Woman Dies After Being Run Over by a Car in Grocery Store Parking Lot

UPDATE: 11/29/2017, 12:05 p.m. – According to the Florida Highway Patrol, 83-year-old Mary Zemcik was traveling in front of the Winn Dixie grocery store, as 67-year-old Maria Resendes Pavao was crossing the street in the designated crosswalk. Zimcik failed to stop for Pavao and ran over her.

Witnesses tell RNRF that several people lifted the car off Pavao before paramedics arrived on scene, but that has not been confirmed.

Pavao was airlifted to Bayonet Point Hospital where she later died.

Charges are pending, according to officials.

WEEKI WACHEE – A woman died this morning after sources say she was run over by a car in front of a local grocery store.

Fire Rescue responded to the Winn Dixie Grocery Store, located at Commercial Way and Cortez Blvd, after witnesses reported that a woman was run over and trapped under a vehicle.

Paramedics arrived on scene and found the victim unconscious and not breathing. The victim was transported to nearby Weeki Wachee Springs, where she was airlifted to a trauma center. Officials confirmed that the woman later died from her injuries.

The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating the accident and a full report will be provided at a later time.

Comments
  • May she rest in peace. Untimely and sad.

Saturday, 2 December 2017, 7:45 am
  • Dear Maria…we had just spoke with each other on Saturday… I am heartbroken that we will no longer hear each others voice, and have our get togethers to catch up. You were enjoying your retirement doing some traveling. God took one of his special angel’s home. RIP dear friend…till we meet again. ❤️

Friday, 1 December 2017, 9:05 pm
  • Maybe start with not being able to renew your Drivers license online after a certain age. As we age Sight, hearing, strength, Reflexes Diminish, I don’t see how some of these people are still allowed to drive. I know of a 99 year old who just renewed his license in the mail, he is so weak he can barely walk, can’t start the car so he uses a screw driver, can’t see well, can’t hear well, I don’t know how he has the strength to use the gas peddle or brake. I can only imagine what would happen if he had to make a quick stop, I know there is no way he would be able to do that. But Florida will still give them a license.

Friday, 1 December 2017, 2:56 pm
  • How sad someone died here and all some of you can talk about is where someone is from? pathetic for sure. I am from the north and can tell you the amount of out of state people who live up there and cause accidents get treated just like people who are born and raised there. Grow up

Now my prayers go out to the family of from what sounds like this wonderful woman. My deepest sympathies to you all

Friday, 1 December 2017, 10:11 am
  • I can confirm that a bunch of people lifted the car off her cause I was one of the people it was the saddest thing I’ve ever had to deal with.
    Please remember the families of all involved could be reading your comments.

I see now what the people standing around while we were trying to save that lady’s life were doing whoever took the pictures should be ashamed of yourself.

I want to say thanks to all the wonderful people that tried to save that lady’s life.

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 10:58 pm
    • On behalf of her sister, who I am with right now and speaks Portugues only, we thank you for stepping up and trying to save her. She was full of life and had a lot to look forward to. Mrs. Moniz (her sister), is sad as one would expect and still in shock. Maria will be missed. Thank you again for being there as most of her family is here in Massachusetts. God Bless and thank you for all your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Thursday, 30 November 2017, 2:21 pm
  • Arrest the 83 year old. Mandatory hearing, sight and reflex tests, every year upon reaching the age of 65.

Snow birds, find another place to live and take your dead beat relatives that moved down here with you. After all, if everything is better “up North” why are all of you here?

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 7:05 pm
    • I am a northern transplant

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 8:13 pm
    • I will continue as my internet is so amazing here…I am a northern transplant…But reality I am more Southern than most of your dumb asses…I am from Texas and have deep southern roots…We are talking so southern Y’all was a 5th grade vocabulary word……Don’t blame it on the tanks…blame it on your local government…No occupancy tax…no rental register..no mobile home tax….Our elected leaders with memory issues are the problem…Pasco is running them out and we have monkey leaders inviting the trash in…truth or fiction?

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 8:22 pm
    • The annual “Dangerous by Design” study by Smart Growth America’s National Complete Streets Coalition assigns each of the 104 largest cities in the country what’s called a Pedestrian Danger Index (PDI). This is calculated by comparing the number of residents who walk to work and the rate of pedestrian fatalities.

Not surprisingly, the deadliest places for walkers are in car-dependent communities with little pedestrian infrastructure and extra wide streets:

1. Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Florida
      15.Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, Texas
      16.Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Arizona
      17.Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, Michigan
      18.Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, California
      19.Baton Rouge, Louisiana
      20.McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas

Almost half of the 20 most dangerous cities are in Florida, the state which has topped the charts for the past four years. (Check out a more detailed breakdown of the data at Smart Growth America.) But the cities on this list have one more thing in common—with the exception of Detroit, they’re all Sun Belt cities with higher populations of elderly Americans. This group, Americans over 65, has the highest risk of being killed while walking, as do lower-income Americans and people of color.

Now for comparison, look at the 10 safest cities for walkers:

1. Colorado Springs, Colorado
      2.Portland-South Portland, Maine
      3.Madison, Wisconsin
      4.Boston-Cambridge-Newton, Massachusetts-New Hampshire
      5.Provo-Orem, Utah
      6.Syracuse, New York
      7.Lancaster, Pennsylvania
      8 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Washington
      9. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
      10.New York-Newark-Jersey City, New York-New Jersey-Pennsylvania

*Smart Growth America

SEEMS LIKE A SOUTHERN THING, SLICK. Now stop trying to be like Lena bringing hate to the board.
      Bring facts not hate.

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 10:12 pm
      • Ok I lived in Florida until 2 years ago. In the 1980’s we saw a massive boom in northerners moving down, we also saw our crime rates and death rates skyrocket with them. In the beginning all everyone saw was the money and work they brought. It wasn’t until 20 years later that we all realized that you are like a plague upon our state. Your crooked land developers destroyed our once beautiful state and build homes on top of swamp land. Your kids brought their gang mentality with them and made once safe neighborhoods dangerous drug havens. People who lived in NYC their entire life’s and never needed to drive now begin driving while in their twilight years and kill people just like this one did. These are all easily fact checked points and are absolutely correct. The difference between me and others is I had enough and left. Florida has become the trash can of our country and sadly it’s going to stay this way for a long time. So unlike the OP I say stay right where you are. Let the rest of the country get a break from you idiots.

Thursday, 30 November 2017, 12:58 pm
        • Hey Tony yo, check the mugshots listed on Tampabay.com, yo. Look at the profiles yo, you’ll see more than half were born and raised in Florida yo. So stop blaming outsiders yo and accept the it don’t matter where yo be born yo to be a trouble maker yo.

Thursday, 30 November 2017, 7:43 pm
    • Crawl back under your cracker

Thursday, 30 November 2017, 5:13 pm
    • This was my aunt and she was a “transplant” from the north!! How dare you call people who decide to move south deadbeats last time i remember this is America and have the rite to live where we wish!! She was a very respected and proud of being a resident of Florida and Boston she loved living in both north and south.Before you go saying hurtfull things about someone you dont know..imagine it happened to you or your family you would have a whole different outlook..

Friday, 1 December 2017, 7:25 pm
      • Your aunt was a friend of my mother and aunt. My mom is heart broken over what happened. She called me the other day crying and in complete shock. I am so sorry for your lost. What a sad and tragic loss.

Sunday, 3 December 2017, 5:19 pm
  • I maybe in the minority here but it is aggravating when I just let 15 people walk by, I start to move and instead of someone walking sideways to let me go they walk right out in front of me and I have to stop again. Half of the people are not even looking to check if a car is coming they expect you to watch out for them.

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 8:21 am
    • John, I totally agree with you. All though we need to let them cross safely they do take it for granted we will see them and stop for them

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 12:16 pm
      • BECAUSE IT IS A PEDESTRIAN CROSSING ZONE. THATS WHAT THEYRE FOR JEEEEEEEEZ

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 12:43 pm
    • John needs to move up north where they apparently have no patience or respect for the law. PEDESTRIANS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY as irritating as that may be.WHAT MAKES YOU MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYONE ELSE?? NOTHING SO GET OVER YOURSELF!!!

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 3:06 pm
    • There is ZERO reason for you to even be driving across the front of the grocery store. Go AROUND the parking lot!!! novel idea, I know.

I never drive in front of the grocery store. it’s so simple. If you enter on the right side of the front doors, park on the right side of the lot! Same goes for the left.

Stop driving across the front of the store just so you can park on the opposite side of the lot and don’t use the parking lot to cut through to other places, and you won’t have this problem.

Monday, 29 January 2018, 7:19 pm
  • In September of 2015 we began posting on RNRF to please slow down, drive defensively, etc. Two years later and NOTHING HAS CHANGED EXCEPT THE VICTIMS!!!!!! And by the way all rude self important people are not only in cars, they are in the stores also. WHEN YOU ARE IN LINE IN A STORE DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS, FINGERS, ETC. ON ANOTHER PERSON TO HURRY THEM UP!!!! I WAS POKED RUDELY IN THE BACK AND I SHOULD HAVE CALLED LEO TO ARREST THE IDIOT FOR ASSAULT. YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT KIND OF HEALTH PROBLEMS A PERSON HAS YOU ARE JUST A RUDE IDIOT. To all posting slow down, etc. save your fingers – it’s come to no one cares no one is listening. I offer condolences and prayers to the woman’s family and friends. I don’t know how to make it better for you or anyone else except to do my part in driving defensively and courteously and being patient IN AND OUT OF STORES. May God bless you and yours.

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 8:15 am
    • How do your join your campaign for please slow down the drivers on Lema dr are out of control they think it’s I-75

Sunday, 3 December 2017, 8:19 am
  • This is the worst place to drive, and there is so few people. You have a better chance of dying under a car in this town than in any other type of situation.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 6:27 pm
  • Prayers for all involved. Truly sad any time of the year but especially at the holiday season. EVERYONE needs to pay more attention; just because someone has the right of way doesn’t always make it the wisest choice to take it. You’ve got 2 eyes, use them; you’ve got a brain, use it. IF you are a pedestrian and you see a car not slowing down, wait the 5 seconds for it to pass by then cross the road. IF you’re a driver and you see a pedestrian fixing to cross the road, STOP & let them cross, 5 seconds isn’t going to make you late for anything. IF you’re on a cell phone either while driving or walking; GET OFF IT! The call can wait 5 seconds til you get in the store or drive to a parking spot. EVERYONE slow down, look around, look twice even, use your common sense. It’s not worth a life. Prayers to all involved & the family.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 5:29 pm
    • NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!! simple eye test and reflex test once a year after the age of 65 would have made a whole lot of difference! sporting thick glasses and following a cane only to jump behind the wheel to drive 2500lbs of metal was the cause of this senseless death!! ps. she was going 5mph. and YES i was there!!

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 12:05 am
  • Sending prayers to all involved

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 4:34 pm
  • The four corners plaza with Walgreens is also a speed zone for many…..bumps make no difference to them. B careful all!

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 4:26 pm
  • for the people who state that a cop can not ticket you for failing to stop at a stop sign in a private parking lot, not withstanding common courtsey…here is your answer…same for parking in a fire lane or not yielding to pedestrians in a crosswalk…(not thank a cop who let you go…your welcome!)

Thanks for your invitation to post my new information as an answer, I
    really wasn’t fishing for that invitation with my posting on the other
    thread. Rather, knowing that you live in Florida, I felt a bit guilty
    about not following through on your original question.

Anyway, below is the excerpt from a recent Advisory Legal Opinion of
    the Attorney General of Florida that confirms that municipal police in
    Florida are authorized under state law to enforce traffic laws on
    private property “whereever the public has a right to travel by motor
    vehicle.” The Opinion also allows such enforcement on private roads
    under certain circumstances:

“This office has previously stated that the provisions of Chapter 316,
    Florida Statutes, are enforceable on private property only when the
    public has a right to travel by motor vehicle on such property.[2]
    This conclusion was based on the language of section 316.640, Florida
    Statutes, which provides, in part, that counties and municipalities
    shall enforce state traffic laws on all streets and highways “wherever
    the public has the right to travel by motor vehicle.”[3] It is the
    availability of the area or place for travel and the right of general
    and common use that makes certain private property subject to public
    control pursuant to Chapter 316, Florida Statutes.

“Thus, municipalities have enforcement authority with respect to
    traffic violations and accidents occurring on “private property” where
    the public has the right to travel by motor vehicle, such as in
    shopping centers and parking lots. In 1987, however, section 316.006,
    Florida Statutes, was amended to supply additional authority for
    municipal law enforcement officers to enforce traffic laws on certain
    private property.[4] As amended, section 316.006 (2)(b), Florida
    Statutes, provides:

“‘A municipality may exercise jurisdiction over any private road or
    roads, or over any limited access road or roads owned or controlled by
    a special district, located within its boundaries if the municipality
    and party or parties owning or controlling such road or roads provide,
    by written agreement approved by the governing body of the
    municipality, for municipal traffic control jurisdiction over the road
    or roads encompassed by such agreement. . . . ‘”

Attoney General of Florida: Advisory Legal Opinion AGO 2004-29, 6/18/04

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 3:37 pm
    • traffic laws like statutory violations enforced not non county issued and non state issued signage. I can stand on my lawn with a stop sign and if some one does not stop at my house at my command, law enforcement can not issue that person a citation for violating my private personal stop sign… smh you have won an award for lack of comprehension skills. ps dont quit your day job… basic english and law interpretation is far too complex for you.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 6:52 pm
    • If you could repeat the message, I’d appreciate it.

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 3:35 pm
  • Situational awareness is seriously lacking nowadays.Too many distractions!

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 3:14 pm
  • I hope she wasn’t on her cell phone

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 2:18 pm
    • NO ONE WAS ON A CELL

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 12:10 am
  • Rest in peace. Prayers for her family. People please slow down and watch for others that are walking out to there cars.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 2:00 pm
  • God bless her and her family.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 1:55 pm
  • People here will make you stand and wait in the driving rain while in their cars to pass a crosswalk!
    We don’t know all of the details about this horrific accident, we can only assume. Things aren’t always as they seem.
    God bless this poor woman and her family. Prayers said…

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 1:38 pm
  • There is no way this should be allowed to happen…….period. Since Drivers & walkers are CARELESS and have no respect or consideration it appears all Strip Malls & Groceries will now have to block off the entire space of roadway outside establishments. The Driver has NO EXCUSE even if the walker wasn’t paying attention. The walker is supposed to have right of way unless the walker darted out in front of the vehicle on purpose.

I was NOT there and I assume nothing… but hearing and learning of the circumstances infuriates me and makes me livid. Or is it as simple as the Driver taught the dead woman a lesson? Please tell me there is human decency left in our society because I’ve lost all faith in our fellow citizens. If that was a member of my family that was run over they’d have to arrest me and keep me locked up from doing unspeakables.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 1:30 pm
  • I go to that store all the time. I hate walking my 2 yr old to get a cart because cars are ALWAYS flying in and out of that parking lot. They need BIG ASS speed bumps to slow ppl down. What’s the rush?? What is so freaking important that you can’t slow down and look around for ppl walking to there cars??? The answer is NOTHING at all . God bless her and her family.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 1:22 pm
  • A death is always tragic but it seems even more so around the Holidays 😢 People are always in such a rush & that may be what caused this woman to lose her life….Now this driver will have to live the rest of their life with what they’ve done…And this woman’s family will have to live there’s without their loved one…Slow down people! Where ever your going isn’t worth the risk of killing or injuring someone!

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 1:16 pm
  • As I walked out of Winn Dixie I saw many people lifting the SUV. Then they pulled the female out from underneath the car. Then many first responders came. There was a concerted effort trying to revive her. She was near a crosswalk. She probably was pulled away from it by the car dragging her. It was an awful scene.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 12:43 pm
    • Thank you, this was my mother and your update means a lot to me. My mother was always careful walking in parking lots, still in shock.

Please contact me at [email protected]

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 5:17 pm
      • Prayers for you and your family. May an angel hold your hand through this time of sorrow. God Bless

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 5:34 pm
      • Sorry for your lost.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 5:40 pm
      • so sorry for your loss prayers for you and your family.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 6:14 pm
      • Robert…we pray you find comfort in knowing that Jesus welcomes her Home in the safetyy of His arms…and find peace in the memories you share…as a community we suffer in your loss…

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 6:37 pm
      • Robert, our sincere condolences to the family. Know that many people are keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. May God keep you and the family during this difficult time.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 6:46 pm
      • How tragic to lose a loved one this way. So very sorry for your loss. I will keep your mother and your family in my prayers

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 6:59 pm
      • Robert, so sorry for your loss of your mother. Prayers to your family.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 7:16 pm
      • So, so sorry for the loss of your Mother. May she RIP, and praying for you and your family to get through this terrible accident. Gold Bless all of you.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 8:49 pm
      • Prayers for you and the people who loved her

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 9:29 pm
      • Hi Robert, I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your mother. You and your family are in my prayers. We don’t know each other but we are praying for you in this absolutely terrible accident. May God Bless you all. Lori

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 1:55 am
      • Sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 3:21 am
      • so very sorry for your loss Bobby, Sandra, Marcelino, Paul and the all the grandchildren, Maria will be missed. Our deepest sympathy to you all
        Mario & Sandy Amaral

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 4:31 pm
      • I’m so sorry to hear about your Mom. She was one of my customers at Walmart pharmacy. She will be missed by us all. My deepest sympathy to you and your family

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 7:37 pm
      • Our sorrow at your loss is boundless, Praying for you and your family.

Friday, 1 December 2017, 10:39 pm
      • Your mother is a friend of my mother and aunt. My mom (Grace, who also lives in Florida) called me to tell me what happened. She is completely heart broken. I am so sorry for your loss

Sunday, 3 December 2017, 5:24 pm
  • Slow thr F&$# down. Its not like you cant wait another five minutes to go home and sit on your ass.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 12:31 pm
  • May she forever Rest In Peace. Prayers to her family & Friends…. God Bless..

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 12:29 pm
  • Very sad! People need to pay attention! So many people just flying through parking lots. Even if your in the cross walk they don’t even stop! IT’S THE LAW IN FLORIDA TO STOP AT CROSS WALKS IF THERES A PERSON STANDING TO CROSS!

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 12:24 pm
    • Unfortunately it’s not the law. It’s private property and people don’t need to stop at the stop signs.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 12:39 pm
      • u r wrong…check the statues….private property or not….

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 3:26 pm
        • ok arm chair attorney. private citizens do not control state and county signage. if i put a stop sign, heck if i put 20 in my yard it doesnt apply to people driving down the road. smh did you eat paint as a child? it would explain so much..

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 6:55 pm
      • A STOP SIGN no matter where it is located means just that….STOP! A stop sign in a parking lot means the same thing as a stop sign on any street corner! I want you to point me in the direction of this so called “law” that you are talking about……! From reading the replies on this post, how can someone be going to fast in a parking lot in front of a store so that the poor woman ended up under the car??? Unreal…..

Prayers to the Family and help from God in dealing with their loss.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 8:20 pm
        • why does it have to be speed and why not not paying attention? human vs 5000 pound object is a no brainer. if you crush someone with thousands of pounds at any speeds its a extremely trauma based. what i said very very clearly is a stop sign on the end of a county or state road is not the same as a stop sign in a private parking lot unless it is maintained by the state or county. It does mean stop and every should use and exercise caution regardless of a sign in a parking lot but private stop signs and the ones with the sticker on the back of them are not the same. its just like if i run up and down the road with a home made speed limit sign. it doesnt mean the cars are subject to my home made sign. whats so hard to understand about that.. the driver either suffered a medical episode had a mechanical failure or was being negligent and reckless. either way its a very terrible situation. why we all need to hug our friends and family bc you never know. dont take life for granted ever either.

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 3:59 pm
    • The law may be written but if a person. Doesn’t follow it then what good is the law? I hope the deceased was paying attention when she was crossing as to allow her every possible chance to avoid the accident.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 12:43 pm
      • true….but if the driver didn’t follow the law, they are liable…if the pedistrian fasil, the driver is still expected to be in totasl control of the car and do the best to avoid…that is the cause of traffic investigations…if this shows both were at fault, the driver will still hold some liability…if driver did all to avoid, of course they will be exonerated…either way, a life was lost in a terrible manner today…

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 6:35 pm
        • Clyde, you’re missing my point. Liability means nothing to a dead person. If you we killed today because your neighbor drove his car through your home, yes the driver would have liability however you’re still dead. My original comment illustrated that more laws would not save anyone.if drivers don’t follow the laws now what will more laws accomplish?

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 9:43 am
          • speak the truth brother..

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 4:00 pm
  • What is wrong with our society that a woman is not even safe in a grocery store parking lot?

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 12:20 pm
  • It is so sad when this sort of thing happens… People in vehicles are in such a hurry to get no where and people exiting assume you are going to stop are the 2 main factors of these circumstances….. What ever happened to what you were taught to “Stop and Look Both Ways Before Crossing Traffic”….. My prayers to the family of the victim…..

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 12:02 pm
    • Per state statute, pedestrians have the right of way.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 12:31 pm
      • Always! You’re right.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 1:34 pm
        • Being right got this lady killed. Who cares if she was right or not, she still needs to look. Dead is dead. I would rather be wrong and still be alive.

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 5:19 pm
          • AMEN! Death Is Forever

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 5:30 pm
          • Shame on you. You don’t know the circumstances and details of what happened. You weren’t there to see it happen. And, you don’t know what was going on in this poor lady’s mind at the time. She could’ve not seen the car coming at all. The car could have hit her from behind. Keep your ignorant comments to yourself until you know the facts.

Monday, 4 December 2017, 7:25 pm
  • Looks like same car that was driving over curbs the other night

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 11:56 am
    • Your absolutely right.. didn’t even think of that..

Tuesday, 28 November 2017, 1:03 pm
      • Not the same. I just watched the video of the wreckless driver. There was luggage racks on that car and not on this one. I do pray for peace for the family of this poor woman that passed.

Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 10:39 am