending all of you prayers. We are heart broken that this has happened to Lincoln.

Tuesday, 18 July 2017, 6:05 pm
    • We are praying for Jess Keith and Lincoln along with the boys and entire family . May God be with you

Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 6:54 pm
  • UPDATE ON BABYS CONDITION, PLEASE. I DONT GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE “PARENTS”.

Monday, 17 July 2017, 1:18 pm
  • This is what is wrong with the world today not to mention our community.The title of this article alone invited all of this ugliness. Immediately the judging starts when it should be the prayers that started! If the neighbors were so concerned they should’ve called DCF or the sherrif until someone listened. Sure, it’s easy to judge when both parents have a mug shot but right now that’s not the issue.
    Anyone with a child knows how fast accidents happen. Anyone with a child knows how quickly a toddler can slip away. Anyone with a shred of decency would first and foremost be praying for Lincoln and his family. Let DCF do their job. I don’t know these people but as a parent, my heart goes out to them.

Monday, 17 July 2017, 11:23 am
  • I have a really hard time understanding why parents who have swimming pools or go to other places where there are swimming pools or even beaches or lakes do not prepare for their child drowning. I have an idea which may prevent these horrible deaths of babies and young children. For the child’s first Christmas or first Birthday each parent should buy their child their first life jacket. They have life jackets that if a child should fall into a body of water the jacket is made so that the child will always automatically turn the baby on its’ back. If this happens no water will get into the child’s mouths or nose and this will lessen the horrible outcome of losing a child. If the parent doesn’t have the money to buy one tell the child’s relatives to pool together their money and buy a life jacket for the baby. It’s certainly better than buying the baby a bunch of junk from the Dollar Store or buying a toy that the child will never play with. Be sensible……just like a baby has to be put in a car seat, it needs a life jacket just as much!

Monday, 17 July 2017, 9:28 am
  • Prayers for three family and child.

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 11:14 pm
  • A bunch of squatters that should not have been there. What a shame. Parents like that should not have children.

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 9:08 pm
    • Squatters,,owner of the home knew they were there,,paid rent even had utilities in their name

Tuesday, 3 October 2017, 7:47 pm
  • My thought and prayers are with this little boy

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 5:46 pm
    • TARA is the neighborhood HO!!
      She tries to bang ALL the neighborhood KIDS! Lure em in with video games,& candy. Everyone knows about her.
      She’s just jealous this girl gets all the dope head guys with a little twirk.
      Tara also peeps in windows ,real freak-a-zoid !

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 9:09 pm
  • Prayers for this baby??

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 5:27 pm
  • This is my nephew please keep him in your prayers and leave out the negativity against my sister please

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 4:34 pm
  • This is my nephew you all are talking about Jess has had a horrible past but she is doing better than doesn’t make her a bad parent because she went too jail before please pray for Lincoln he’s the main concern

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 4:30 pm
    • Regardless of her past, obviously she didn’t do a good job childproofing the back door. Because of her actions (or lack of) this child almost died. I understand that sometimes things happen, and I’m by no means for wrapping the kids in bubble wrap, but securing the door is a basic thing.

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 5:36 pm
      • On my sliding glass door it only has a lock up or down and it pushes open. When my son was 2 last year i went to pee and when i came out he was out back with my dog and cat. Things happen even when you thought all was safe. Babies get courious and determined. The baby is not doing well and pointing fingers at the parents is not fair right now. Can you imagine the pain their feeling about this accident they cant take back? Show some respect as you would want the same if it was your child.

Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 5:37 pm
      • Totally agree. Simple safety locks could of prevented this. U can’t stay in bed until whenever u wanna with ur boyfriend after doing drugs all night and claim to be a good parent. The neighbor called everyone out besides the new boyfriend. At least the other article focused on the people at fault.

Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 7:12 pm
    • Does anyone know the condition of the child. That is the most important thing right now. Can’t find any information no one seems to know anything or won’t talk about it. I am a neighbor who lives a few Doors Down they’re little boys used to come by my house they seemed okay but always getting into stuff but I don’t want to see the baby die or suffer irreparable damage. If anyone knows if the baby is okay it would be nice if they would let us know.

Monday, 17 July 2017, 12:11 pm
      • It’s not good. I heard they called in a pastor today.

Monday, 17 July 2017, 8:44 pm
      • From a family he isn’t doing well. He is on life support and is brain dead. Ao damn sad.

Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 7:14 pm
      • God called him home on July 24th at 4:24am

Friday, 28 July 2017, 12:39 am
  • It sickens me to read your comments. This child needs prayers. Instead you all are sitting here bashing the Mom. If the nosey neighbors were so concerned with things, why didn’t you do something about it? Your all so quick to open your mouths now. Bet you have a few skeletons in your closet. Thank God my neighbors are like my family. So please shut up about their so called way of living. Please pray for this child

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 3:17 pm
  • What a tragedy, so sad! My prayers are with the family! I do wonder why there are trolls on here leaving comments judging, demeaning the parents when They (Trolls) don’t even know these people! How dare you comment on such a sad thing with these nasty tidbits, when You don’t even know the whole story?! Terrible! Not helpful to anyone really! Again prayers for the family during this time of tragedy!

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 11:46 am
  • Swim lessons my ass…these young parents need to step up and be RESPONSIBLE for the life they created! Prayers for this poor little bit.

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 9:54 am
  • Prayers for the baby..

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 11:26 pm
    • R sheriff is a crooked dirt bag!
      He needs to be arrested like all the other criminals. He disgust me! REAL low life I tell ya. Let’s see if Tom’s to scared to print this

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 3:26 pm
      • What happened, did the HCSO catch you committing a crime? That’s the only reason you would make such accusations. Come on out and play, bubba!

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 3:49 pm
        • UMMM,,,
          STEALING $2.5M MAYBE!!
          ??
          Kneehigh is a LOSER!!
          (Plus he has a stupid haircut!?)
          Why isn’t he being prosecuted???? Does he know bill Cosby ??

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 9:00 pm
        • NO THE HCSO IS A JOKE and nope never been in trouble EVER…. Just know that they are a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!! ZERO RESPECT AND DO NOT CARE IF ANYTHING HAPPENS TO ANY OF THEM. Hope the baby is ok wish it was a deputy that turned blue!

Monday, 17 July 2017, 9:44 am
      • Haaated liiit what doea the sheriff have to do with this article. Alot of murder cases take a few weeks for an arrest. Lets focus on baby Lincoln and pray. Wish it was the mother od ing instead of the innocent child she chose to not watch

Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 7:17 pm
  • We need prayers plz nothing else matters right now but that baby pulling out of it everything else will fall into place believe me last thing to worry about is rats asshole

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 10:48 pm
  • And to the asshole worried about rats really that’s all you have to say same on you

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 10:39 pm
  • They can’t even take care of there yard how do you think they can take care of a child

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 9:49 pm
  • I thought it was the law that all pools have to be enclosed by something, be it fence or a screened enclosure. Is it not so here in Hernando County?

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 8:51 pm

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 8:32 pm
  • They must have rats , with all those old logs layin’ there ?

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 8:15 pm
  • These 2 just need a ” good OL’ fashion beat down!” That’s the only thing they understand!! Jail don’t work on some people. U just need to beat em’ down good!
    So they don’t get up. Maybe they’ll start to see the light? “YOUR KID DIED IDIOT!”

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 8:12 pm
    • Get it right keith the dad wasn’t living there it was the baby’s mom n her boyfriend sleeping while it happened

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 10:32 pm
      • Sleeping? Really? You mean stoned cold out like a light from DOPE?

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 3:51 pm
  • hopefully the child pulls through and it was nice of tom to use a picture of her from a long time ago. she doesnt look like that any more. waiting for the family or friends to jump in with support comments but shes had years of issues she needs to check in to a center for help honestly. its awful when the parents dont have it together the children suffer unfortunately and end up usually in the same shoes. its a vicious cycle.

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 7:05 pm
  • I suggest she be spayed and when they catch him neuter him. There is no excuse for not locking the door or putting a stick in the track so it can’t be opened!!!! Yes, children in Florida should be taught to swim at early ages. There are people & programs that do so but I guess no one cares. Hernando county what’s up with that??? Prayers go out for the child. Another angel born to two jerks who had fun makin’ bacon but didn’t want responsibility for caring for it. It’s not only a shame it’s DISGUSTING. Prayers for little angel’s recovery and hope DCF gets them a new home with a family that does care.

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 6:49 pm
  • Wow. I think all babies need to go through some sort of swim training before the age of 1. Especially in FL.

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 5:43 pm
    • Yes because forbid the parents should be responsible enough to prevent access to the pool.

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 8:22 pm
      • I think the issue is deeper than just preventing access. When my son was 3, we were at a public pool and he had his floaties on. I was distracted for literally 10 seconds prior to us leaving, when he decided he needed to get his spiderman figure that fell in the pool, 3 foot area. In his mind he still had his floaties on bu t I took it of because we were leaving, and reached in before I could make it he fell in the pool and went straight to the bottom. My heart stopped and I don’t think I jumped so fast in my life. It takes seconds for an accident to happen. He was fine but to think that in just 10 seconds your kid is in the pool at the bottom freaking out. I feel for these parents.

Friday, 21 July 2017, 6:09 pm
    • How about prayers for the baby Lincoln that he makes it through this that’s all we need right now?

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 10:36 pm
      • Yes, I agree. Baby definitely needs our prayers.

Friday, 21 July 2017, 6:04 pm
  • I called dcf about a safety fence many times n also told the landlord when he starting walking nothing done on either side I just don’t understand how it happens how do you let a 1 year old out of your site long enough for that to happen no excuse I’m sorry

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 4:49 pm
    • Not for nothing and i do not know these people, but it’s not always a matter of it being them not watched long enough because sometimes it only takes a matter of seconds for something like this to happen. Accidents do happen, however i do believe that if the mother was under the influence of Narcotics at the time this happened, which it’s a shame the police or DCF can’t test her given the situation, then she should be held fully responsible. She should definitely lose custody and face a harsh prison sentence!

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 10:35 pm
    • Poor baby i hope he pulls through and without any permanent damage. A child that little should always be supervised they can get into anything real quick. Also that wasn’t the Landlord’ or DCF’s responsibility to watch over the baby, it is the parents job to keep a child safe from harm’s way!!

Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 5:51 am
      • This poor baby sadly didn’t make it being a mother of four this breaks my heart especially working at the dr office that this child used to go to.

Tuesday, 25 July 2017, 11:55 pm
  • Please let this child live………please .

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 2:40 pm
  • It’s so important we share our opinions of things instead of just a tragic story. Real news

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 1:24 pm
  • Hope this baby survives, these two don’t deserve to have children. But I believe the two DO deserve each other!

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 1:16 pm
    • It was not the father at the home when the baby got out. It was drugged out mother and boyfriend. Now it does appear father has allegations against him but thats all it is until a jury finds him guilty. Father Probaly wasn’t happy with new boyfriend and mothers drug activity and feared for his child. If he would of ran the mother over this child would still be alive. When are people gonna get u can’t raise a family and do drugs.

Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 6:46 pm
  • Let me just say this is not a drug house since the father is no longer there, this is my family and I know what happened, he slipped and fell in the pool and was rescued right away! All negative comments are not needed as accidents do happen. The boys were placed into foster care but the grandmother(my mom) regained custody a short time after. Everyone knows Tom lemons does not tell the truth and not only that but the ages of the parents aren’t even right that must tell you somethkng.

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 12:47 pm
  • NO fence around pool is big danger , so sorry, if this child does not survive!

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 12:39 pm