Greedy Son Accused of Stealing Over $100,000 from His Disabled Father

BROOKSVILLE – A Spring Hill man is accused of committing a despicable act against his own aging father, after officials say he stole over $100,000 from the victim’s bank account.

According to the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office, in October of 2015, 39-year-old Vincent Caliendo obtained Power of Attorney over his father, Bernard Caliendo, after Bernard had been diagnosed with early-stage dementia.  During this time, Bernard continued to care for himself and pay his own bills.

In March of 2016, Bernard noticed discrepancies in his bank accounts and later determined through a criminal investigation that his own son had withdrawn a total of $105,888.99 from his checking and savings accounts.

Over the course of the investigation, detectives discovered several electronic transactions from Bernard’s bank accounts into Vincent’s bank account.  Emboldened with a sense that he would not get caught, on March 29th, 2016, Vincent withdrew $100,863.67 in the form of a cashier’s check from Bernard’s bank account. Vincent then deposited the entire amount into his Fargo Bank checking account located in Clermont, FL. After depositing the check, he then requested the full amount in cash but the bank was unable to fulfill the request due to lack of funds.  On April 4th, 2016, Vincent was given $10,000 and then returned on April 6th to retrieve the balance of $89,472.73 in cash.

Officials say, due to the diligence of the Wells Fargo staff, notes had been placed in Vincent’s and Bernard’s accounts regarding the criminal investigation.  The Clermont Police Department responded to the Wells Fargo Bank and seized the cash from Vincent before he left the premises. On April 20th, 2016, the Clermont Police Department returned to the bank and seized the remaining balance of $89,472.73 from Vincent’s bank account. Those funds were returned to Bernard Caliendo in the form of a check issued by the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office.

In addition to the brazen heist, detectives also learned that Vincent attempted to obtain a “reverse mortgage” on Bernard’s residence. Officials say the final documents were sent for signature but were never completed because they were mailed to Bernard’s residence.

Based on the information gathered during the investigation, detectives obtained a warrant for the arrest of Vincent Caliendo, charging him with Exploitation of an Elderly Person or Disabled Adult and Grand Theft.

Vincent Caliendo was located and arrested in Lexington County, South Carolina on May 30th of this year, thanks to a Crime Stopper tip. Vincent has since been extradited back to Hernando County and he remains in the Hernando County Jail on a $20,000 bond.

Comments
  • It does not get any Lower than this! What a scum bag! How does he sleep at nite? If he only waited he probably would have got it all eventually in his passing anyway! Hope he rots in jail & ganged raped everyday P.O.S

Wednesday, 14 June 2017, 5:44 pm
  • I hope that, if this scum bag has a job, his boss fires him. I hope that everyone who sees his picture and recognizes him shuns him. Don’t serve him in your business; don’t accept cash, checks or credit/debit cards from him for anything. Maybe the lowest scum on earth will get the hint and leave. Just my 2cents

Wednesday, 14 June 2017, 7:34 am
  • My brother did the same thing to our mother, only much worse. He even had the help of our mother’s attorney, who even made a threat to me if I interfered! Our mother went to her grave, trying to save a trust drawn up by her father, in 1959, for the benefit of my brother and me. When she passed away after 6 years in disgusting nursing homes he put her in, that trust was worth over 2 MILLION dollars! My brother had put himself as co-trustee of her estate, and executor of her will. At her death, she was 94 years old and blind.

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 11:47 pm
  • $20.000 come on judge make it $1000.000 this guy is scum

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 8:01 pm
    • You are right Crazy b he is scum. I’m sure if he gets out he will try to do this again to someone else. He has no shame.

Wednesday, 14 June 2017, 12:28 am
    • You know that the level of bail is just to assure your appearance in court,but,kinda think this scum bag has at least 20 grand rat holed somewhere and is indeed a high flight risk.After all they had to capture him in S.C……..

Wednesday, 14 June 2017, 5:55 am
  • stupid is as stupid does.

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 7:59 pm
  • I took care of my mother for her last years alive. For me it was a privilege and honor. NEVER EVER would I have done this.!!!!!!! I was on all her accounts and if there could be any question about any transaction, I would make notes on receipts for family members to know the particulars. I did have a brother & sister-in-law double check all accounts when they visited & answered any questions they had. I considered being a caretaker for mom A PRIVILEGE AND HONOR. The idiot here has DISGRACED himself. I sure hope the elder man has revoked ALL POA, ETC. I also hope dad can find a RESPONSIBLE, RESPECTABLE PERSON to assist him. I will pray for you sir – that you will be blessed with such a person in your later years.

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 6:42 pm
  • Bottom-Feeding Punk!

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 6:13 pm
  • How heartbroken the father must be to think that his son would do this to him. Hang this pos by his balls. He’s a useless human being. Who does this to their father besides a lazy druggie.

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 6:05 pm
    • I was raised to take care of my mother and dad. Being an only child with my father dying when I was young, I always looked out for my mom. We didn’t have money but I made sure my mom had food on her table and spending money.
      I would like this scum bag do some prison time.

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 6:26 pm
      • This story brought tears to my eyes. That poor elderly man. God bless him. I too took care of my father, after my mother passed away and after he lived with a heartless person. My father had been a victim of exploitation prior to him coming to live with me. No restitution at all.
        I went without so he had what he needed, never asking for any help from any of my siblings except when my older brother passed away. I did ask my oldest brother to help then, so my brother wasn’t buried as a pauper. Daddy used to ask me if he was a burden. My response to him was, it was my pleasure to have him with me and it was. There were times that I made sure he ate his meals, and I would skip them, fibbing to him by telling him that I ate while cooking. I can’t imagine anyone doing this to a parent, anyone really. I was raised to respect people and to help when I could. Tables turn when our parents age.
        When my dad passed away, a big piece of my heart went with him. Those eight years with my daddy were the best years. I cherished every minute spent with him. With Fathers Day coming up, it’s a rough time of year for me, as is Mothers Day.
        This low life needs to go to prison for a long, long time. A completely heartless person he is.

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 8:55 pm
  • Low life scum bag. The bail should be 100,000.
    They won’t keep him in jail to long because they have to feed the low life and cover medical if he gets sick. Low life scum !!!!

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 6:05 pm